iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Would love to find this film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would love to find this film
ttwomb
Rewind Curious
Member # 9195

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ttwomb   Email ttwomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working on my PhD on Apocalyptic film and literature. I vaguely remember a movie from, I think, the early 80s that would be perfect for me to analyze, but I can't remember the name.

The basic premise is that a group of people are placed (voluntarily) into a nuclear bomb shelter for a prescribed period of time (can't remember how long exactly) as an experimental test run to see what would happen to people if there was an actual nuclear disaster and they had to survive in these sites. While they are in the bomb shelter, a "real" nuclear event occurs (well, you find out later that it is really all part of the experiment to see how people would react, but the people in the shelter -- and the audience -- think it's real at the time).

I do not remember any of the actors or the rest of the plot, but I do remember seeing the movie on HBO many times. I thought it was an HBO original movie, but I could be wrong about that. If you have any idea what the title is, I would be indebted.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttwomb, the film in question is most probably "Control" (1987).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092781/

I happen to own a copy of this film.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttwomb
Rewind Curious
Member # 9195

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ttwomb   Email ttwomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have sworn it was from the early 80s, but that seems like the right movie. Do you know, is there a scene, after the announcement of the "impending" nuclear disaster, where the people inside the shelter are pounding on the shelter door, begging to be let in, and the people inside are having a huge argument about whether or not to let them in? And then one person (a guy, I think) decides to leave the shelter rather than live with the guilt of letting all those people die? That's the only scene I actually remember.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttwomb
Rewind Curious
Member # 9195

Rate Member
oops... I meant the people OUTSIDE the shelter are pounding on the door begging to be let in.

Sorry, it's late. :0)

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot about this movie. Thanks LwC.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ttwomb:
I could have sworn it was from the early 80s, but that seems like the right movie. Do you know, is there a scene, after the announcement of the "impending" nuclear disaster, where the people inside the shelter are pounding on the shelter door, begging to be let in, and the people inside are having a huge argument about whether or not to let them in? And then one person (a guy, I think) decides to leave the shelter rather than live with the guilt of letting all those people die? That's the only scene I actually remember.

Those scenes do in fact occur in the film.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Centerwall
Rewind Curious
Member # 9916

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bruce Centerwall   Email Bruce Centerwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to find PORTFOLIO and THE LOOK on DVD.
Posts: 3 | From: Elk River, MN | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Portfolio is a great film.
Check out the Portfolio Rewind thread

I would love to see The Look (1985) too!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Centerwall
Rewind Curious
Member # 9916

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bruce Centerwall   Email Bruce Centerwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have PORTFOLIO on VHS but would love a re-mastered DVD someday.
Posts: 3 | From: Elk River, MN | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
portfolio is a gr8 watch! thanks atomik for the thread link. woo hoo
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home