iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What in your opinion is the Zeitgeist of 80's Films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What in your opinion is the Zeitgeist of 80's Films?
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jack Gannon   Email Jack Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an aspiring director who really wants to make movies with more of a 70's and 80's look, feel, and sound. More so than those of today, and more succesfully than those made today which try and look like those of the past.

So if you can tell me what it is about these movies that envoke these feelings in you of nostalgia or whatever it may be, than It can better help me to capture these for my own movies.

I'll even go ahead and start off with one, that being Film look. Today's movies don't move right, i can look at a film from any time period and guess within a year of when it's been made by the look of it, including being able to tell the difference between early eighties and late eighties. This is one that makes me notice a difference between movies made today set in the past.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose the film stock you choose are really important, and I'm guessing Kodak and Fuji no longer produce the relative film stocks they produced in the '80s. Ones that are grainy, move faster etc.

As far as I know Alexander Payne used a certain film stock in Sideways to recreate a late '70s warm feel for some of the outdoor wine / dusk picnic scenes, I'm sure there's better examples out there but to replicate the '80s look I think the level of colour and film grain that '80s film stocks produced is essential in recreating that look and feel (that we all love)! Researching film stocks would be a start, maybe they still produce them but no doubt it's pricey over digital etc.

Again with sound, all the variables that come into play from the use of machinery they used in the '80s affect the sound and overall feel of an '80s movie. You can still source these sound machines, and editing machines [steenback]

Besides that, the clothes, the makeup, wardbrobe... in terms of invoking nostalgia, it's the neons, pastels, the colours, hairstyles, plots and stories, the actors... and the beat goes on!

What do you think of the movies people listed in the thread about post-80s movies that best capture the '80s?

Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack have you seen The House of the Devil? I made a thread about it in the 00's threads. You should definitely check it out....they did a good job of recreating that feeling of an early 80's late 70's movie beginning to end.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home