iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Over, the Under, and the Unseen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Over, the Under, and the Unseen
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's the plan. List an 80's film in each category: Most overrated, most underrated, and a film that you've seen and liked that is obscure and mostly "unseen."

Over: The Gods Must Be Crazy (I almost felt like going with Prizzi's Honor, but Gods is so lame and crummy to me.)
Under: The Hidden (just terrific, and yet, still relatively unknown)
Unseen: TAG, the Assassination Game (original and outstanding all around, but no DVD) Runner Up: Wavelength (Could it be two Robert Carradine films in a Crash list?)

Your turn! Controversy and discovery here, kids...

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over: Rainman (good effort-but not Oscar worthy. Leonardo in Gilbert Grape was.)
Under: The Idolmaker (may tie for unseen too!)
Unseen: Fire with Fire (24 years and no DVD!)

I liked the concept of The Gods Must Be Crazy; that a group of people could be so isolated and unaware of the world around them, a Coke bottle is seen as a gift from the Gods [Smile]

The Hidden was good-that slug monster was enough to make me gag!

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice choices, Bamersy. I agree that Leonardo was just as good as Hoffman that year. The Idolmaker is such a fine little forgotten gem. And I will repeat your cry: "24 years and NO DVD!" If Screwballs 2 can get a DVD, why no love for Fire with Fire?
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Over: A Bronx Tale (All my inlaw's are in it, but still there is nothing that makes this movie close to goodfellas)
Tie: Pretty in Pink-- That's right, I said it, DEAL! It's pales in comparison to the other Hughes movies

Under: Dutch- Ed O'Neal is awesome in this.

Unseen: They call me bruce... tough to find.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Woah, and the controversy heats up quickly, Devolution. A Bronx Tale is OK, and I agree with you that it falls way short of the Goodfellas bar. A very, very intriguing choice there with Dutch. I've always found Ed O'Neal to be awesome in everything that he does. (He inhabited the character of Al Bundy more than I inhabit myself in my own life. He's an indelible American original.) They Call Me Bruce? Wow, another great choice. I remember seeing that--at least I don't think that I hallucinated it--exactly once back in the mid-80s on Cinemax. Whatever became of Johnny Yune?

All I can say about your "over" for Pretty in Pink is that I see out of the corner of my eye some cool looking, big-haired gals wearing colored high-top sneakers, acid-washed jeans, and Swatches loading up a few grenade launchers and heading in your direction. :-)

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, your in-laws are in 'A Bronx Tale'? That's so cool I'm almost inclined not to bring up the fact that its not an 80s movie. I quite liked it though, Chazz Palminteri was on fine form and did his script justice, not a patch on Goodfellas but few films are.

Over: The Goonies, I always preferred The Monster Squad.

Under: Mr Mom, most people remember Batman and Beetlejuice, but only a handful recall Keaton's gem of a performance here.

Unseen: Rambo III better than Rambo II though not on a par with First Blood.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All I can say about your "over" for Pretty in Pink is that I see out of the corner of my eye some cool looking, big-haired gals wearing colored high-top sneakers, acid-washed jeans, and Swatches loading up a few grenade launchers and heading in your direction. :-)
That doesn't sound like me at all. I don't have a Swatch. But still...

quote:
Tie: Pretty in Pink-- That's right, I said it, DEAL! It's pales in comparison to the other Hughes movies
NO DEAL! You picked 'Bronx Tale' so your choice is made!

There's nothing to see here people... move along!

quote:
Over: The Goonies, I always preferred The Monster Squad.
AMBULANCE! Somebody call an ambulance! We've got a sick man here! Delirious! Ranting! He needs help!

quote:
Under: Mr Mom, most people remember Batman and Beetlejuice, but only a handful recall Keaton's gem of a performance here.
Good call. Keaton's first hit, and written by Mr. Hughes. Dated in message but still solid and funny.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Keaton is terrific in Mr. Mom, the perfect example of a fine comic actor elevating a fairly sitcomy script.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home