iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » License To Drive and your own driving stories.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: License To Drive and your own driving stories.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently saw this movie again (first time in over 18 years!) as a tribute to Corey Haim. Good film, helium light entertainment but funny and surprisingly suspenseful at times: Haim trying to borrow the Cadillac---more tension and close calls in that scene than in most spy movies, or that DMV woman coming back with the correct test results: Take the license and run Les, move to Santa Cruz if you have to!

The driving theory test scene was realistic, as anyone who's ever had to sit that pointless exam will know.

My computer screen froze mid way during the mouse click hazard test part, so I'm looking around the room waiting, wondering whether I've just been DQ'ed for multiple clicks or whether it was a glitch on their part. Fortunately, I didn't have any recollection of this movie at the time, otherwise I may've been tempted to hit the screen!

My first driving test was playing out like a dream:

Parallel park? Stunning.

Emergency stop? Hit the brakes, they drove right by and not a drop of coffee spilt.

Three Point Turn? The Stig would envy the Textbook precision with which I executed that move.

Reverse Around a Corner? One of the most absurd manoeuvres in driving but I bought it home when it mattered.

It was all but signed, sealed and delivered until a bread truck decided to stop in a narrow road. My wing mirror gently clipped its door like an amorous courtier nibbles the ear of an old lover, alas, for me; it was the kiss of death.

And yet I had to ask, in the vain hope that perhaps my examiner had temporarily lost all his senses for that brief moment in time: "Did it clip there?"

"Lets drive on" came the reply...

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I moved to Ohio, I had to take the driver's computer exam. I totally thought of "License To Drive" and actually studied the night before to avoid a Les meltdown. I kept laughing everytime the screen said "Correct" during the exam. I'm pretty sure that lady works at every DMV too.

Also, I can totally relate to the scene where Les talks his Dad into letting him take Mercedes home.. or across town as it turned out. Great stuff!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up on this movie I always thought for sure my driving test was going to be just like Les's!

You know this really is a great movie that still holds up now for me......I know people don't agree........for how many times I saw it as a kid and how great it is to watch now it's one of my favs.

I never bought the dvd and it's so stupid how expensive it is now!!! Why did it get discontinued and maybe it will get a re-release?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy .. I have the DVD and I agree that it is a totally underrated movie. I watched it the other night for the first time in awhile and found myself laughing out loud at more than a few scenes. I still chuckle thinking about Feldman discussing how Haim's date with Heather Graham was going and then they show Graham passed out with her face pressed against the backdoor window of the Caddy. Classic!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get it for 9 euro on play.com

play.com

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funniest thing for me is when Feldman asks Haim's sister a driving question through the intercom which morphs into an insult followed by a huge belch! Gets me every time!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this movie for the first time last night and it was awesome! I can't believe I passed this one up all these years.

So many great moments. And I had no idea Heather Graham did movies back then...she was so young!

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhh the dynamic duo. This movie was underated i think. All the above comments on those scenes are just tremendous. The face pressed up against the window, the insult and belching through the intercom...all great. i havnt seen this since i was about 16 now so may have to take a trip down memory lane again.

I failed my computer test 5 times. I took it during lunch time whilst in my final year at school. On return to my group of friends in our yr 12 designated area, they were supportive on my first fail, again on my second saying 3rd times a charm. On the 3rd they were surprised. On the 4ths there was mocking and laughter. On the 5th i had a reputation across the school and on the sixth go when i passed...they just didnt beleive me at all. Since that day, ive hit 3 cars, had 2 cars hit me and entered the neighbours front room via 2 fences and 1 rock garden with some really really amazing native flowers and various garden fixtures such as gnomes, lizards and wizards....and no im not joking!!

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is easily an essential 80's movie to own.
And being that I'm an abid Carol Kane fan, (yes, I own almost every movie she's in), this one was a no brainer for me..She's hysterical as the pregnant mother.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home