iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Tuff Turf (1985) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tuff Turf (1985)
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Secret Admirer.. How awesome was Robert Downey Jr. in this movie?

Super-mega-awesome. He really played some excellent best-bud type roles back then.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who here called my name? Commence cringing [Wink]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lust Puppy!

Ever shoot anybody with that thing?

I think we're going to school..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The appearance of Jim Carroll in "Tuff Turf" is extremely cool..

"We'll be back in a bit with more tales from the crypt!"

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Also, so awesome to see all the Beverly Hills 80's mansions captured on film.

"What do you do when opposites attract?"

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best movie ever, we need a sequel. Kim Richards niece Nicky Hilton(not Paris) should get the Frankie role. We need a Tuff Turf franchise.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to report back that I have watched Tuff Turf again with my eyes glued to the screen and I loved every second of it even more!!!

Spader is so awesome.....the music alone makes the movie!

Jack Mack and the Heart Attack....T-u-f-f

Frankie is great....even though you wanna hate her sometimes....you can't.

It's one of those awesome movies with quotable lines, overdramatics, cheesy dance sequences, romance,awesome ending fight scenes!

I love the country club scenes with Spader and Downey jr.......hilarious

I'm so glad this is in my collection now because I could watch it over and over for sure!!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, you mentioned Jack Mack and The Heart Attack - weren't they sooooo cool? The 2 songs they added to the movie are high points for me. That last song... T-U-F-F, You're so tuff... try not singing it after you've just watched the movie - you cannot do it.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummy old school Kim Richards!
 -

Kim Richards is on The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills.

......and for those of you who want to see what she looks like now.....
 -

[ 14. December 2010, 20:58: Message edited by: skatexedge ]

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks skate! It sure is a yummy pic!
I´m also going to watch Tuff Turf again.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warriorwoman73
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for warriorwoman73   Email warriorwoman73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim still looks pretty good, despite the resemblance to Paris Hilton. I loved "Tuff Turf" - I even had the book that was released back when the movie was out. I'll have to dig through my parents' attic and see if it's still around. I remember on the cover it said:

"She's his baby...and he doesn't mean maybe." Too funny!

I adore James Spader and always have, but I'll bet he cringes whenever he thinks back on the piano serenade scene. That scene ALWAYS embarrassed me on his behalf - I actually used to make up an excuse to leave the room during that scene whenever I was watching it with other people. But, I'm sure most if not all actors/actresses have some early parts that they'd rather forget (i.e. Hilary Swank doing "Karate Kid 3")!

Robert Downey Jr. was adorable in this - I believe it was one of his first roles before his career really took off.

Now that I'm older, the true highlight of this movie is the fact that the late great Jim Carroll has a cameo and several songs in it. "People Who Died" is one of my favorite obscure 80's music gems. R.I.P., Jim.

Posts: 22 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dem be fightin' words Val! LOL!I'm of the "leave the room"/watch through my fingers/plug my ears and hum crowd for that scene! Having the book is so cool! Would love to have that one and Fast Times @ Ridgemont. I think I have the Pretty in Pink book though-and sealed LP [Smile]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man there was a Tuff turj book? You got to be kidding. I want it too! Tuff Turf is the greatest movie ever. Nick Hauser what a villain. Jim Carroll, Richards, Downey and Spader, you can't lose.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warriorwoman73
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for warriorwoman73   Email warriorwoman73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bamersy,

I own the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" book. I bought it on Ebay about 10 years ago for $40 as it's out of print. The book was awesome and provided lots of good background as to the characters (i.e., why Linda was so preoccupied with maturity, etc.) If you can ever find a copy, I highly suggest grabbing it!

Posts: 22 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I own the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" book. I bought it on Ebay about 10 years ago for $40 as it's out of print. The book was awesome and provided lots of good background as to the characters (i.e., why Linda was so preoccupied with maturity, etc.) If you can ever find a copy, I highly suggest grabbing it!
Sounds like we both picked up the book at the same time. It has SKYROCKETED in price now.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80s Movie Quotes
Rewind Curious
Member # 9340

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80s Movie Quotes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't own a car, man!" - Morgan (James Spader) tells Jimmy after the gangbangers steal his car.

***Incidentally, Kim Richards who plays Frankie Croyden is currently on "The Housewives of Beverly Hills" on Bravo. 80s Movies Quotes [Cool]

Posts: 2 | From: Miami, Florida | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched Tuff Turf afterrr..... 8 years of seeing it talked about on this forum ha! but i am glad that i finally watched it! i had no idea it was on dvd so i got the vhs tape for like, 3 dollars.

gotta give it up to the Valman for getting me to watch this one.

**spoilers**

i totally loved the character of Morgan. James Spader is such a 'cutie' and his affection for Frankie was so sweet, i loved it.
Frankie's personality...for some reason, i dug it! she was cool, pretty, she had a little attitude and a snazzy dresser ha.

about the country club scene, i thought it was great. even the part where Morgan sings..and the reason being, because that is the scene where Frankie starts to let him in..her face is priceless when he's singing to her.. so cute, and bashful! [Embarrassed] [Wink] ya ya, way cheesy but i saw passed that..

other great moments...

the warehouse scene Jim Carroll and the tunes.. loved that.

Morgan sneaking in Frankie's room..

and of course the dinner scene where Frankie meets his parents. she totally polishes up for him, how cute!

the club parts, where Frankie goes nuts dancing, did go on a little too long but i liked how it breaks you away from the seriousness of the movie. and i agree about that horrid wig on frankie's double haha.

and the music! very cool..after watching, i went and downloaded the soundtrack, had to have it. [Smile]

all the characters are great, even Robert Downey..without the Jr. at the time, as the clown who befriends Morgan...like val said, he played a great supporting role and good friend.

even nick hauser.. a total creepoid...very typical for these types of 80s movies. the last scene was sort of dark but i love that the movie ends with dancing and singing. [Smile]

Tuff Turf is definitely a movie i will want to watch every now and then. i'll have to get the dvd for sure.

i love movies like this one, and 1984..that i discovered thanks to the rewind..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. incredible posting and you totally mentioned all the things that truly make me 'love' Tuff Turf.     [Cool]

James Spader is considered an 80's bad boy because of most of his roles.. but for me he will always be Morgan Hiller. A guy that was quite misunderstood, but wasn't afraid to fight for the girl he connected with despite the obstacles and consequences they both faced to be together.

I actually convinced two of my friends to go with me to see "Tuff Turf" at the theater when we were kids.  The main reason from my perspective was the fact Kim Richards was in this movie.  I clearly remember my buddies razzing me about the title all the way to the theater.  But after the movie was over.. they actually were even more stoked than me about it.  Great memory!

"What do you do when opposites attract?"

Totally agree about Frankie's edgy fashion style.. though one of my fav looks was actually for the dinner scene.  And the glances Frankie gave Morgan once she starting trusting him were so real to me.

"Wounds of love Frankie."

And my hope is that someday I get the opportunity to ride around Beverly Hills  in a wicked set of wheels with the girl of my dreams trying to locate some of those amazing houses that they showed in the movie.

Sound fun?

[ 07. May 2011, 23:52: Message edited by: Valley ]

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
i totally loved the character of Morgan. James Spader is such a 'cutie' and his affection for Frankie was so sweet, i loved it.
Frankie's personality...for some reason, i dug it! she was cool, pretty, she had a little attitude and a snazzy dresser ha.

I love this!! I'm so glad you watched it too......i've really grown to love this movie....especially being I too only saw it for the first time a year ago. The characters were great and that is what makes it hold up so well, well acted and you just love them...I freaking love the music also!! someone was supposed to be making me a cd of the music??....think I should give up on ever getting that hahaha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks valley & muffy. [Wink]

so i have been talking about this movie to lots of people.. saturday night, i was a family gathering and mentioned the movie to some of my uncles and they cracked up laughing.. so apparently, the word 'tuff' or term 'tuff turf' was like a real saying?? they were all reminiscing about someone talking like that back in the day.. "that's tuff, maaan"..haha i love it. [Big Grin]

muffy i 'so' get what you mean about the characters...i want my own Morgan! [Smile]

and val, you are right about Spader, he is the total bad boy of 80s teen movies but he was awesome in this one, and played the good guy, i actually liked him in this role, better than the others.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people forget that Spader plays a great little role in Wall Street too. He's a great actor.

He's great in Seinfeld too when George is trying to force an apology out of him. When Spader first goes to AA and introduces himself, his facial expressions are priceless. He is a fantastic actor. Highly underrated.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Reboot .. for Spreadking and anyone else that decides to pick up the "Tuff Turf" / "Under the Boardwalk" double feature.

-

"How many bullets are left in this gun, Nick? Enough for Morgan? For my father? For everybody else who doesnt fit in your turf?"

I totally love to watch "Tuff Turf" late late at night (even more so in the last year!).. it just has that dark edgy feel to it. Probably because of the opening scene to the Marianne Faithfull tune "Love Hates" that just draws you into the darkness!

-

Oh and if you don't know what I'm talking about..

Jimmy Spader plays Morgan Hiller who is this ultra-cool Connecticut transplant relegated to a rough L.A. high school because his dad has run on hard times. Speaking of hard times Morgan quickly runs afoul of bad boy Nick who considers his girlfriend Frankie his personal property. Morgan see things a bit differently and pursues Frankie while still finding time to hangout with his new buddy Jimmy who just happens to play drums for Jim Carroll.

It's Too Late - The Jim Carroll Band

My favorite scene is when Frankie is doing her best to act proper while eating dinner at Morgan's parents house. Kim Richards looked great!

And the aforementioned scene at the warehouse when Jim Carroll was singing and Robert Downey Jr. was slamming on the drums had an incredible vibe.

-

"I don't think you can hold onto anything until you let it go."

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
It's the greatest movie ever. High schools need to put on plays, even musicals based on this. Some bright writer has to come up with Tuff Turf 2. Kim Richards needs to go back to her roots. Yes, it would be the children of the Tuff Turf characters getting involved with more urban mayhem, but could be a lot of fun.
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
It's the greatest movie ever. High schools need to put on plays, even musicals based on this. Some bright writer has to come up with Tuff Turf 2. Kim Richards needs to go back to her roots. Yes, it would be the children of the Tuff Turf characters getting involved with more urban mayhem, but could be a lot of fun.

Good idea about the high schools!
Kim Richards should lay off the "tuff" stuff first, and then get back to business.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Hey Riptide .. you left your jacket at the movie theater last night!

-

And Ronnie.. are you trying to imply that Kim Richards doesn't quite look like this pic any longer? I know you wanna to borrow that headband for next Saturday night! [Wink]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home