iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » ONE CRAZY SUMMER: Worth a re-rent? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ONE CRAZY SUMMER: Worth a re-rent?
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember not really liking this one in the 80s. But now Im wondering if maybe I 'missed' somethging. Worth a re-rent?
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sucks!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a huge Cusack fan, but this one was a miss for me. I can still watch it, but overall not one of my favs.

Have you seen "Hot Pursuit"?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it but i can understand the people who say
that it´s just a Better Off Dead afterparty from Savage Steve.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weak. Best thing is Bobcat Goldthwait dressed as Godzilla.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself had never seen it, so i bought a copy watched it and sold it the very next day.

weak...one of savage steve hollands worst.

If your into savage steve's movies try 'How I Got into College.

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG you guys !!! I just read this in disbelief?? I love this one........always did as a kid Murrey and his grandma leaving a bill after lunch?
the crazy sis with the cone dog haha I loved bobcat "the brothers". I'm with stupid.

Demi and her silly braid........the Holland drawings at the begining......HOOPS! you guys are serious? I want to die?

Now see Valley "Hot Pursuit" is blah in my book

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy.. I agree that "Hot Pursuit" is only marginally good, but it is way better than "One Crazy Summer' in my book. I've tried to give "One Crazy Summer" numerous chances to change my mind...

Can we at least agree that "Better Off Dead" rocks?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Hot Pursuit' has a stronger narrative drive. 'One Crazy Summer' has some really good moments, but they just don't tie together very well. 'Better off Dead' did the same thing as OCS... only cheaper... and better.

Don't worry Muffster, you retain street cred for liking OCS [Wink] For me, though, it was the weakest of the Savage Steve Holland trilogy (along with BOD and 'How I Got into College').

'Hot Pursuit' is a different type of film altogether.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I agree with Muffy, I love One Crazy Summer, I mean I love better off dead more but after many viewings the "This is what makes men, MEN!" "You know where I can pick one up?" makes me pee everytime. It's fantastic.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw HOT PURSUIT a hundred years ago and am re-renting that. I honestly couldnt tell you anything about it but that John Cusak was in it. I must have been drinking that day.

I love love love love BETTER OFF DEAD and THE SURE THING though.

Its funny, I just read Roger Eberts review of HOT TUB TIME MACHINE and he said that in all the years John Cusak made movies he almost NEVER made a bad one. He has a great track record. I have to agree: even movies of his I wasnt crazy about were pretty watchable.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Crazy Summer is hilarious! Ack Ack and the Stork Brothers...and one of the best scenes ever, Bobcat in a Godzilla costume going crazy. Great great movie.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this in a few years, but I remember it being pretty bad.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked it. It was on one of the Encore channels the other night.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually still have this one somewhere on VHS. Haven't bothered to watch it in a long while though because it's not even close to one of my favorites..The only decent characters I remember in it are Bobcat Goldthwait's and Curtis Armstrong's. And in all honesty, I didn't care much for Better off Dead either..only good thing about that film was the sweet 67 Camaro. Other than that it reeked. I'm just more of a fan of Cusack's more dramatic films..he never struck me as much of a comedic actor.

So..to answer your question...No, I don't think this movie is worth a re-rent. In fact, I might even sell my copy if I can find it.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved "One Crazy Summer" when I was a kid, but have never been able to watch it all the way through since...Like Valley, I always give it extra chances (it's on cable quite often), but it never manages to hold my interests. I never really liked "Sure Thing" much either. "Say Anything" and "Better Off Dead" are awesome in my book though!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I too didn't expect this reaction...I'm with Muffy & Devo...I LOVE One Crazy Summer...in fact, I've been feeling like I need to whip it out of the archives and watch it soon!!

Hot Pursuit did nothing for me [Frown] ...I wanted to like it...I swear! Oh well...

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the movie but it's definitely not one of John Cusack's better movies. It's also the first movie I remember seeing Jeremy Piven in.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
CIVIL WAR ON THE REWIND!!!!

WE HAVE REACHED THE RUBICON!

STATE YOUR SIDE AND THEN... FIGHT!!!!!!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many folks realize that after the failure of "How I Got into College," Savage Steve Holland went on to direct kids' shows like "Lizzie McGuire" and "Zoey 101." So sad... I always wanted to have a drink with the guy. Unfortunately, he did the one great comedy, an OK follow-up, and then "College," which I find to be a slog and a half. I spent most of its running time trying to count the freckles on Lara Flynn Boyle's forehead that they didn't cover with mounds of make-up.

[ 14. April 2010, 18:47: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love How I Got Into College...!!! OMG pick sides everyone haha [Frown]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I dont remember liking that much either - and I wonder if I should re-rent it. It deserves its one post so Im putting one up
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How I Got Into College" = two chuckles and a smile = film career wrecker for Savage Steve. It's so dull that it makes "One Crazy Summer," a marginally passable comedy, seem like "Better Off Dead."
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
CIVIL WAR!!!!!!
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I still loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this movie! haha
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home