iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Falcon and the Snowman (1985)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Falcon and the Snowman (1985)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just watched this interesting drama/thriller directed by John Schlesinger.

It´s a true story of a disillusioned military contractor employee and his drug pusher childhood friend
who became walk-in spies for the Soviet Union.

Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn did a good job,
especially Penn was awesome as a slimy SOB no one could trust.

Co-starring Pat Hingle, Lori Singer, Chris Makepeace, Dorian Harewood and David Suchet.

Interesting fact:

In 1986, this movie became associated with one of the most famous hacking incidents in television history.
On the night of April 27, 1986 at about 12:30am, a Florida satellite TV dealer named John MacDougall
was working late at Central Florida Teleport which up-links pay cable services to satellites.
At the time, he was up-linking "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" but before he left,
he pointed the dish directly upwards toward the location of HBO's Galaxy 1 satellite and for four and a half minutes,
East Coast subscribers who has been watching The Falcon and the Snowman saw a message on a colored test pattern which read:
GOODEVENINGHBO FROM CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT $12.95/MONTH? NO WAY! [SHOWTIME/MOVIECHANNEL BEWARE!].
MacDougall had performed the stunt as a protest of satellite subscribers being forced to pay higher fees than regular cable subscribers.
He turned himself in, was charged a $5,000 fine and placed on one year probation.

Here´s the theme tune with clips from the movie:

David Bowie/Pat Metheny - This Is Not America

Anyone seen this film?

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK.. "The Falcon and the Snowman" is an awesome flick! Watching this movie and "Bad Boys" back in the 80's made me realize that Sean Penn was so much more than Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Penn is great!
I think i´m going to watch also Taps this weekend, featuring Hutton & Penn again.
Never seen it before.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik.. "Taps" is another example of the diversity of Sean Penn's acting skills. The movie centers around Hutton, but Sean Penn gives a fine performance and Tom Cruise plays scene stealing psycho. You will most likely enjoy..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. I also read the book. The movie script seemed to follow the book almost to a T.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
aTomik.. "Taps" is another example of the diversity of Sean Penn's acting skills. The movie centers around Hutton, but Sean Penn gives a fine performance and Tom Cruise plays scene stealing psycho. You will most likely enjoy..

'Taps' was meant to showcase Hutton, but Penn and Cruise totally stole the show. Not really a surprise they became stars.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently watched The Falcon And The Snowman for the first time in over 25 years.

I kept wondering though what happened to the real Christopher Boyce and Daulton Lee after their imprisonment..

Apparently their story (especially Boyce's) was far from over where the movie ended :

According to Wikipedia, Boyce escaped from prison in january 1980 and committed 17 (!) bank robberies
before he was arrested once again in august 1981. Eventually he married the lawyer who succesfully
managed to obtain parole for Daulton Lee, who was released from prison in 1998. Boyce himself was released
from prison in 2002. Reportedly, at some point Lee was hired by Sean Penn to be Penn's personal assistant !

There's enough stuff to be found here for a whole new movie, i'd say !

Coming soon to theater near you : The Falcon And The Snowman part 2 ; Falcon Goes Nutzoid ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and to get back to the actual movie..

While watching it, i kept thinking to myself '..Where have i seen this guy before..' every time
the character Alex (the Russian embassy worker Daulton makes contact to) was onscreen.

I have to admit, the actor's name, David Suchet, didn't immediately ring a bell either.. but now i know :

It's Hercule Poirot (without the trademark mustache) ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Unbelievable stuff, we definitely need a sequel [Smile]

And yeah, Suchet it is!

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
In a decade of cool drawn cover art, Italy might have been the only country to release The Falcon and the Snowman vhs tape with a drawing.

While far from a masterwork it has a special charm [Wink]

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home