iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Grease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grease
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone has brought Grease up for discussion before, but oh well. When I was looking at the 70's site and read the write-up about it, it was written so well, and had alot of trivia type information that I never knew about the casting of the movie and the making of it. I never knew Jeff Connolly was married to Olivia Newton-John sister in real life, that was interesting.

I loved Olivia Newton-John in this movie. I loved this movie as a kid, it was one of the very first movies I saw at the movie theater.

I remember my mom and my Aunt taking me. I loved it! I couldn't wait to see it again. I loved the music, I ran out and got the album, and started buying the trading cards and stuck them on my bedroom wall. I bought the photo novel.

It is hard to believe that Olivia is in her 50's now, I guess because when she did Grease she was almost 30 and she was playing a 17 year old, so that is why it seems she got older alot quicker than she did.

I love the title song- Grease...I loved when I heard the Bee Gees sing it on a TV concert.

I also loved Sha Na Na, they were great, and who didn't want to do the Hand Jive....Baby..oh yeah!
Born to Hand Jive!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grease ran in the local theatre for several weeks and I absolutely refused to see it. This was a radical move because it meant that I'd be virtually guaranteeing being home by myself on a Saturday night, but I didn't do disco either, so I was used to it. Over the years I saw bits and pieces of it, enough to convince myself that I was right not to go, even as a social event. I did the same thing with most of the other late 70's/early 80's dance movies (Flashdance, Footloose, Sgt. Pepper,) but made the horridly misinformed mistake of seeing Xanadu on the day that it opened. (Jeez, ELO did the soundtrack. How did I know they'd stoop to roller disco?) It was the one mark on an otherwise unmarred record.
Fast forward to present time. My then 9-year old daughter rented Grease and was fascinated by it. I found a used copy of the DVD for her on Amazon, and would come home to find her sitting on the couch watching the dance scenes over and over so that she could copy down the lyrics to the songs. My punishment for thinking that I was too good to go to dance movies? I got to listen to Grease, Footloose and Xanadu on a seemingly neverending loop for weeks on end. Thankfully she outgrew them before I wound up drooling and crying at the sight of Travolta. (Well, I do that anyway.)
I should add that I've recently been forced into attending a Broadway series with my wife. Live movie musicals! Does it get any worse than that? At least our subscription starts after baseball season.

Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Grease" is campy crap...I don't hate it, but after committing dialogue & songs to memory I can live without seeing it for the rest of my life.

I had a hard time with the Sandy character abandoning her principles and turning into a spandex-clad hooch at the end.

I never liked musicals, except "SNF", so that tends to color my judgment.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it. It'd my favorite movie. Always has been.
This was the first must see movie. This was the movie all the girls at school judged you by: If you hant seen GREASE you were OUT!

I saw it with a friend and her family as a double-bill with SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER...which as an adult seems like a really cool double bill. But as a kid I remember NOT liking SNF and thinking I would have been happier just leaving after GREASE. Cuz GREASE is such a happy spirit-lifter of a movie..and for me SNF was depressing...I felt sorry for Donna Pescow and the guy who jumped off the bridge!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peaches wrote, in part:
quote:
...I saw it with a friend and her family as a double-bill with SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER...which as an adult seems like a really cool double bill...
Strange double-bill! I mean, I can understand it, because they both had John Travolta and were both made by Paramount Pictures and were RSO (Robert Stigwood) productions, and they both had enormously-selling hit soundtracks.

But they had different ratings! "Grease" was rated PG, but "SNF" was rated R. I can see why some teenagers might feel disappointed if they couldn't see it if they couldn't get an adult or grownup to accompany them.

Personally, I think a double-bill should have movies with the same rating.

The only trouble is, the double-bill is now a thing of the past nowadays. [Frown]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is true, except for the Drive-Ins, if you still have one in your area. Except there isn't 1 good movie out any more, let alone try and find another one to put with it.

I would loved to have seen Grease at the Drive-In.

I love the scene where he was Stranded at the Drive-In. I like the little commercial in the background with the hot dog and the bun.

It said that John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John were never sweethearts, even though there were tons of rumors. I have seen her in a charity that she does stuff with Kelly Preston, so I think that is so cool, they stayed friends and do things with each others families in real life.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Grease...I even have a Pink Ladies t-shirt. I remember when it was on tv, a whole new load of kids would be like...."that's ma name...dont wear it out".

Me and my friend keep threatening to have a grease night where we watch it with the sound down just to see if we can talk along with it...haha...oops i just made myself sound like a giant geek!!

This year we're seniors, and we're gonna ruuuuuuuule the school!!"
[Cool]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
the double-bill is now a thing of the past nowadays. [Frown]

I don't know about that...we still get the odd Double, Triple and Quadruple bills over here...

Sat through the LOTR trilogy in one day at a local cinema...was awesome!

And in total disagreement to Isis, there are plenty of films that could get double-bill releases today...would name a few, but what's the point?

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That is true Noms, what is your point-so please spare me.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is I could name a dozen movies to which you would reply that

A: You haven't seen them so they don't count.
B: You don't class them as suitable movies so they don't count.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The was absolutely one of my cousins and mys favorite movies to watch. When we would rent movies this would always be one that we would rent over and over. It was also one of the first films on VHS that I ever bought, which has been a long time ago.

It is so funny how cheap movies are now compared to how much they were 15 years ago. I worked at a video store, it wasn't until about 1993 that movies that were blockbusters started selling for lik 19.99. One of the first ones I remember getting to buy lots of at the store was Mrs. Doubtfire!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREASE is one of the worst, most annoying movies ever made. I'm not just saying this to cause trouble; it's just plain crap with a bull**** camp following the like that is reserved for the equally pathetic ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. ahh hell, Musicals in general are crap!
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, really? I psychotically LOVED this movie. I can say every word from start to finish. It was the first movie that I ever truly loved. I agree that it probably wasn't a great message to kids: change into tarty clothes and take up smoking to get the guy you want. Also wasn't great to imply that Sandy was a square because she didn't drink or smoke. I think I got curious about both soon after watching this film. Oh well, the follies of youth!

However, I genuinely think this movie was a visual and auditory fiesta. It was such a lively, fun film and I found it magical!

"Brusha, brusha, brusha, new Ipana toothpaste,
Brusha, brusha, brusha, it's better for your teeth"

"A hickey from Kenicky's like a hallmark card...when you care enough to give the very best". Grease is the WORD [Cool]

Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home