iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Favourites....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favourites....
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was your fav 70's movie and/or band??? What was so great about it??? [Razz] OR... What was your fav movie ABOUT the 70's? [Wink]
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite movie about the 70s is definitly Dazed And Confused. It was very real and very funny. I just loved it!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
favorite 70's movie? Well I gotta go with a few...

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest- my all time favorite movie (the ultimate combination of comedy and tragedy)

Over the Edge (The BEST teen angst film EVER)

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick's best)

Mad Max (Ever one of them are favorites)

as for music...David Bowie, no question.

also (not far behind) Alice Cooper and The Damned

Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love David Bowie too. Was Towering Inferno a 70's flick? That was also a favourite of mine, also the Posidon Adventure. My mother took me to see the [Smile] se at the cinemas.
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, Bowie's one of my favorites in every decade thereafter as well.
Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
For dj...have you seen David Bowie in The Hunger???It's a vampire movie. What about Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence? I mean, I absolutely love his music of course, but I was wondering if you were into his movies too?
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
Yeah, I've seen just about every Bowie movie, my opinions are definitely mixed...

The Hunger started out great then kinda went downhill, in my opinion. not because i'm biased, i just think his character was one of the strongest (made a great vampire) and he was "killed off" too early in the story.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence was a bit of a letdown. But great acting by Mr. Bowie.

Labrynth was a great movie. An 80's "muppet" classic. Bad hair, but a great performance. and great songs too.

The Linguini Incident...I actually liked this one. A quirky little comedy, and a very good comedic performance from him. I even laughed out loud a couple times.

Mr. Rice's secret was a letdown. Cliche. Nothing special at all.

B.U.S.T.E.D. was horrible. Bowie's character was good, but in a practically unwatchable movie. (the kind you get embarrased watching.

Last Temptation of Christ...great movie, great (albeit brief) performance of pontious pilate.

Absolute Beginners...don't care for this one, too much singing and dancing for a movie that doesn't have Oompa Loompa's in it -But I love the song. And he's only in it briefly, kinda as himself.

Basquit (sp?)...so-so movie for a biopic on an artist who's work i wasn't crazy for...Bowie did a good job as warhol though.

The Man Who Fell To Earth...classic. the quintessential Bowie movie...this part was written for him. I only wish they went with the original thought of using "Low" as the soundtrack.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out -other than say, Zoolander with it's as-himself cameo.

so yeah, i'd say, as great as his music is, his movie's range more often from so-so to good with a few great ones and a few duds among them.

having a strong screen presense, he's definitely proven he can act. picking out roles might be another story.

Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
You sure know your stuff! I agree with everything you said. You are hard-core! [Razz]
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
Hehe...Yeah well, I confess, I'm somewhat of a Bowie-nut.

Nothing particulary wacky though, I just really dig his work.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DJCSuperstar:

Did David Bowie make another film in the late 70's or early 80's called "Gigolo"? If you saw it, how was it?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
to my knowledge, no.

but i did fail to mention that itallian western: "Il Melio West" (which i'm sure is spelled horribly wrong)

Into the Night w/ jeff goldblumn...I liked this one

Yellowbeard and Baal.

Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Led Zeppelin is by far the best in my book.

Boston, Bad Company, Van Halen, Eagles, etc. I like them all.

Best 70's movie is "Aloha Bobby & Rose"

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Eagles play in Milwaukee this summer for 3 hours! That was a GREAT concert.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Blazing Saddles on tv last night. Definately not a movie they could make today, but if you forego all the 'political correctness' and 'racial epithet' cr*p that's thrown at it now and just watch it as a comedy, it's very, very good!
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home