iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Labyrinth (1986)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Labyrinth (1986)
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I can't believe no one has ever created a specific thread about this AMAZING movie! It stars David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King, and a very young Jennifer Connelly as the heroine, Sarah.

-

This movie fits in well with other 80's fantasy movies like "Neverending Story" and "Legend," but it is in a league of it's own, I think. The plot revolves around Sarah trying to rescue her baby brother from Jareth, whose castle is in the middle of a complicated labyrinth that is filled with some crazy creatures that she becomes great friends and allies with.

-

Jim Henson's incredible talent for creating puppets is showcased here, and David Bowie's contributions to the soundtrack are timeless.

-
 -

I remember loving this movie as a kid, and then trying to find it later on when I was in high school and the only place you could find it was on eBay for hundreds of dollars and only on VHS. It was finally released on DVD and Blu Ray, thankfully (albeit without the awesome original cover art).

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica.. great thread! I really enjoyed this movie in the 80's, but haven't seen it since. I've actually had the Blu-ray on my Amazon wishlist for awhile now and I've been waiting for the price to drop a little.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't bought the Blu ray yet either. I might break down and buy it soon though, looks like it has a lot of cool features on it.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked and the blu-ray which had been as high as $22.49 is now only $15.. so I went ahead and bought it.

"Labyrinth" is best watched first as a kid or at the most a teenager. It is about imagination and fantasy .. but since I've never truly let go of my youth it should still be fun to watch.

I remember David Bowie videos dominating MTV back the 80's and it made me a fan. I doubt I knew who Jennifer Connelly was when I first watched this movie. I think the first time I noticed her was in the Devo trivia fav "Career Opportunities".

Or maybe "Seven Minutes In Heaven" since I've always been a fan of Zoo Knudsen. [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my fave 80's films. I wanted to be Sarah when I was a kid. I got a snow shaker just because it had owls in it lol and walked the streets in the rain repeating the whole 'Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered...' mantra.

Oh dear  -

I'm due a watch [Big Grin]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Valley...I'm going to order it too! $15 is a good deal for Blu ray. "Seven Minutes in Heaven" is a great movie! It's one of the few movies I still own on VHS. You know that movie was shot in Ohio, right?

Helen, LOL...I have also loved white owls ever since I saw this movie when I was a kid. One of my good friends told me she still has her Labyrinth lunch box from the 80's...Soooo jealous of her.

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it, love it, love it! I remember reading an article not long ago about how Jennifer can't watch herself in this movie-too self conscious. I wish I had that problem [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1A9s6WTiw

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is one of those movies that, as Valley said, once seen as a child will always stay with you. I remember trying to get the soundtrack in the late 80's / 90's and that was like getting blood from a stone! Remember when things were 'deleted'?! The horror!

The masque ball is definite highlight! Even as a lad my heart was a flutter (for Jen, not Bowie).

When I was in hospital my friend bought me the 12-inch of 'Underground' and the soundtrack to Dune as gifts. Good friends always understand.

There is something of a Henson civil war between fans of this and The Dark Crystal. I imagine Labyrinth would win on this forum.

[ 26. July 2010, 07:52: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously this is a chick flick if there ever was one.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
SA, I know quite a lot of guys that love this movie as well! Like Valley and Logan said, they saw it when they were kids so it's always stuck with them.

Logan, I've tried to like "Dark Crystal" but I can never get through it without falling asleep. I've heard that "Mirrormask" is worth watching too, but haven't seen it yet.

I wonder if more people like "Labyrinth" or "Neverending Story?"

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ello!" "Did you say hello?" "NA, I said ello......but that's close enough”
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
that worm is probably my favorite character in the whole movie Muffy! love the accent
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Logan, I've tried to like "Dark Crystal" but I can never get through it without falling asleep.
I feel the same way. It has some good qualities, but it just feels too much like a pedestrian by-the-numbers fantasy story for me.

quote:
I wonder if more people like "Labyrinth" or "Neverending Story?"
I'd say Labyrinth. But then again, the kind of people who like one will probably like the other.

quote:
Obviously this is a chick flick if there ever was one.
Nah, that would be something like 'The Notebook'. Good films can appeal to everyone. I'd say Labyrinth is a good 'family' movie. It has songs, effects and a lot of humour.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica I actually do that all the time...."ello!.....come in and meet the Mrs." haha

I've always loved Labyrinth always will.........never could watch all of the Dark Crystal as an adult it's slow slow slow slow slow.

Neverending Story.........well it's one of my favs too........I don't think I could say I love one more then the other.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just bought this on DVD a couple of days ago. I'm sure I've seen it as a kid, but for some reason, can't remember much about it...maybe I just saw parts of it. Anyway, I'll give it a go when I get a chance.

I also struggled getting through The Dark Crystal. For some reason...I WANT to like it more than I do. * On the other hand, I tried watching it really late at night when I was already tired...if I'm being honest...at the end of a backshift at work (4 AM)...I did have all my work done though!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have the Blu-ray now. I'll try to watch it this week.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A unique movie. Very imaginative, lots of old school creativity; like the Helping Hands for example, its good to know that they took the time to make that work as a real set piece. The Muppets were all creatures you could you kind of believe in and each one worked in the environment. Casting a camp David Bowie was a random, but ultimately inspired, move.

Don't remember a thing about Dark Crystal. Pan's Labrynth, The Fall, Mirrormask and Stardust are similar to Labrynth.

[ 27. July 2010, 11:59: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I just finished watching the Blu-ray for "Labyrinth". It was fun to see it again after all these years. I won't totally give away the ending for anyone that might not have seen it yet, but I connect with it. Meaning that even though I've grown up.. I still live that ending in my 80's imagination if that makes sense.

And Secret Admirer.. part of why I enjoy this movie is because sooooo many girls love it! I've even met a couple that claim "Labyrinth" as their all-time fav movie. So you might be right, but so wrong at the same time.

Jennifer Connelly is brilliant in this flick.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home