iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Purple Rain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Purple Rain
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched this last night and loved it [Smile] Prince has got to be one of the top icons of the 80's, right? He was not a great actor by any means, but the songs in the movie overshadowed all of that. It's also cool to see people like Morris Day, Apollonia 6, and Prince's Revolution band act in this movie.
 -
 -

My fave songs from the movie:

The Beautiful Ones - Prince and the Revolution
Take Me With U - Prince
Computer Blue - Prince and the Revolution
Sex Shooter - Appollonia 6
Jungle Love - Morris Day and The Time

Actually, all of Prince's songs were awesome!

My Mom was bragging to me the other day about how she saw Prince in concert during his 'Purple Rain' tour and I have to say I'm pretty jealous...If I could get in a time machine, I would definitely go back to the 90's and see him live!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favs...a movie I often put in for background noise when I'm doing other things. This is one of the first movies I picked up on Blue Ray. In terms of 80's music icons, Prince is right up there with Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, Boy George, etc, etc....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morris Day and the Time stole this movie from Prince. And I totally agree that it is an excellent flick, but I so wish Vanity had been it and sang "Nasty Girl" with Vanity 6.

What time is it?

Prince is a music genius, but actually too far ahead of the listening audience. When Prince releases a CD.. you need to wait about 5 years before listening to it.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, I agree with you about vanity...a lot of people probably like apollonia but she was really just a stand in for vanity in the movie and the group.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best movie ever.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it in the theater. Love how they played the intro to Purple Rain throughout. So much passion during The Beautiful Ones! Not to mention Darling Nikki-dirtiest song ever. It was more than people expected from him I think-the portrayal of domestic violence and how it shapes people. Have the LP, probably a 45 or two also [Smile]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with Prince back in the "Controversy" days.. I played that cassette tape on my boombox during nerf roof ball games with friends .. such great fun!

And The Time's "What Time Is It?" ..

Gigolos get lonely too!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meh...i don't really like this movie

but the soundtrack's ok I guess:cool:

[ 01. December 2010, 21:46: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smee
Rewind Curious
Member # 9294

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for smee   Email smee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Prince and Purple Rain is my favourite song he's done by far but never seen this film. Will definately be watching this now! :-)
Posts: 4 | From: Midlands | Registered: Nov 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to the theater to see it with a few friends. Morris Day definitely had you dancing in your seat. The entire movie was awesome,even though Prince and Appolonia couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
This is raw rough cut version with just vocals .. but it is of Vanity 6 singing "Sex Shooter" long before Apollonia 6 ever existed.

If Vanity had been in "Purple Rain" .. I'd probably watch it quite often.

- Vanity 6 - Sex Shooter

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to watch Purple Rain for the first time ever tonight! [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I'm going to watch Purple Rain for the first time ever tonight! [Smile]

Oh my god!!! I wish I were there with you!!! How exciting! Can't wait to hear your take on it. The performances are insane & how about that first love scene between Prince & Apollonia?!?..

I just bought the Blu-Ray...it's phenom!! I think I need to fall asleep watching this now...Thanks Muffy!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked it and I loved the music.....but as a whole I didn't "love" the movie.

I'm not feeling the way I did when I watched other classics for the first time this year (ie: Rad)...........I do love Prince and I wonder if i'd feel differently if I grew up with the movie as a kid.

The music performances made the movie for sure...that's why I can say I loved those parts!!! Appolonia sure does have a great smile and charm...... [Smile] and the kid is so damn mysterious hahah

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just need to purify yourself in Lake Minnetonka, then you will see... :-)

Seriously, I'm with you on Purple Rain, Muffy. It's such a product of its time that you probably had to be there when it was first released. I was, and while I do like it and admire its filmmaking craftsmanship, it's not an all-time favorite for me. It's a good, colorful movie with great music. (Nobody beats Morris Day and the Time.) I haven't seen it in a long time. I'll have to revisit it to see how it has aged.

[ 07. December 2010, 08:32: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't like Purple Rain then, and I don't much like it now. I like the music. But as a film I found it average at best.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I really enjoyed it....I'm still waiting on the extras dvd from netlfix to watch.. [Smile]

So I was discussing it with a buddy and his wife is from MN.....she's a huge Prince fan. I told him 'I Would Die 4 You' was probaly my favorite song from the movie. He said that was his wife's and that when they saw him in concert all the girls were signing it back to "the kid" (I just liked that so much)during the whole song ha!

and Crash........ewwwwww! ha!

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muffy, i love this movie [Smile] i know it's not what most would consider a "great" movie haha, but i grew up watching it. my parents loved prince's music and we had his records so i just followed suit, i guess. the acting isn't all that either, but it's those performances within the movie, that are awesome. [Smile]

in my opinion, purple rain is one of the best songs ever written, amongst a ton of others, of course.

i love the extras on the dvd, the interviews with lisa and wendy, and the premiere of purple rain hosted by mtv! to see those hair do's at the time, made it so worth it haha!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen it but i´m going to get the 2-disc dvd soon.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watching "Purple Rain" on Blu-ray tonight.. the picture and sound are amazing!

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any good new features on that blu-ray disc, Val?
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
SA.. there are outstanding features on the Blu-ray disc:

Director & Producer Commentary

First Avenue: The Road To Pop Royalty

Purple Rain: Backstage Pass (making of)

The impact of Purple Rain

All the Music Videos

MTV Premiere Party

Trailers

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the list, Valley. I *think* those are the same extras that were on the dvd? I don't have my copy handy to cross-check. Can anyone help me out?
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SA they are all on the deluxe dvd, but i am questioning the commentary?? that might be on there too, i would have to go look at it, but the rest are there , for sure.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was on the other day so I thought I would check it out. started watching in the middle somewhere. The acting was not very good and I ended up turning it off after awhile. it was on a few days later so I thought I would give it another shot. While it was the same I saw the humor in the bad acting. Perhaps I will watch it all in the future for some laughs.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home