iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Bill Murray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Murray
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im like the biggest Bill Murray Fan he totally cracks me up so imstarting the Bill Murray appreciation on here ,Whats your fave murray film?
I Love Stripes!!!!!

Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very tough call; I'd say for me, though, Ghostbusters has a slight edge over Scrooged.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're the biggest Bill Murray fan, then I'm the second biggest fan. Dr. Peter Venkman is probably my favorite of his characters, but his roles in What About Bob, Kingpin, Rushmore, Caddyshack, I could go on and on, are amazing as well. He is one of those rare comedians that can make you laugh by just giving you a look.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my top 10 Murray characters/roles:

1. Ghostbusters (Peter Venkman)
2. What about Bob? (Bob Wiley)
3. Stripes (John Winger)
4 Caddyshack (Carl Spackler)
5. Groundhog Day (Phil Connors)
6. Little Shop of horrors (Arthur Denton)
7. Meatballs (Tripper Harrison)
8. Scrooged (Frank Cross)
9. Kingpin (Ernie McCracken)
10. Get Smart (Agent 13)

[ 09. January 2012, 09:11: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we win! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above comes down and points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child held hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or we lose.....

... IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

[ 12. September 2010, 06:15: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:

We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Puft's okay! He's a sailor, he's in New York; we get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!

amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Winger: Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.
[points to the soldier next to him]
John Winger: Lee Harvey, you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy. If the two of us together, forget it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sergeant Hulka is always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Sergeant Hulka.

Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stripes and Groundhog Day!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with everything said here: I love Bill Murray, and he has had such a brilliant career--TV, comedy, drama, playing himself in "Zombieland," an Oscar nomination, for gosh sakes, but how many have seen him as death row convict Lefty Swartz in "Loose Shoes" (1980)? That was a really erratic sketch comedy, which was actually filmed a long time before its release in 1980 and predates even "Meatballs." Murray's sketch is one of the funnier ones in this movie, which is fairly and almost consistently unfunny until the last sketch--which is without Murray--a trailer parody that is so politically incorrect and profane that it is absolutely uproarious. I paid one dollar for the DVD at a head shop (and got a comment from the clerk that I was the first person every to buy a DVD from the dollar rack). I'm surely glad that I did!

[ 13. September 2010, 11:23: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta be Groundhog day, Caddyshack, Kingpin for me!
Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meatballs will always be my favorite.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Crash.. I've seen "Loose Shoes".. way better than I expected. But for a whole $1, tell me you got it as drive-in double feature with Tom Hanks in "Mazes and Monsters":

-

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Groundhog Day
2. What About Bob?
3. Scrooged

Anyone seen The Razor´s Edge (1984)?
I have the dvd but haven´t watched the movie yet.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Valley:
Crash.. I've seen "Loose Shoes".. way better than I expected. But for a whole $1, tell me you got it as drive-in double feature with Tom Hanks in "Mazes and Monsters":

Sadly, I did not get "Loose Shoes" as a double feature. (That's hardly a drive-in double feature anyway--"Mazes and Monsters" was a made-for-TV movie! [Wink] ) When "Loose Shoes" works, it's hysterical. When it doesn't, oh well, you just wait for the next sketch. So those sketch films have that goin' for them...

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Speaking of Bill Murray--and perhaps this should be in another thread--has anyone seen the "lost" Tom Shiller (from "Saturday Night Live") written-directed "Nothing Lasts Forever" (1984) in which Murray has a small part? I was trying to think of the name of this thing the past couple of days ever since I saw the unreleased-on-DVD thread here, and it finally came to me. I have wanted to see it for years, but it was never, to my knowledge, ever released in any format, VHS or DVD, anywhere, and the rights are apparently tied up in some legal dispute. You'd think that we were talking here about a movie made in 1904, not 1984, folks!
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
aTomiK.. you should definitely watch "The Razor's Edge"...

The famous book was twice adapted into film, first in 1946 starring Tyrone Power and then a 1984 adaptation starring Bill Murray with Tibet replacing India as the place of enlightenment.

Rumor has it that Dan Aykroyd suggested that Murray could star in "Ghostbusters" for Columbia Pictures in exchange for the studio greenlighting "The Razor's Edge". Murray agreed and a deal was made with Columbia. For the next year and half, cast and crew shot on location in France, Switzerland and India with a $12 million budget. After the last day of principal photography, Murray left to make "Ghostbusters".

I clearly remember that "The Razor's Edge" was a box office failure mainly because Bill Murray was not accepted as a serious actor at that point in his career. I watched it on HBO and thought it was a very good movie. It was rather strange at times, but overall worth your time.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Valley, sounds interesting.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home