iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Say Anything - The Key Master Edition (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Say Anything - The Key Master Edition
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i read a discription of the plot for ironweed, it sounded like the writers were really shooting for a oscar with that one.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were. Nicholson and Streep got nominated, but not much love for the film itself. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to Say Anything...

I watched a part of it this morning... caught it as Lloyd was getting dumped.

And I think I like the first half way better. Because after the dumping.. it goes south for me. It's just odd, for some reason. And the reunion doesn't seem to be a bid deal, like in most movies, ya know? Maybe I expected that. Like most 80s romance movies, I just expect it to be there, I guess? That's the cliche I never seem to mind.

Like I said before, I wasn't a fan of it, but definitely get the love for the character of Dobler.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok gang I watched and liked Prizzi's Honor this last year.....I'm pretty sure I made a thread about it hahaa

I'd read this and a couple days ago Ironweed was on.....I watched maybe 15 mins and bam my A D D kicked in.........it was boring ZZZZZZZZ!

Back to Say Anything......sad it goes down south for you Ronnie.....ok that sounded funny. But I get what you're saying....It wasn't odd for me....just turned way more into a drama I guess for me?........I love Lloyd!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because after the dumping.. it goes south for me. It's just odd, for some reason.
It definitely changes tone and becomes more earnest. Making the dad a corrupt character always seemed like a plot device to me.

Man... this is turning into the anti-Say Anything page! It's an 80's hate-fest! Call out the mods! REVOLUTION!

quote:
sad it goes down south for you Ronnie.....ok that sounded funny
That sounded *rude*! Filthy beasts!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, it didn't feel like the dad's insurance fraude was just a plot device. It seemed believable because his daughter obviously meant everything to him, and he wanted to let her live her further life in the best possible circumstances...
This is coming from someone who is absolutely allergic to every type of 'deux ex machina' btw.
I think this movie is exceptionally well written. In the 80's, Crowe was probably the best writer of teen movies. Better than Hughes, yes. Crowe's screenplays had a more natural, real feel to them.

[ 07. September 2011, 11:32: Message edited by: Burnett ]

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the 80's, Crowe was probably the best writer of teen movies. Better than Hughes, yes. Crowe's screenplays had a more natural, real feel to them.
Contentious stuff there! I think both writers have weaknesses; Crowe seemed to have more... how can I put this? Pretensions to great writing? Does that make sense? I think I said somewhere (maybe this thread) that the whole reason Diane gives Lloyd a pen in Say Anything is just so Lloyd can say the line "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen". It just doesn't ring true to me. Also, he only wrote three movies in a decade, and one of them was based on his book which was largely him noting down actual events. If I sound like I hate him - I don't - I really like his stuff. It's just that Say Anything in particular hasn't worn very well to me, which I always thought it would. I *really* better stop criticising it now in case I sound like a hater.

Hughes' Achilles heel has always been over-sentimentality and mis-judged off the wall stuff (would Andrew *really* have started dancing hard after smoking a joint?! *Should* Duckie have looked at the camera at the end of Pretty in Pink?) But I have to give the edge to Hughes. Crowe produced two stone-cold classics in a decade (more than most) but Hughes - even excluding the Molly Ringworm trilogy - produced Some Kind of Wonderful, Ferris Bueller, Planes Trains, Uncle Buck, Vacation, etc... he just wins on sheer breadth and consistency.

That's my $2.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have known that one would provoke a reaction [Smile] .
I like Hughes's movies. Well, some of them - especially Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller. Not very deep stuff, but simple and fun.
His more serious movies, like Breakfast Club, always seemed to me like a thirty-something really trying to capture the teen psyche. He did quite well, but he never really got there.
Crowe on the other hand, never really seemed to try to understand teenagers like Hughes... Crowe just just 'got' them. His characters just came to life; they never seemed scripted. Plus, he didn't get sentimental or moralistic.
On the other had, Hughes probably had a more creative and playful visual style. And yeah , he did a lot more movies, but imho they never reached the level of Crowe's two classics (although Heckerling obviously had a big part in the exceptional qualities of Fast Times too).
Of course, that's just the way I personally feel about it.

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Logan I am a rude and filthy beast! anyone that knows me knows I am.........sure I look all cute and sweet..... [Razz]

Logan and Burnett....it was really fun reading you twos insight.....I almost think you need to make a separate thread altogether...."Debate Crowe vs. Hughes-who told the story better?"
[Big Grin] love it!

How do you guys feel casting effected their characters? and their believability?

I also agree Burnett.....Heckerling had a big part in the quality of Fast Times!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, talk about getting sidetracked. I come on here to talk about the topic Say Anything and its infested with 20 other topics. [Smile]

Anyway, watched it the other day, 1st time since seeing it at the movie theater in '89. Back then thought it was just ok but enjoyed my second viewing.

So many scenes were real situations for Terd. I loved the scene in his car when Lloyd shoved a matchbook under the playing cassette to get it to work. And the Metallica, Clash and other concert shirts.

The songs the girl sang about Joe were pretty funny also.

I also felt the movie started strong and the last third or so wasn't as interesting but I did like the father getting ______at the end.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home