iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010 (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm curious about scarecrows. it's on netflix instant watch. any good?
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here´s my short review from last december:

"Scarecrows (1988)

- This was a pretty nice horror flick.
Some nasty death scenes, wicked scarecrows
and stupid people who deserve to get wasted"

Check it out Ronnie but don´t expect too much.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the feedback aTomik. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought Scarecrows last week Ronnie....I'll try to check it out soon as well....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night of the Living Dead 2! I tried watching it on Netlfix instant watch...for me it was just ok.....it has awesome actors in it and you think it's gonna be great going in......totally great zombies.....but alas I got bored in the middle.... [Frown]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Scarecrows but like Atomik says don't expect too much.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Halloween starting to close in.. it is time to get serious about watching horror flicks..

-

"The Thing" (1982) is horror master John Carpenter’s remake of the 1951 classic "The Thing from Another World". I remember watching the original with my dad as a little kid and it scaried me bad. So I just had to see this remake when I found out about it. It definitely scaried me again, but what a great movie.

Carpenter chose early on that he did not want to merely repeat the shocks from the orginal film. So he decided to go back to the original short story by John W. Campbell Jr. entitled “Who Goes There?” Consequently, "The Thing" follows this source material much more closely than the 1951 film.

No longer a tale of a monster attacking from the outside, it is now a story of a threat coming from within. Instead of “Keep watching the skies” (the last line from The Thing from Another World)... the tagline for this remake should be “Keep watching the guy next to you.”

-

I've been a huge fan of Kurt Russell and enjoy most of his films from the 80's. With some of my Russell favs being "Escape From New York", "The Mean Season", and "the Best of Times" along with this flick.

"The Thing" (1982) is definitely one of the most intense and horrific films from the 80's. Outstanding special effects, superb casting, and brilliant direction all combine to create an awesome tale of paranoia and terror!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
With Halloween starting to close in.. it is time to get serious about watching horror flicks..

-

"The Thing" (1982) is horror master John Carpenter’s remake of the 1951 classic "The Thing from Another World". I remember watching the original with my dad as a little kid and it scaried me bad. So I just had to see this remake when I found out about it. It definitely scaried me again, but what a great movie.

Carpenter chose early on that he did not want to merely repeat the shocks from the orginal film. So he decided to go back to the original short story by John W. Campbell Jr. entitled “Who Goes There?” Consequently, "The Thing" follows this source material much more closely than the 1951 film.

No longer a tale of a monster attacking from the outside, it is now a story of a threat coming from within. Instead of “Keep watching the skies” (the last line from The Thing from Another World)... the tagline for this remake should be “Keep watching the guy next to you.”

-

I've been a huge fan of Kurt Russell and enjoy most of his films from the 80's. With some of my Russell favs being "Escape From New York", "The Mean Season", and "the Best of Times" along with this flick.

"The Thing" (1982) is definitely one of the most intense and horrific films from the 80's. Outstanding special effects, superb casting, and brilliant direction all combine to create an awesome tale of paranoia and terror!

I love that movie.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay only one fan of "The Thing"?

How about The Dead Zone (1983)

-

Christopher Walken stars as high school teacher Johnny Smith who crashes his VW bug into a overturned tanker tuck and spends five years in a coma.. only to discover he now has the gift of second sight. What an incredible gift.. right? But then he learns that the love of his life did not wait for him and has married someone else. Enter bitter and disgruntled Johnny.

-

Johnny basically has the gift of seeing your future through only a touch of the hand.. and this gift seem great until eventually he becomes entangled with a politician Greg Stillson (Martin Sheen). Johnny unfortunately foresees that if Stillson wins, this guy will lead the us into World War III. He must be stopped.

-

The book was by Stephen King .. the director of the movie was David Cronenberg who had has his own gift of creating unsettling and quite creepy flicks..

[ 22. October 2010, 12:31: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay only one fan of "The Thing"?
You kidding? I think your post was a kind of 'Nuff said' post. The Thing is great. The Thing and Alien are two of the most claustrophobic horror movies ever made.

Dead Zone is very good, too. Walken and Sheen really... shine.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, The Thing and The Dead Zone are both classics in my books.
And i mean true classics!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto, both are masterpieces, among the best of the 1980's. You've just reminded me that I've only done my Christopher Walken imitation--"The ice...is gonna BREAK!"--once today. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thing is the greatest remake ever! Carpenter grew up with the original movie that was flawed to began with and remade it for a new generation. It's just an awesome movie i adored since i was 15 years old.
Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Dead Zone!

Anyhoo, I watched Silent Scream yesterday. It was very good! I also watched Madman--also good.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
i'm curious about scarecrows. it's on netflix instant watch. any good?

I have it my que. The reviews on Netflix weren't great, so I keep pushing stuff above it.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*I've not seen Dead Zone, so...kinda looks like I should.

* I watched a very scary movie last evening...Witches Night Out...OK...it wasn't scary at all....it was a kid's cartoon from the 70's that I vaugly remembered watching....very nostalgic for me....

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Linda (Tawny Kitaen) who for some reason always reminds of girl rolling around on a hood of a car... becomes obsessed with the ouija board. Her obession began during an apparently harmless game party where the spirit of a young boy named David is contacted. After the party, Linda keeps on using the Ouija to talk to David, despite warnings from a friend that the young boy is actually an evil spirit in disguise. Soon it becomes obvious that a malevolent force has taken hold of Linda and soon people start to die.... 

'Witchboard' is both written and directed by Kevin Tenney who was also responsible for the horror flick 'Night of the Demons' (1987).  I remember the first time I watched "Witchboard" that I spent most of it amazed that Stephen Nichols had two eyes..  since then I've continued to watch it every Halloween season.

-

and if you are an Ami Dolenz fan like me.. you have to watch "Witchboard 2" as a double feature!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Still haven´t seen Witchboard.

I watched Amityville 3-D (1983)
What a disappointing flick!
Even the early roles from Lori Loughlin and Meg Ryan couldn´t save this one.
Couple of good scenes and that was it.

-

pettyfan
Member # 2260

Witchboard is a good movie. I haven't seen parts 2 or 3. Netflix has part 3 available as instant watch. I watched part of Mother's Day last night. It hasn't been too bad so far, so I guess I'll finish it.
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread has inspired me, though a little late. i've watched fright night and killer klowns from outer space so far. next up is night of the creeps on friday, wrapping up with night of the demons saturday night.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home