iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Desperately Seeking Susan (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Desperately Seeking Susan
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just caught this on IFC today.........always has been one of my favorites..........and watching it today just reassured me.

Aidan Quinn, Rosanna Arquette, Madonna....look out for a young almost unnoticeable John Turturro.

A bored housewife becomes obsessed with a personal ad........"Desperately Seeking Susan" intrigued with Susan and by accident becomes Susan.......I love Aidan Quinn in this movie his sweet dreamy eyes!

So many scenes were shot artistically. Wardrobe is awesome! Dez'z apartment and the see through fish tank......Bruce Lee wall art. I love when 80's movies went all out with the new wave style of the time........Madonna's outfits!!

Lots of good songs in the soundtrack......

25 years and still a great movie.

-
 -
 -

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie!! I was a huge Madonna fan growing up (still kinda am), so this movie was always a favorite.

I always loved the scene at the dance club when Madonna is jamming to her own song! Laurie Metcalf's character was pretty funny too.."Take a Valium like a normal person!" [Smile]

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the dvd but i´ve never watched the movie.
I´ll try to check this out this weekend.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffster what an awesome choice to discuss!

"Desperately Seeking Susan" is a fun movie that I can only describe as New Wave Urban Chic. I never got to visit New York City in the 80's, but this movie gives us a taste of what I envision it to be like back then.

And You Can Dance For Inspiration!! .. totally agree with Veronica about the dance club scene. This movie was really not about Madonna, but similar to Rosanna Arquette's character .. as you watch Desperately Seeking Susan .. you are always looking for Susan to burst on to the screen again.

I always saw this movie as Madonna just playing her real life self or at least the image that she built for herself. The movie "Vision Quest" made me a Madonna fan, but this film is what truly solidified it.

And like everyone mentioned.. tremendous supporting roles by Quinn, Metcalf, and Turturro.

What is kind of amazing about this movie is the fact that it was so close to being cast in a totally different direction. I can't imagine anyone else in the role of Susan, but if a few studio execs had gotten their way this movie and maybe my view of 80's Madonna might have turned out totally different.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I own the dvd but i´ve never watched the movie.
I´ll try to check this out this weekend.

Same here AND same intention.
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie - then and now. 'Desperately Seeking Madonna'. That was the year she took over the world.

quote:
if a few studio execs had gotten their way this movie and maybe my view of 80's Madonna might have turned out totally different.
'Shanghai Surprise'?! [Eek!] [Frown] [Eek!]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madonna and movies aren't usually a good mix but this is a notable exception to that rule. Madonna was something else back in the day, liked her a lot but now that person no longer exists, don't know or recognise the Madonna of 2010, don't think I want to either.

Lots of good triva for DSS like Bruce Willis auditioned for the part of Madonna's boyfriend, Suzanne Vega auditioned for the role of Susan...

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen Barkin was considered for the role of Susan too.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen Barkin .. no way

Susanne Vega .. possibly .. she was always the essence of cool.

I was actually eluding more to the Diane Keaton and Goldie Hawn casting that almost happened until the movie budget got tight.

Keaton .. maybe

Hawn .. I just don't see it

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hawn is likeable, but she isn't really 'dynamic'. Ellen Barkin? Might be a darker movie.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susan vega - She was so unpopular for writing a couple of songs.She had to wear a stab proof vest coming out of a gig once. love the song queen and the soldier / in liverpool / Luka.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I met Suzanne Vega after one of her shows back in 2002. She was really nice, she signed some posters me and my friend had. Great show too.
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this in years, gonna bump it up the queue a bit.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watched this movie again after not seeing for years. And i'm gonna have to agree with the lot here. This is a great movie even by today's standards. I thoroughly enjoyed all the characters in this film, yes, even Madonna gives a very good performance. But i've always seen Madonna as a pretty good actress with a few hits and misses on her resume. But this is one of her earliest and definitely one of her best.

The rest of the cast is great too. Quinn is very good as the gulible and disillusioned love interest. Rosanna Arquette pulls off a very note-worthy "Damsel in Distress" performance. And I don't know the actors name who plays the creepy stalker, but he does a great job as well.

Overall, this is just a great drama/mystery film that should not be missed. It has a solid story, great characters, and a nice creepy suspense vibe that feels very vintage Hitchc0ck/De Palma at times. So, don't read up on it anymore. Just go out and buy it if you don't own it already.

[ 10. June 2011, 14:17: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
havent seen this one. just taped dc cab though, gonna give that one a shot tonight
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this movie is beyond terrible. If you like it that's great, just not my cup of tea [Smile]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it took me a few viewings to fully get into...but once I did..i loved it.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dc cab was great! hands down schumacher's best, so good i couldnt believe he directed it! not a weak character in the bunch, lots of funny lines. If you have not seen this i highly recommend it

now i will track down the movie of which this orginal post was about

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Alice in Wonderland-like story is amusing and the two main actresses do well. The athmosphere of New York by night is well captured and photographed (lots of green and yellow). I also liked Thomas Newman's music score.
Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought of it as an Alice in Wonderland-like story? it very much is.........cool take on it Burnett.

I really feel like watching it today.....I love movies filmed in New york in the 80's only wished I could have visited NY back then.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally watched Desperately Seeking Susan yesterday.
It was a good sunday movie and i love Rosanna Arquette. Madonna was ok too.

I love those dark New York alleys, streets and neon lights.

There´s a lot After Hours feel in this one and i think that Scorsese must have seen DSS before casting Rosanna.
In After Hours it was her time to be the mystery woman.

Madonna´s "In to the Groove" is a great tune and it was also nice to hear Foreigner cover "Urgent", performed by Junior Walker, in the film.

Nothing can beat the mid-80s fashion!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. So much fun and reminds me of my carefree club kid days (and nights). =)
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Madonna´s "In to the Groove" is a great tune

I was never a huge fan of this movie but I looove "Into The Groove"..one of Madonna's best dance songs ever.

I also heart Aidan Quinn in it, with his suspenders ha! [Wink]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There´s a lot After Hours feel in this one and i think that Scorsese must have seen DSS before casting Rosanna.
In After Hours it was her time to be the mystery woman.

I think that Rosanna Arquette was Scorsese's girlfriend around this time, though I can't remember if it was pre- or post-"After Hours."
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, maybe Scorsese saw the R-rated edit of the movie [Smile]
Rosanna dated lots of other celebrities back in the day (Porcaro, Scorsese, Newton Howard, Gabriel etc.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home