iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it's the holidays, this has been one of my fave movies since i was 13 and my fave comedy ever. Who adores this masterpiece?
Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secret Admirer mentioned it as a great Thanksgiving film .. so I actually watch it tonight.

Great buddy flick.. the motel room scene is extremely funny.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite simply the best motion picture ever made. Put together two highly sympathetic characters, a strong storyline, and mercilessly delivered humor (if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the entire going the wrong way scene), and it's no wonder people hold it in such high regards today (Ebert included).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote in the Thanksgiving thread that I never really watched it until Wednesday!

I'd always seen clips of the "those aren't pillows"

but omg that whole scene had me rolling from the kiss on the ear to "why are you holding my hand?" [Big Grin]

the wrong way scene was great too because it was done well Martian and Candy and their facial expressions lol that scene could have been cheesy and predictable but they made it hilarious and "snort laugh" worthy [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always watch this at christmas...love this film, John Candy was brilliant in this, so many great scenes.
Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always well up when Candy gives that "I like me... my... my wife likes me" speech.

quote:
I wrote in the Thanksgiving thread that I never really watched it until Wednesday!
McFly... *I mean* McMuffy! I have a giant crate of tardy slips here for you! Too bad you live in the 80's where I can't get to you! Wait... I live in the 80's too! That means I can get to you! The tardy-slip Terminator!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
I always well up when Candy gives that "I like me... my... my wife likes me" speech.

It resonates because he says it not just for the character and not just himself as a person, but for everyone who's ever been put down for being different.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

This is the Darryl Strawberry shower curtain ring.

The movie is genius. Oddly, the only other Thanksgiving movie that I like is Dutch. That has nearly the same design to it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always a favorite around this time of year. In fact, there a bunch of John Candy flicks that are a requirement around the holidays.

Just posted a little something about this on my site, check it out!
http://uncletnuc.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanks.html

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNUC! I love your graphics, and awesome write-up. I'll check out more of your stuff for sure.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It resonates because he says it not just for the character and not just himself as a person, but for everyone who's ever been put down for being different.
*HIGH FIVE*

quote:
TNUC! I love your graphics, and awesome write-up. I'll check out more of your stuff fer shuuure.
Fix'd.

Nice site TNUC!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched this movie last week and of course died laughing. I mean, it is such a perfect movie. My wife and I quote this weekly! I'm already excited to watch it again. Hopefully this weekend!

Anytime we see a city that ends in -ville we drop the stubbville line.

Woke up several times this week singing "I'm back in baby's arms"

"you're going the wrong way!"

"OH HE'S DRUNK!"

I could go on all day with everything we use from this.

I also have come to the conclusion that Tommy Boy used several of the same ideas, scenes, from this movie (with their own twist). I don't think they tried to steal them, but more giving a nod to Planes Trains. It seems like a tribute to this great movie.

Hope many more of you are enjoying this film around the holidays!

GG

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a classic!
So funny and touching film, i laugh and cry (during the final scene) everytime i watch it.

Martin and Candy have perfect chemistry and the supporting cast rocks too.
I also love the soundtrack.

"Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?"
"No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio."

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
devo, i am a big fan of dutch too!

pta, uncle buck and trading places are one i always watch around novemeber/december

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatched PTA and what can i say, it´s perfect 10.

The radio still works [Smile]
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but the speedometer has melted ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely a classic,it cracks me up everytime I watch it!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I just quoted PTAs a few weeks ago. A lady started driving down the exit ramp right in front of us and we started yelling "you're going the wrong di-rection!" "You're going to kill someone!"

She stopped about half way once she figured out cars were driving towards her, so it was a funny moment, not anything serious.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home