iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Firefall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Firefall
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else love them??

I like the songs:

You are the Woman

Just remember I Love You

and

Strange Way

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw them back in 1976. They were opening act at a Beach Boys/Doobie Brothers concert.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I can't find a copy of Strange Way. All of the other hits are available from the two music sites I buy from, but not this one. I've got it on vinyl, and I've recently purchased a computer that allows me to hook my turntable directly into the sound card, so I could make my own copy, BUT I CAN'T FIND THE ALBUM!!! It hasn't been that long since I had it out, but it isn't in any of the traditional spots where I leave things. Firefall always fit into the same category as Poco in my mind, and Strange Way and Heart Of The Night just sound great together on a mix tape (cd).
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange Way is on the their Greatest Hits CD. I have it...it has Your are the Woman, and Just Remember I Love You.

Strange Way is probably my favorite song they do.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not a big fan of the group, but I enjoyed some of their hit songs. Nice, easy-listening pop.

The original singer was Rick Roberts, who left in the early 80's, then returned but only for 1992-93.

The group is still around, but they had so many members changed since the 70's, it's almost a different band today.

But original member Jock Bartley (lead guitar) is still around.

Isis, you might want to check out:
http://www.firefall.com

The site has a lyrics and chords page! [Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Strange Way is on the their Greatest Hits CD. I have it...it has Your are the Woman, and Just Remember I Love You.

Strange Way is probably my favorite song they do.

IIRC, the hits package has the single version of Strange Way, not the album cut. They cut out the long solo in the middle.
I hate when they do that.
Speaking of 70's artists getting chopped, I bought a Supertramp collection when I first got my cd player. It was one of those A&M Classics collections and I had already started taping it and was singing along when it came to the "whistling" section of the song. I puckered up and started to whistle along, but the cd just jumped to the next verse. Man, was I P.O.'d. I'm pretty careful about that now. I read reviews on cds before I drop a dime on them.

[ 23. March 2005, 12:55: Message edited by: wallyum ]

Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Firefall along with Ambrosia and Orleans when I wasn't being a disco queen, especially Ambrosia.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
Yeeee! I missed out on the disco thing. I'm only now starting to realize how good the Bee Gee's stuff on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack really was. Even though it wasn't my thing, I can respect the idea of someone at the top of the game, and that's what they were at that time. The disco era was a bad time for me. I wouldn't go back to that time period for anything.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I was about 9 years old when the Disco thing was cool.

I loved the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I still love the Bee Gees, and KC and the Sunshine Band...I loved "The Hustle, and songs like...Boogie, Oogie, Oogie....and Rock the Boat, and all that fun stuff.
[Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't a song from the SNF soundtrack that I can't tell you exactly what's going on in the movie at that moment...SNF music & dialog is ingrained in my brain.

Here's what an 18-year-old disco queen was jamming to in 1977:

~Boogie Oogie Oogie
~Groove Line
~Brick House
~Devil's Run
~Push, Push, In the Bush [tee-hee]
~pre-Macho Man Village People stuff
~Give It To Me [awesome early Rick James]
~Let's All Chant
~Casanova Brown [THE ultimate bus-stop tune by Gloria Gaynor]

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
Forgot one my all-time fave dance songs ever:

~Got To Give It Up

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
What about....

I will Survive-Gloria Gaynor

there are other songs that I think of during that era...that aren't technically disco..I don't think...but I think are borderline...

like...

Moonlight Feels Right

Afternoon Delight

I love Saturday Night Fever too, and I have been wanting to watch it again for a long time.

People falling off bridges seemed to happen alot in the 70's too.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I like the songs....

Good Times-Chic

and

Send Me Forget me Nots

and

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
'Forget Me Nots' was an '80s tune, I'm almost positive.

'Afternoon Delight' should not be mentioned in the same company as the rest of the above...eeee-yew.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Hipster's post:
quote:
"Forget Me Nots" was an '80s tune, I'm almost positive...
Positive! It was a hit for Patrice Rushen in 1982.

It was later butchered for the Men In Black movie theme song by Will Smith many years later.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh well, I still like it no matter when it was made.
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I like it too...I remember seeing Patrice Rushen do it on "Soul Train."

Now there's a memory...anyone watch "Soul Train" every Saturday...I know I did!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah I loved Soul Train...that's why I loved the tribute on the TV Land Awards. Look how much fun they had doing that show. It was like American Bandstand, and shows like Solid Gold, and Dance Fever...where people actually knew how to dance, not the stuff they do now. There is one style of dance now...and you when see people dancing now, and they look like they having sex- (and that's putting it mildly)...that isn't dancing.

I miss videos where people actually had cool coreographed dance sequences.

I just don't understand what happened.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home