iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Seven Minutes In Heaven - The Zoo Knudsen Makeout Edition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seven Minutes In Heaven - The Zoo Knudsen Makeout Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

When I was a teenager "Seven Minutes in Heaven" was a game played at parties like Spin the Bottle where a boy and a girl, chosen randomly, would go into a closet and makeout for seven minutes.  My interest now in the game is the fact that it was invented in Cincinnati, Ohio where I currently reside.  The best example of the game "Seven Minutes In Heaven" in an 80's movie was when Scott and Boof were put in the closet at the party in "Teen Wolf". 

Surprisingly, the movie "Seven Minutes In Heaven" had little to do with the game, but it is instead a rather sweet coming of age story for three 15 year old best friends. 

Jennifer Connelly, in just her second starring role, plays Natalie Becker.. a mature teenager that is actually quite responsible throughout the movie.  She definitely has plans for her future and is already politically active and civic minded. 

Natalie's two best friends are Jeff and Polly. Jeff has issues with his step-father and when the movie opens, he runs away from home to stays with Natalie whose single-father is away for a week. Although this causes their whole high-school to talk about them, Jeff and Natalie are just friends. Polly, while boy crazy for everybody else, just sees Jeff as a friend, and is instead always lusting after older boys with typically unsuccessful results. Natalie ends up falling for a popular boy from whom she learns that book smarts don't always help with affairs of the heart. Polly meets and makes out with the infamous Zoo Knudsen a baseball player in his twenties. Jeff eventually confronts his family situation and the fact he has feelings for Polly.

By the end of the movie all three of the main characters have learned something.. I won't give away the ending, but it reminded me of being a teenager.

Everyone that has seen "SKOW" will recognize Maddie Corman who played Polly, but Bryon Thomas who played Jeff might be more of a mystery.  And someone mentioned that they thought Alan Boyce should have had more roles in his career might enjoy seeing this movie.  But the best little gems in smaller roles are "The Lost Boys" Billy Wirth and a very young looking Lauren Holly.

One of my fav scenes is where Jeff and Polly are in the car in front of Natalie's house and he keeps drive it forward and then reverse in the same little spot.

Oh and I thought it was interesting that even though the movie had little to do with the game "Seven Minutes In Heaven", Natalie was introduced to the vice president as being from Ohio.  

Here's the deal.. if you watched this movie as a teenager or are still a teenager at heart.. you will probably enjoy it.  But as an adult watching it for the first time, I just don't know..

Finally, on an unrelated note.. has anyone heard about the new movie that J.J. Abrams is developing titled "Seven Minutes In Heaven"? The premise is that these teenagers play the game and put a guy and girl in the closet to makeout.  Wait for it.. when the seven minutes are up, they leave the closet and find all of their friends are dead!  Actually sounds creepy cool.

[ 31. August 2010, 20:08: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOLD! Never seen it, but I Wanna see it now... [Smile]

PS: Can you expand a little on what you've found out about the original "seven minutes in heaven" game and I'll put it as the featured trivia on the page for the movie..? [Smile]

[ 01. September 2010, 04:29: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this because....

-The opening credits look like they were made for an 80's TV sitcom.

-Polly and Natalie aren't interested in Jeff romantically, yet all of the guys they like look just like him.

-Cool retro MTV commercial shown

-Polly's hilarious conversation with Bill the photographer. "Torture???"

-Zoo Knudson. What's not to love about a character named Zoo Knudson???

-Natalie and the school counselor analyzing pictures. This type of scene seems to be in movies a lot.

-Polly...Such an un-likable character but you end up loving her anyway. I have a friend who was a lot like her in H.S., and her name is Holly, hehe.

I love this movie! Would love to see it get a decent DVD/blu-ray release, but I won't hold my breath.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick.. 

Seven Minutes In Heaven is a party game created by teenagers from Cincinnati, Ohio back in the 50's.  The way it is played: Names of guests are written on pieces of paper.. the names are separated into two bowls.. one for guys and one for girls.. the party host draws a name from each bowl.. the two guests are then put in a closet together for seven minutes with the hope that they will use that time to makeout.. when the seven minutes end, the host says "Time's up" and opens the closet..  then the two guests from the closet have to truthfully answer questions about what happened in their Seven Minutes In Heaven.  The game is repeated until everyone gets a chance to play.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that struck me as odd about this movie was that I liked the Maddie Corman charactor and her storyline MUCH more than the Jennifer Connely charactor and storyline, and Maddie was SUPPOSED to be "the second banana'. If this had been a two hour movie about her that woulda kicked ***!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you mamamia. Whenever I think about this movie, I always remember Polly and her craziness. It's a shame Maddie Corman wasn't in more movies.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much agree with everyone here. However, I watched it recently and it is starting to lose a little (just a smidge) of it's charm. I must be getting old and cranky.

quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
One of my fav scenes is where Jeff and Polly are in the car in front of Natalie's house and he keeps drive it forward and then reverse in the same little spot.

Totally. [Big Grin]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many of you have seen this one.
I don´t think that this was even released here.
Gotta keep on searching...

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
secret admirer put it best, it's one of those that lost it's charm overtime. i don't have the same feeling about it. i agree about polly, she was whiny and awkward.
i always liked the song at the end...when "Dear You" is being played.

aTomik, i just checked youtube and it looks like you can watch it there.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I consider this an issue with not only this movie but several movies that fall in the what I like to call the 80's tween stage. For me these are movies with main characters in that 12 to 15 year old range. Most are all movies that I originally watched when I was closer to that age myself, but over time have lost the charm they once held in my mind. Some other examples would be "Monster Squad", "The Gate", and "Explorers" (well at least the first half of the movie)..

But with that said.. it is almost bizarre how a couple of years can make such a difference in perception.. I can still watch movies like "Valley Girl", "Sixteen Candles", "Can't Buy Me Love" etc .. where the main characters are between 16 to 18 and I still identify with these movies like it was yesterday for me.

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Nick... it's the closet scene in Teen Wolf.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-Zoo Knudson. What's not to love about a character named Zoo Knudson???
^ This ^

quote:
The thing that struck me as odd about this movie was that I liked the Maddie Corman charactor and her storyline MUCH more than the Jennifer Connely charactor and storyline, and Maddie was SUPPOSED to be "the second banana'. If this had been a two hour movie about her that woulda kicked ***!
^ This ^

Wait... she was supposed to be a banana? I missed that bit.

quote:
Pretty much agree with everyone here. However, I watched it recently and it is starting to lose a little (just a smidge) of it's charm. I must be getting old and cranky.
It was always weak. It was carried by Maddie. Even Jennifer seems to be lackluster in this (not in terms of looks, obviously).

quote:
and "Explorers" (well at least the first half of the movie)..
No! NOOOOOOOOO!!! You mean the second half!!!!!!!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Seven Minutes in Heaven and it was a good, sweet movie.
Loved the cast!

Billy Wirth was cool as Zoo Knudsen and i´m going to make next week a Billy Wirth week.
War Party and Parker Kane first and of course The Lost Boys next weekend.

One scene was weird though:
When Natalie was in Washington and Jeff goes back to her house,
sure he must´ve had recognized her father´s car in front.
Or at least that her father is already sleeping in the bed when he goes in the same bed?!
That scene was a bit odd.

Anyway, i´m glad that i finally found this movie.
All Jen Connelly fans should own this one.

Here´s the finnish VHS cover art:

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the middle of watching this again........i'd owned it on vhs and remembered not loving it........it's on ondemand right now so i'm giving it another chance.....must have been in one of those moods. Cause it's cute and watchable I really love Maddie Corman in it.......I wonder if Nick ever got to see it??

on another note.....those of you that have Comcast ondemand they added a section called "perferred movies" in the free movies and there are tons of 80s flicks and classic movies....where I found this one.......really cool!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the end of it.....it was an okay movie......i'd probaly never watch it again.....i've been cleaning and doing laundry and it couldn't keep my attention.

but honestly not bad.......it was cool how it very 80s and about teens.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never seen this...but giving it a go now since it was brought to attention it's on demand.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Finally, on an unrelated note.. has anyone heard about the new movie that J.J. Abrams is developing titled "Seven Minutes In Heaven"? The premise is that these teenagers play the game and put a guy and girl in the closet to makeout.  Wait for it.. when the seven minutes are up, they leave the closet and find all of their friends are dead!  Actually sounds creepy cool.

valley, is this a scene from the new movie, Super 8? or am i wrong? haha
i am excited to see that one, ya know.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. "Super 8" looks fantastic.. kind of like The Goonies but way more serious.
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I watched this last weekend on OnDemand. Hadn't seen it in a loooong time...Was pretty much how I remembered it, but noticed this time that it has a really melancholy feel to it? The stuff with Jeff and his parents was pretty sad and wow, Maddie Corman was really not a good friend to Natalie at all (I think she even called her a sow at one point)...It's no Last American Virgin or anything, but it's definitely not the most feel good teen movie of the 80's....
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok...this movie didn't impress me too much. It had it's moments, but overall nothing really memorable that would make me want to watch again.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just finished watching seven minutes in heaven for the first time and overall I thought it was a pretty enjoyable little teen movie especially considering how obscure this title was when originally released here in the u.k,it was released to home video by warner's and in my lifetime of going in out of numerous video shops and to boot fairs and what not I don't think I've ever come across a copy.

I had to watch it on YouTube but I know it's available on DVD from the warner archive collection http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Minutes-Heaven-Region-Import/dp/B003JNIB74 on one of those made to order dvd-r's,I have the legend of Billie jean on one and even though many of these titles haven't been remastered by there studio they are still normally of excellent quality and in there correct wide screen ratio.

Seven minutes in heaven though nothing amazing was still an enjoyable enough watch and the fact it stars the beautiful Jennifer connelly must at least earn it a 7/10.

[ 29. March 2013, 07:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for your thoughts warrior, great pic!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home