iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » ??????????????//

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ??????????????//
Carter
Rewind Curious
Member # 2349

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is everyone talking about 'Love Boat', 'Little House on the Praire' and flaired trousers? I remeber the 70's apart from some great films the entire decade sucked, especially the TV and the clothes.
Posts: 3 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way, it did not, you weren't paying attention or something, because it was great, and that was the best years for television shows ever. All in the Family, Sanford and Son, BJ and the Bear, Chips, Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels, Happy Dyas, Laverne and Shirley, Little House on the Prairie, Charlie's Angels, Family, Eight is Enough, The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, Isis and Shazam, The Kroft Super Show with Land of the Lost, Donny and Marie, Sonny and Cher, that was the best time for tv, and it never has been the same.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carter, why did you come on the 70's rewind for, if you hated that decade??
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were there...it was great...so what if it's over...doesn't mean your memories are!

Hell hath no fury like Isis and Hipster scorned!~wink

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh... the seventies, 'Make love not war'
Peace Carter [Razz]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carter
Rewind Curious
Member # 2349

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love 70's movies. the rest sucked.
Posts: 3 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I actually love the 70's more than I love the 80's, and everyone knows I loved thed the 80's alot.

But the tv shows were the best in the 70's. And I loved going to school in the 70's, and that's when I was in elementary school, so I remember it being such a great time period in my life.

I wish more people remembered it, and wrote more about it.

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 70s seemed like a fun time, a time when society had a conscience and tried to act upon it: community spirit, getting stoned, making love, hugging trees, opposing war, fighting Nixon, lighting incense, listening to ‘The Doors’, white suits, getting stoned and putting on some John Lennon. [Wink]

I was reading Hunter S. Thomson’s ‘Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas’ the other day, and he talks about Tim Leery and the revolution not being able to live up to its promises, for those of you that remember; why didn’t the ‘peace’ and ‘counter-culture’ drive win, as many people thought it would?

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jenn perspective:
I was a little young for all that revolutionary stuff and those people were too unkempt for me. I was a catholic-schoolgirl-by-day/disco-chick-by-night whose only serious thought was whether my ensemble matched and boys liked me. The idea of hugging a tree wearing dirty ripped up clothing would have given me a case of the vapors.

To coin a phrase from a '40s movie: I'm the only cause I'm interested in.

[Jeez, I hope the '80s Avenger doesn't get after me for referencing out of decade again.~wink]

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I forgot to add though: yes, it was fun because I think we should all look back at our grade school/high school years and know we had fun.

I did...and I still do [have fun, that is]!

~Jenny from the Burbs

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My Aunt is a total hippy, will be til the day she dies, and it has gone on from the 70's to the 80's, and 90's, and I had to deal with things through her, like all of her girl friends, didn't shave their arm pits, and came in their barefeet to her wedding.I remember how well she dressed in high school-she had the coolest clothes, and when she got to college, she wouldn't even wear underwear cause it was too binding. My Aunt use to take me to college in the summer with her, and I would stay with this group of hippies, one was growing pot in an old toilet he kept in his bedroom as a decoration.Ihad no idea what pot was, still really don't. I remember eating dinner with all the hippies, and eating a salad they had picked out of their own garden, and I ran to the bathroom to throw up, and there was a picture of an unborn fetus on the wall above the sink.
They all ate tiger lily buds in a salad once, and picked them at the time of year they were poisionous and they all got sick.
My Aunt was majorly in to defending wildlife, and I got to be Miss Grizzly Adams, and I remembering I thought I was doing my part to save animals, when me and my brother found a leg hold trap, and smashed it, and buried it, then the police showed up at my house.
I was always making posters that said Do Not Litter, and my favorite magazine was Ranger Rick.
I thought it was all cool, until my Aunt got older and told me if I circumcized my son, I was horribly mean and cruel, and she hoped I had all girls. I finally realized that eating tofu was not for me.
I got tired of listening to "check my house for radon", check my vegetables for pesticides, and my carpeting for chemicals that might kill me, tell my husband that golfing would kill him because the greens are sprayed with major chemicals.
I had to hear how I should have my baby at home instead of in a hospital, because her friend did, and then they kept the placenta in the freezer until spring, then they dug a hole and buried it, and planeted a tree with it, for good luck for that baby.
How not to cry at a funeral, but to get a bunch of balloons, and have a giant party for that person, and be glad they were dead, because they had a great life.
Yep...I know first hand the ups and downs of being closely linked to a real life hippy.

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I never aspired to be a hairy-pitted, peasant-dress-wearin' granola head though I certainly remember them. The mid-late '70s high school crowd [in my recollection] were divided into the disco camp [me] and the Dazed & Confused ilk. I couldn't get into any group where being "unkempt" was a prerequisite.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I know what you mean about the 2 groups of hippies...I hope you didn't think I thought you were in my Aunt's group.

I was just saying about some of the crazy things we had to go through because of her and her hippy days, and she still does them.

I remember when my mom put something in the microwave at my grandparents, my aunt ran out of the room with her hands over her head, thinking she was going to be exposed to radiation. My mom made popcorn once and put salt on it, and my aunt threw it all out cause she said to my mom "are you trying to poison us?" I remember travelling 11 hours in the rain to get to her house, and didn't even get in the door long enough to take my coat off, before they were showing me their 8,000 oven-which was called an Aga, you rarely see them here in the U.S, they are more popular in England, I had to hear how my electric stove was going to give me ovarian cancer. We would hide Little Debbie snack cakes in our van, because if we stayed with them, it was awful. I can't eat peanutbutter, that is all natural with oil on the top, or cereal that you know the box would taste better, or tofu turkey, and tofu ice cream...not for me. We weren't allowed to put hair spray on in her house, we had to go outside. That stuff to me is so extreme.

It is good to have beliefs, but hers also change on a daily basis, based on the last thing she read in some study on something, which everything you can find another study on the same thing that proves that theory wrong.

She wonders why it has been so long since we have gone to visit.

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
Heavens no, I didn't think you thought that!

LOL...your aunt sounds like an extremist. Yes, it's great she has convictions...OTOH I just don't get it in the long run.

eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel I was lucky to experience the 70s and the 80s. For me I feel very lucky now looking back. I loved all about it the movies and tv shows and music. The clothes were funky but man I love it when my parents wore them. Come to think about some of my clothes that I wore to elementary school was funky too but it was a great time back then.
Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home