iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Permanent Record

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Permanent Record
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Most people that watch "Permanent Record" will say that this movie is a depressing look at teen suicide, but in my opinion it is really about dealing with the fallout after an unexplained tragic event.

I remember first watching this movie and thinking there just had to be a better answer to why David committed suicide.  He was showing signs of stress, but nobody saw the suicide coming.  He seemed to be a kid that had everything going for him.. so for him to  take his life actually scared his peers who felt even more venerable after his death.     

This movie is loaded with some fav 80's actors/actresses.. Keanu Reeves, Michelle Meyrink, Pamela Gidley, and Jennifer Rubin.  Reeves is discredited quite often for his acting skills, but he holds his own in this movie. 

Anyone that watches "Permanent Record" will probably be impressed by the performance of Michelle Meyrink as MJ and also wonder why Jennifer Rubin didn't go on to a much bigger mainstream career.

That final performance by Jennifer Rubin at the school play makes the somber journey through this film all worth it! 

Thoughts?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Permanent Record and it was a good teen drama.
Great characters, both teens AND adults.

Especially Richard Bradford was fantastic as principal Leo.
What a cool guy!

After the first few scenes i thought that is this Bill and Ted version 0.1 or something.
But after that, Keanu Reeves was actually very good.
And that doesn´t mean Bill and Ted flicks are bad but... well you know.

All the female leads are also pretty amazing.
I´m kind of a sentimental guy and actually shed some tears
during that final performance by Jennifer Rubin.

Thanks Valley, this topic made me watch this movie [Cool]
Now i need to check out more early Keanu Reeves flicks.
I own Brotherhood of Justice and River´s Edge
but i´ve never watched them.

Recommended!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik.. both movies you mentioned are very good movies for different reasons. "River's Edge" will freak you out a bit .. but it is good in a really bizarre way. Crispin Glover is wicked weird in it.

Oh and Ronnie .. Donovan Leitch's sister is in it too. [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this one on tv before then a few weeks ago it was on in the morning and I watched it again.

It's good............a little slow.....Keanu Reeves is awesome. I always wondered why Rubin didn't go on to much but also why didn't Alan Boyce??? He was a good looking guy?

Atomik I get the Bill and Ted thing Reeves looks just like he did in those flicks!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy.. good looks only take you so far.. just ask me.

Anyway, aTomiK made a great point about Richard Bradford. As much as I hated his character in "The Legend of Billie Jean" which means he did an outstanding job, I thought he was even more brilliant as Principal Leo Verdell in "Permanent Record".

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never heard of this one. all the actors that were mentioned definitely makes me want to give it a try. i would like to see michelle meyrink and jennifer rubin. is this on dvd?
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I remember best about this one (aside from Keanu!) was that people would go see it when I was a teenager and call me up and tell me they left the theater crying. I rented it a few years later and was shocked to see I didnt actually cry.

Maybe I need to re-visit it.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I didn't cry, but when Jennifer Rubin sings that tune.. I did tear up a bit the first time I watched it. Part of it was the song and part of it was the reaction of the crowd .. especially Richard Bradford.
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trailer for Permanent Record intrigues me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6bPQuPg8Q

I think i need to see this !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Permanent Record was always playing on HBO in the late 80s after its meager theatrical run. It's OK, if overly earnest, like a better made Lifetime Network movie. (As I recall, Keanu is pretty stiff.) It's easy to see why it sank without a trace and is forgotten today. Serious, heavy-themed teenage movies didn't do well at all in the face of the happy, lighter fare of that decade, and this one is a real downer. So for every 16 Candles that hit it big, you had a Permanent Record, The Outsiders, or The River's Edge. I'm not saying that all of these are bad movies--The River's Edge, for example, is excellent--but they just didn't resonate with the time. (This sounds like a good topic for a film school paper.)

I haven't seen Permanent Record since one of those many HBO showings back in the day. I'd be curious as to how it holds up almost 30 years later.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You hit the nail on the head there. The grit appeal of those movies didn't work in the slick 80's. The 90's would have been a far better time for them. In the post Heathers world things like 'Pump Up the Volume' and 'Singles' were much more embraceable.

Although, thinking about how many really 'teen' movies there were in the 70's / early 80's that exploited sex and hijinks ('The Van' / 'Screwballs' - and a million others) they made things like 'Pretty in Pink' seem like high drama in comparison.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You raise an excellent point, Logan, elaborating on my premise: There were so many just out-and-out silly sex and hijinks films that they really did make something like Pretty in Pink, with its angsty heroine, seem like high drama. LOL And then, of course, we get to the one that's completely off the chart in any decade, The Last American Virgin. That one spirals past high drama to almost nihilistic hopelessness. There are many films with unforgettable, out-of-nowhere endings--Dirty Mary Crazy Larry and the original The Vanishing, for example, come to mind--but so few that are such totally routine "fun" programmers until the ending that blindsides you, like that one. The Last American Virgin wouldn't have been a hit in the 90s or any decade for that matter. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have not watched this one in a very long time. In fact, having trouble remembering the bits n' pieces of it I did see. I think Logan and Crash's conversation both hits on a lot of good points and reasoning as to why this one is pretty much a hidden gem at best. I will have to give this a watch though sometime and give it my full attention to give a proper critique.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... that ending. The film went from farce to reality in seconds. Not a great date movie. Lest we forget, it's more or less a straight remake of Lemon Popsicle. I highly recommend the Arrow Blu-Ray / DVD combo - great set.

Speaking of date movies... the ending to The Vanishing haunted me for years...

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
And yet, when the director of the original The Vanishing came to America to do almost a scene-by-scene remake, in typical Hollywood fashion, the studio made him completely ruin the ending!

We should start a "bad date movie" thread. I can tell you from personal experience in the 80s: William Hurt and Body Heat--greatest date movie! William Hurt and Altered States--bad date movie!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I remember liking the US Vanishing - for the cast and direction, but that new ending really stuck out. It went from being a genuine horror movie to being something like a thriller.

Altered States would be the greatest date movie ever!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I don't disagree with you on the cast and direction. The US version of The Vanishing pretty much copies the original--with some expansion for Nancy Travis's part--until the last act, when it goes off the rails with its stupid Hollywood ending.

I learned the hard way with Altered States. My date was in the bathroom sick during much of the film. I guess creepy Ken Russell imagery was not her bag. [Smile]

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Permanent Record" back in the 200X's on DVD; never even heard of this back in '88 when it hit theaters.

First of all, the title is somewhat misleading; I initially thought the film was about a teenager going to prison - instead of being about an actual pop/rock record & teen suicide.

I agree the film was extremely dark, and way ahead of it's time. This was a solid drama, and along with films like "The River's Edge" and "Less than Zero" it showcased the darker side of '80's youth...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see this when it first came out in theaters. I thought it was good. Not spectacular but solid. Haven't seen it in many years. Maybe it's time to revisit it and see how it aged. LOL
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home