iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ghostbusters - Don't Cross the Streams!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghostbusters - Don't Cross the Streams!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Ghostbusters" takes me back to when I was a kid.. HBO did a special unannounced sneak preview on Christmas Eve back in the 80's. The movie had only been in the theaters until that night. I remember high fiving my little sister because we were so excited. And the movie did not disappoint!  I actually still watch a movie every Christmas Eve at my parents house because of that night years ago. 

-

I've watched "Ghostbusters" several times since then and it is always a blast from start to finish.  The cast is an incredible mixture of personalities that played off of each other for some of the most quotable lines from the 80's.

-

"Back off man... I'm a scientist!"

Peter Venkman as the skeptical scientist of the bunch allows Bill Murray to be at his scarcastic best while Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis are great as the geeked out ghostchasers that get excited by every little discovery.  Add in Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts with outstanding supporting performances for one crazy ride.  

Murray is hilarious throughout, but his scenes with Sigourney Weaver are where he unleashes some of his best lines.  Especially while she is possessed..

"I make it a rule never to get involved with possessed people... (Dana passionately attacks Venkman) ...Actually, it's more of a guideline than a rule!"

-

"Ghostbusters" is timeless, the concept fabulously original and the acting first rate. Even the special effects have somewhat stood the test of time, most notably with green ghosty Slimer and the now legendary Stay Puft marshmallow man.

-

"We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Puft's okay! He's a sailor, he's in New York; we get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!"

Did anyone else love the Saturday morning "Ghostbusters" cartoon?  I really enjoyed it and actually saw it as an extension of the movies.

I remember about a year ago Ronnie mentioning a Ghostbusters video game.  Has anyone played it?  My "Ghostbusters" Blu-ray has a game preview and making of it segment, but I wondered if it played as well as it looked?

Also, the latest news on "Ghostbusters 3-D" is it set to release Christmas 2012.  Of course, it sounds like another handoff to a new generation of actors and fans..

Everyone.. let's share our love for this classic movie!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool xmas eve story there Valley!

I had such a crush on Venkman.

Rick Moranis.........so funny hahah

The special effects have stood up well! Honestly I love Ghosbusters 2 alot also....may have to watch them both soon so I can think of some witty commentary [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Ghostbusters is a timeless classic!
I remember watching it first time in a movie theater and what´s really funny i still have the ticket [Smile]

And yeah, we played the Activision Commodore 64 game a lot back in the day [Cool]

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"aim for the flat top!!"

"don't cross the streams, it could be bad"
"i'm fuzzy on the whole, good/bad thing"

bill murray makes the movie, for me.
he had so many lines that i love.

and i don't know about you guys but i thought the soundtrack had some fun tunes...

alessi bros. - Savin The Day

the late laura branigan - Hot Night

and even the Bus Boys track was used well: Cleaning Up The Town

i have the ghostbusters video game for PS3.
as for the 3-D, it sounds like it would probably be fun to see, but the remakes & sequels are being thrown at us from every direction. i wish movie makers would take a break already.

i vaguely remember the cartoons, i know that there was ghostbusters and then the real ghostbusters.

i love rick moranis and wish he would do films again. "ookaay, who brought the dog.." [Big Grin]

great post, valley. ghostbusters is a favorite in my household. the kids love it!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm definitely talking about "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon. Researching it, I was amazed that it lasted 7 seasons and was on tv for 5 years. Also, Arsenio Hall voiced Winston starting out which I didn't know either. Amazon actually has it available in different volumes.. I might just have to check it out.

Oh and I totally went to Gamestop last night and picked up a used copy of the video game. I actually got the Wii version over the PS3 version because I've heard it has a better co-op split screen game. Either way it wasn't that expensive and should be fun to play.

And Ronnie mentioned the soundtrack and I can't go there without mentioning how much I love the use of "In the Name of Love" by The Thompson Twins:

In the Name of Love

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a lot of ways the animated series had as many memorable lines as the film itself. Among my own personal favorites:

"Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get ****y." (Egon, after his initial attempt to blind Samhaine with floodlights fails)

"Hey pal, this is America; I have the right to not work anytime I want (Venkman, in defiance of Casey Jones's ghost's order that he shovel "MORE COAL!!!" into the engine he highjacked)

"The seal, Peter, the seal impression! (Venkman barks like a seal) No, Peter, not an impression of a seal, the seal impression!"

"I wonder if good's allowed to steal bases?" (after being told that good isn't allowed to cheat when it meets evil on the baseball diamond) "Maybe good just borrows them, Ray."

"This means that if Darth Vader is willing to loan us the Death Star (to take down Murray the Mantis), we might have a chance...MIGHT."

Head writer J. Michael Stracynzski has said that Columbia at least initially didn't care what they did as long as the episodes came out on time, so they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted, and so many of the episodes from the syndicated run--and even few of the best later ones--are wonderfully thoughtful and deep even today, with some of them (particularly those featuring the Boogeyman) still somewhat scary as a mature viewer.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys and your new fandangled vidya game machines! I still have this game for my Sega Master System! [Big Grin]

Ghostbusters is one of my favorites, all-time. Seen it a thousand times. Bill Murray and Rick Moranis deliver some of my favorite moments.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this movie all the time growing up!

I actually watched it a few weeks ago, the first time in a while, and it was still awesome!

Bill Murray was great, but I love me some Harold Ramis! lol

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant write up Valley, love this movie used to watch it a couple of times a week and wanted to become a professional ghostbuster (still would were it true!). Even asked my librarian to order a copy of 'Tobin's Spirit Guide'..."What do you mean there's no such thing? Its only the most definitive textbook on the paranormal ever written!", I said.

Ghostbusters is one of those films that never gets old, it was great then and its just as much fun today.

"And the flowers are still standing!"

To this day, if someone makes a very serious or grim statement about something trivial I tend to pause, tap the table and follow up with..."So be good, for goodness sake woah-ho somebodys comin!'..."

-

The Real Ghostbusters was a good cartoon for its time. Some serious and well thought out episodes like Drool The Dogface Goblin, Ragnarok n' Roll, they don't write em' like that anymore.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iv really lost count how many times ive seen this movie.
I just love that line
'when someone asks if your a god you say YES!'
and the scene when that poor guy is getting electric shocks is just so funny to me.

I bought the record when i was 11 yrs old with money i saved from my paper round. it was my first. I wore the tshirt for about 1 yr until i grew out of it. i remember seeing this movie with my dad and best friend and that remains the best memory with him to date. What a great movie and a great year for movies. In fact it was doubled with the karate kid but was played first.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Marcon convention this year in Columbus, Ohio and the was a 'Ghostbusters" panel. It was a lot of fun discussing the film with other fans.
Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely love Ghostbusters its still one of my all time favourite films i have seen it thousands of times and know all the words lol! Favourite characters are venkman and stantz ilove venkmans sarcastic humour and stantzs childlike nature. Their is some of the best lines ever seen in a movie witty and funny.I introduced my kids to these 1 and 2 films a few years ago and they love them just as much as i do such a timeless classic!
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home