iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » RAD - The Helltrack 25th Anniversary Edition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RAD - The Helltrack 25th Anniversary Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Alright dudes & dudettes.. let's walk this sucker."

This thread is dedicated to the movie "RAD" and the fact it will celebrating its 25th Anniversary next year. Think of this thread as being for advanced RAD enthusiast.. below is the original gnarly RAD thread if you want to start as a beginner on this hidden gem from 1986:

a RAD Thread from 2008

Before I get too far into this sucker.. let's start with a little tune to listen to while we have some fun:

"Break The Ice" by John Farnham

-

"The paperboy thinks he's a pro."

Even though "RAD" was released with only marginal success back in 1986, it has grown to cult status throughout the years. Many BMX bikers today view "RAD" as the holy grail of BMX movies and Bill Allen's character Cru Jones as an iconic figure. Bill himself has been overwhelmed with the outpouring of appreciation for a movie that he admits to barely remembering making. I've always thought it was crazy that people like us can recite numerous quotes from our fav 80's flicks and the actors/actresses from those same movies struggle to remember much about their experience.

I have stumbled on some incredible pics and discoveries recently with regard to "RAD" that I want to share.. but I must thank a dude named Jeremy Moser who was actually a BMX stunt rider in the movie for many of the pics. Thanks Jeremy..

-

How about the RAD script autographed by the writer Sam Bernard? I scored a non-autographed copy of the script recently myself and it was a blast to read.

"You're willing to sacrifice a solid future for a bicycle race. It's very self-destructive."

Let's pause for a moment to change tunes.. switch it up a bit with a club mix of "Send Me An Angel":

"Send Me An Angel" by Real Life

-

On the original thread, I mentioned that Laura Jacoby (Muffy are you playing attention now?) that played Wesley in RAD was also Suzi's little sister Peggy in "Valley Girl".. which is awesome karma since everyone knows how much I cherish that amazing flick. But let's discuss the goofy tandem that are the dancing machines Rex and Rod Reynolds played by real life twins Chad and Carey Hayes. Similar to the movie, these guys still seem to do almost everything together. Have you heard of movies like "Crowned and Dangerous" or "First Daughter"? Rather guilty pleasure type flicks, but would you really expect anything different from these guys? Btw, were those outfits from the school dance really used in the mini-series "V"?

-

Above are a few pics from the movie to get you ready for the next tune which is currently my background music and inspiration for this thread:

"Thunder In Your Heart" by John Farnham

-

Anyone else a huge fan of Luke (Jaime Clarke)? He was so cheated out of his chance at Helltrack.. in fact he was actually leading Cru at the time of his unfortunate accident. Thought Becky (Marta Kobler) was awesome as well. I'll sometimes repeat the scene when she is riding beside Luke during qualifying offering him encouragement. Oh and you might recognize her from another fav of mine.. "Friday the 13th: Part 2".

And 'What about Blob?' Wait make that Bob the cook from Cru's workplace. I love how his character develops throughout the movie.

"Bob, the name is Bob, not Blob. Smart-a*s."

[ 01. August 2011, 18:12: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Hey, I found a few more fans of RAD and Helltrack. Recognize anyone?

There are rumors floating around the internet that Redbull is thinking about reconstructing Helltrack for the film's 25th Anniversary. If that happens I might just make that roadtrip!

Speaking of Helltrack..

-

How about this awesome pic from when they were constructing the original Helltrack for the movie. I've heard that the original drop in ramp was so steep that even the pros like Eddie Fiola and Beatle Rosecrans feared it!

-

Anyone else thinking that Jeff Spicoli was wearing these official RAD shoes first? Either way, I've just got to get my paws on a pair.

This last pic is only for RAD fanatics:

-

I know this guy who knows this guy that actually reconstructed a model of Helltrack complete with RAD BMX Biker figurines. And yes Hollywood Mike Miranda is off the track again!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love how you put the music along with your writeup! [Smile]

I want a pair of those Vans so bad....i've only owned a couple pair in my life and wore them to shreds.....if it's 25 years maybe there will be a DVD release?

haha on pointing out the Jacoby member for me...in just that week i'd watched Rad for the first time the Jacoby's were haunting me in every movie I watched it seemed. [Smile] I still gotta make that Jacoby family tribute thread [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another thread for "Rad" in addition.

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=008765

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great input from Muffy and Lovers.. but come on.. where is the rest of the RAD team on this thread?

Wouldn't it have been awesome to be on the set for this flick back in the 80's?  That school dance would have been the ultimate!

I'm mean where's Devo who proclaimed this movie as awesome years ago?  Even though he doesn't believe a girl like Christian truly exists.      

And what about OneyedWilly who rented it so often that Muffy didn't get a chance to see RAD until about a month ago?

Hey 80'sRocked.. you even invested in an HD version of RAD.. that laserdisc pic above has to be enticing.

Riptide .. totally missed RAD in the 80's and now he appears to be missing all together.. I figured that dance scene  to the Sparks tune might bring you back out of Rewind seclusion?

Pryo must just be out kicking tassh like the movie.

aTomiK probably watched it several times in the 80's, but can't figure out why I keep calling this movie RAD instead of BMX Bandit Hellriders or something to that degree..

Would it help if I told you that I have almost all of the tunes from the movie now? 

For years, I avoided acquiring tunes from my fav 80's movies to keep from overplaying them, but after Ronnie and Cindy sent me a few hard to obtain gems over the last year.. I have a new approach and understanding as to why they collect these forbidden tunes.

[ 13. October 2010, 13:08: Message edited by: Valley ]

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I mean, come on now. RAD? Did anyone see Daniel Tosh recreate the scene with Cru Jones in it on Tosh.0? He mentions Helltrack all the time in his show. This is great stuff. Forget about the Rad Racing Shirt (which is great). I want the Bart Taylor shirt that the kid is wearing. That is something to get a hold of. I have a few of the songs from the movie. It's truly a movie that needs to appreciated.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

There are rumors floating around the internet that Redbull is thinking about reconstructing Helltrack for the film's 25th Anniversary. If that happens I might just make that roadtrip!

If this rumor is true and they do end up rebuilding it..I will not only make the roadtrip..But I will rebuild a BMX from scrap to bring down there and race on it.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

I want the Bart Taylor shirt that the kid is wearing. That is something to get a hold of.

-

Devo.. how about this wicked shirt?

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

SIGN ME UP VALLEY!!!

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Valley:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">If this rumor is true and they do end up rebuilding it..I will not only make the roadtrip..But I will rebuild a BMX from scrap to bring down there and race on it.

If they build that I will break out my 1984 GT Pro Performer.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My second contribution to this thread.

Bill Allen has an official website. I decided to post the link to it here.

http://billallenrad.net/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Just received word that Cindy Mancini was joined the RAD Racing Team!

Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rewinders may like to be informed that Bart Conner along with his wife Nadia Comaneci moreover have an official website.

This is the link to it.

http://bartandnadia.com/

Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
I stumbled across yet another thread for "Rad."

I elected to put up its link.

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007107

The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else see the Rad spoof on American Dad a few weeks back?
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
Did anyone else see the Rad spoof on American Dad a few weeks back?

Wiz Can you find a link anywhere? I'd love to see it!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey Muffy..

Here's the link.. 3:55 in .. they even play "Thunder In Your Heart"

American Dad - Rad Tribute

There is another reference later in the episode at 16:18 as well.

Great find Wizard!

Crujones1986
Rewind Curious
Member # 9289

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Crujones1986   Email Crujones1986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody - first post here! I'm the guy who made the Cru figure & ill-fated Helltrack diorama mentioned above. If you are a fan of the movie Rad, all I can say is there is some major excitement coming next year. I've been working with Jeremy Moser, Kurt Alksne & others to make the 25th event happen in Cochrane, and now the dates have been nailed down. The Official Site is now up.

I've also started production on a documentary about the film that I plan to show there. Check out these photos for a little teaser... In order to raise money for the project, I've started a store with several T-shirt designs based on the movie (with more designs coming soon!). Check it out and help support the film!

Last but not least, don't forget to visit Jeremy's page for the latest news. Oh yeah, and he made that Bart Taylor shirt you're interested in...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Welcome to the Rewind ..Crujones1986 .. now this thread is getting serious!

I'm thinking my family members might be getting Rad Racing T-shirts for Christmas..

Crujones1986
Rewind Curious
Member # 9289

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Crujones1986   Email Crujones1986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article from the Calgary Herald yesterday:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/movie-guide/cult+shot+Cochrane+turns/4142429/story.html

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
What will you be doing on August 19th?

Thanks for the article link Cru!

This is probably a once in a lifetime chance to recapture some of RAD's mojo.. I'm seriously considering attending.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
okay.. who has still not watched "RAD" yet?

It is a little piece of 80's magic that you have to experience.

Crujones1986
Rewind Curious
Member # 9289

Rate Member
I can tell you that if you are a fan of the film, you will NOT want to miss this event. And if you haven't seen it, I would suggest holding out until August and catching it on the big screen in 35mm! Don't just watch some low quality VHS rip on Youtube!
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna try like hell to be there. Sounds like a blast.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crujones1986
Rewind Curious
Member # 9289

Rate Member
Thought I'd revive this topic with a link to the site & trailer I created for the documentary I am doing on the film. The goal is to have it done in time to show at the event. Check it out!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home