iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fresh Horses (1988) - Pretty In Pink 2?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fresh Horses (1988) - Pretty In Pink 2?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Shockingly, until a few years ago I had never seen the movie "Fresh Horses" (1988) with Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy where they attempt to recapture some of their "Pretty In Pink" magic. It doesn't quite work, but maybe the depressing story had something to do with it.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but for reasons that might not appeal to everyone on The Rewind. I totally love discovering an 80's movie that I haven't seen before and noticing actors/actresses that are either stars today or are from other 80's movies that I enjoy.

For instance with regard to "Fresh Horses", how about Ben Stiller as McCarthy's best friend. Or Viggo Mortensen (Lord of the Rings) as Molly's not too cool husband. How about Patti D'Arbanville (Real Genius) as Molly's friend. But my fav find was Molly Hagan (Some Kind of Wonderful) with that most spacious house and pool!

Now the really interesting part.. as I'm watching I notice that Ben Stiller has on a University of Cincinnati shirt and suddenly I realize that the movie is taking place in the city I currently live in... Cincinnati, Ohio.

So I've mentioned this before and posted a few pics.. but you just don't find very many 80's movies that were actually filmed in Cincy, so I just had to have some fun with it all.

After watching the movie.. I went on a quest to find several of the filming locations used in "Fresh Horses" .. looking back now.. that portable DVD player Nick mentioned to match up the shots would've made it so much better, but still awesome stuff:

-

The opening scene is shot from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River as you look at downtown Cincinnati all lit up back in 1987. You see it again later when Andrew McCarthy is parked under a bridge contemplating his situation. Above is my similar pic from 2006.

-

The tailgating scene at the football game is at the University of Cincinnati Bearcats Nippert Stadium. You can still catch The Bearcats in action there during football season.

-

The stairstep concrete wall McCarthy & Stiller are on toward the middle of the film is the Serpentine Wall on the Ohio River side down by the riverboats. It is near the Cincinnati Reds new baseball park.

-

And finally the crown jewel of my location pics was actually just luck. The place they went ice skating at the end of the movie is King's Island. Several years ago during the winter months, King's Island was open on the weekends for what was called Winterfest. The huge pond at the entrance is turned into an ice skating rink. It is actually way cool because the rink is right in front of a miniature version of the Eiffel Tower. The lucky part is I actually took the pic above several years ago and it might just have been around the same time this movie was being filmed.

So this why I have a passion for finding 80's filming locations...

[ 30. April 2010, 15:57: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool pics Valley. Living in Nova Scotia, Canada, the only option I have for movie locations would be...hmmm...taking a picture of a tree and telling you it's from Sherwood Forest in Robin Hood....Nova Scotia does have a couple of "real" notables...."The Scarlette Letter" w' Demi Moore, U571 w' Harrison Ford (some scenes filmed on Halifax Harbour), and "The Shipping News" w' Kevin Spacey...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool pics Valley! Cincinnati is a beautiful city...One of these days I will finally complete my John Hughes movie location quest and take pics for everyone here.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick.. I know you want me to track down the infamous railroad shack, but I have no leads.

I do know where the Molly Hagan's house with the awesome indoor pool is located, but haven't worked up the nerve to knock on their door yet..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46yBoVhJtSM
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home