iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Sequels are much better!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sequels are much better!!
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No i disagree but the argument is there to reason and explore. Are ALL sequels living in the original shadows or do they justify being made in the first place (money making aside).

Maybe godfather 2 is the exception. Was Temple of doom better than raiders? Should the Goonies have had a sequel a few yrs later? Gremlins and ghostbusters did and look at the popularity of those. Do we watch sequels just to see the characters and actors we love? Should Big Trouble in Little China had a sequel? What sequels do you think supercede the original?

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not an 80s film exactly, I'd say Batman Returns outstrips the original from 1989. More in the decade, Fletch Lives is about equal to its predecessor.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Godfather II is not the only exception. And yes, Temple Of Doom is better than Raiders.... there, I said it!

Other examples...

Missing In Action II, which was actually shot first, but relegated to sequel, when the execs at Cannon felt that the second, now known as the first one, was the better of the two, and released that first. Hence the title on the "sequel", Missing In Action II - The Beginning.

Rocky III and IV, I find much more enjoyable than the first two. Technically and narratively they are not better films, just more fun, and more rewatchable.

A Nightmare On Elm Street III and IV, I also find superior to their two predecessors. The original is the scariest one, But Dream Warriors and Dream Master are great 80's cheese.

Friday The 13th IV and V are my absolute favourites of the series. Maybe not as spooky as the first ones, but overall more enjoyable.

Crocodile Dundee II, Way more fun and more action than the first one.

Angel II-Avenging Angel, better than the first one.

Lethal Weapon II, better than the first one.

Christmas Vacation, better than the first two.

Star Trek II-Wrath Of Khan, better than the first one.

Superman II, better than the first one.

I could on.....

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 was better than the original IMO. I also liked Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Christmas Vacation and Fletch Lives.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empire Strikes Back.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Splash 2 [Confused]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you serious splash 2?
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope [Razz]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer these sequels:
Home Alone 2
Terminator 2
Another Stakeout
Back To The Future 2
And Batman Returns is my fave superhero film [Big Grin]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
oneyedwilly....got me curious about all 80's movies that have sequels...can we start listing them here, or would you rather I started a new thread? Don't want to take your thread in a direction you may not want to go. Cheers.
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a general rule, sequels are inferior. There are a few exceptions, IMO, of sequels that are better than, or just as entertaining as the original:

The Godfather Part II (Better)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Better)
Silence of the Lambs (Better)
The Dark Knight (Better)
Empire Strikes Back (Better)
Terminator 2 (Better)
Spiderman 2(Equal)
Aliens (Equal)
The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum (Equal)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Equal)
X Men 2 (Equal)
Toy Story 2 (Equal)

The there's the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which is outstanding, but I don't know if I would list it under a true "sequel" since they were filmed simultaneously, and they essentially tell a continuous story.

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you just reminded me saturn, For A Few Dollars more, my fave western [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
oneyedwilly....got me curious about all 80's movies that have sequels...can we start listing them here, or would you rather I started a new thread? Don't want to take your thread in a direction you may not want to go. Cheers.

follow the yellow brick road or to quote a character from the last american virgin - i dont care, dont care, i really dont care, i dont care..nah i dont mind kev, up to you mate.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if we want to stretch really far back, I'd say A Shot in the Dark was superior to the original Pink Panther and was in fact the best Clouseau film, although The Pink Panther Strikes Again comes pretty close itself.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
I prefer these sequels:
Home Alone 2
Terminator 2
Another Stakeout
Back To The Future 2
And Batman Returns is my fave superhero film [Big Grin]

oh pleeeeez reconsider home alone(90s) being better the 2 but may agree with you on marty and the doc 2 only just though . . . i feel much more nostalgic about back to the future as the soundtrack is much better.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in a list making mood so here´s my 2 cents.
My rule is that at least one of the movies from the series must have been made in the 80s.

Better than the original:

Empire Strikes Back
Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead
Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI
Rocky III, Rocky IV
Batman Returns

Equals the original:

Aliens
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
European Vacation, Christmas Vacation
Mad Max 2
Back to the Future Part II
Terminator 2
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
Halloween II
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Rocky II
Avenging Angel
Lethal Weapon 2
Bill & Ted´s Bogus Journey
Death Wish II
Porky´s 2: The Next Day
Loose Screws

Good movie:

Predator 2
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Die Hard 2
Return of the Jedi
Evil Dead 2
Back to the Future Part II
Terminator 3
Indiana Jones and theTemple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Alien 3, Alien:Resurrection
Halloween III, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Friday the 13th Part 2
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Escape from L.A.
Another Stakeout
Beverly Hills Cop II
Lethal Weapon 3
Another 48 Hrs.
Conan the Destroyer
Death Wish 3
Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!
Ghostbusters II
Gremlins 2
RoboCop 2
Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers

Ok flick:

Teen Wolf Too
Halloween 5
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child, New Nightmare
Army of Darkness
Beverly Hills Cop III
Rocky V
Angel III: The Final Chapter
Lethal Weapon 4
Grease 2
House II: The Second Story, The Horror Show
The Karate Kid: Part II, The Karate Kid: Part III
Mannequin: On the Move
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland
Zapped Again!

Crap:

Splash Too
Freddy´s Dead: The Final Nightmare
RoboCop 3

Lots and lots of movies and series are missing
but i just don´t remember them well enough that i could rate them.
Well, it´s a start.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
oh pleeeeez reconsider home alone(90s) being better the 2 but may agree with you on marty and the doc 2 only just though . . . i feel much more nostalgic about back to the future as the soundtrack is much better.
Well I only very slightly prefer Home Alone 2 if that helps hehe [Razz]
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
They're about equal and flow nicely into each other to make essentially one smooth narrative as I see it.
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
i never saw zapped again, mannequin on the move...thought weekend at bernies 2 was ok.
Army of darkness was totally not what i expected at all and was surprised how much it made me laugh and p%$"ed off at the same time. I watched deathwish 3 the other night and was reminded how ridiculous it was - so bad that its one of my favourites in that revenge genre.

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
ive kinda noticed almost everyone prefers empire to star wars - am i the only one who prefers star wars - i was never that wrapped up in empire - infact i saw it 3 yrs after watching return of the jedi at the cinema in London - just round the corner from where they shot the last scene in An American Werewolf in London - and theres another sequel that i think is bad - an american werewolf in Paris.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh god, Death Wish 3 is a hoot. I watched the first 3 again recently and enjoyed that the most [Big Grin]
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
Oh god, Death Wish 3 is a hoot. I watched the first 3 again recently and enjoyed that the most [Big Grin]

i havnt seen 2. . but 3 is a hoot, i couldnt stop laughing till the very end. im going to go buy it this weekend - i only have 1.
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Empire is better than Star Wars, though I find Jedi to be the most fun!

Death Wish 2 is more entertaining than the first, but nowhere near as hard hitting and poignant. Part 3 is just ridiculous cheese, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
ive kinda noticed almost everyone prefers empire to star wars - am i the only one who prefers star wars - i was never that wrapped up in empire - infact i saw it 3 yrs after watching return of the jedi at the cinema in London - just round the corner from where they shot the last scene in An American Werewolf in London - and theres another sequel that i think is bad - an american werewolf in Paris.

I prefer Empire Strikes Back to Star Wars, mainly because it challenged my ideas on how a movie can end: first time I'd seen a film where our heroes lose so badly.

'Is Han dead, he looked dead...Are you absolutely CERTAIN that carbonite is harmless?' these were questions that shouldn’t plague a 5 year old as the credits roll...Jedi was good but I was just relieved it ended well for the Rebel Alliance.

Rambo II is a joke compared to First Blood but Rambo III is on a par with the original IMO.

Gremlins 2 is better than Gremlins.

Bill and Teds Bogus Journey on a par with Excellent Adventure.

American Werewolf in Paris would be unwatchable were it not for Julie Delpy and a great song by 'Bush' (Gavin Rosdale) on the soundtrack.

Before Sunset was marginally better than Before Sunrise.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Gremlins 2 is better than Gremlins. [/QB]
[Eek!]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home