iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Night of the Comet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Night of the Comet
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Let's play a game, it's called scary noises."

-

"Living On the Edge" - Jocko Marcellino

"Night of the Comet" is a late night fav of mine. Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelli Maroney seemed like real sisters in a "Valley girls trying to survive comet dust eating zombies" kind of way ... ya know.

Samantha's dream sequence with the zombie cops was creepy gross, but still one of my fav parts of the movie. Actually, most of the scenes at the radio station are probably my favs. I think it is because the radio station had awesome 80's style decor with an impressive leather couch sectional and neon lighting all around...plus those bathroom fixtures were totally cool. But best of all were the tunes that they played at the radio station...

Also, watch closely as Samantha is playing DJ for the flesh eating zombies of the world and notice the title on one of the albums she tosses on the floor. How cool is that!

-

"That's the end of you DMK. You're history!"

-

I loved the use of the old arcade fav Tempest and how Regina was determined to knock 'DMK' off the high score screen and then she spent the rest of the movie trying to figure out exactly who was this "DMK" character.

Great Flick!

[ 28. January 2010, 02:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite scene in this movie has to be the one where Samantha and Regina raid the mall while "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is playing!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie, one of my late night faves.
along with "Night of the Creeps".

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back then I would have watched a 10 hour mini-series of Catherine Mary Stewart sit on a bench and watch paint dry. Best 80's chick ever!
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always put this and Night of the Creeps together too! two great scifi not so mainstream but awesome 80's movies!! I saw NOTC as a kid and didn't know what it was til the Rewind....I always remembered the scenes in the Radio station.

It's a great, funny, creative movie.......Kelly Maroney steals the show though she was cute and such a valley girl!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to this site I saw this movie for the first time a few years ago. Loved it! Looking forward to the next time I see that it's on tv.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved this movie when I saw it at Southland Cinemas back in the day...I love it now! Although I must say that the DVD cover is atrocious!!
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to watch this every few years. Was thinking the other day about Catherine Mary Stewart looking a bit like Rebecca Romjin Stamos/O'Connell face-wise.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide...you have better self-control than me. I often wish I would take bigger breaks between my rotation of fav 80's flicks. I will say that I've added more to the rotation as of late, but still over watch fav flicks.

I need to use my rule that I used for "April Fool's Day" where I only watch it on April Fool's Day week and again around Halloween.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, how often do you watch your fave flick "Valley Girl?" I think I watch that one like 3 times a year all the way through.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think it's time for a "Night of the Comet" movie party this weekend..
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen this movie in years-best parts for me were when:

Hector asks to see Sam's eyes to verify she's non-zom. My friend used to freeze frame that part with her hands on her hips and her eyes wide.

Wish I could remember the exact quote, but Sam said something to Regina like "You've stolen every boyfriend I've ever had, now you get the last guy on Earth?"

When that scientist tells the other one how easy it was to give Sam the injection and she says "What did you expect me to do, shoot her in the head?" Mary Woronov-Principal Togar from Rock n Roll High School and Calamity Jane from Death Race 2000-so cool!

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I am game for a "Night of the Comet" party any time!
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night of the Comet is fantastic! Takes me right back to being out on the couch in my living room as a kid, while my parents were asleep and I'd just stay up all night watching movies on HBO or Prism! I never thought this would see a DVD release but I'm sooooo glad it did!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Night of the Comet" is a small gem, for sure. Its director, Thom Eberhardt, also directed "Without a Clue," with Sir Ben Kingsley as Dr. Watson, Michael Caine as a drunken Sherlock Holmes, and Lysette Anthony (there's an 80s blast from the past) as the femme fatale. I've always liked it, though I've never met anyone else who has seen it. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Without A Clue" is a clever spin on the great Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is a drunk and Watson is the mastermind..

I will say that you are the first person I've seen mention it.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, obscuriata is me! Glad to meet the one other person on the planet who has seen it and liked it. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhhhhh valley, YOU ARE A LEGEND TO ME NOW!! I have totally forgotten this movie completely!! OMG!! Seriously, why have i forgotten this movie?? I havent seen this since i was 9yrs old.

I need to buy this tomorrow, cant beleive ive not remembered this, its greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

THANKS

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Without A Clue" is a clever spin on the great Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is a drunk and Watson is the mastermind..
My dad loved it.

quote:
Seriously, why have i forgotten this movie?? I havent seen this since i was 9yrs old.
Because a part of your brain was holding out for a special edition DVD... like we all were.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Okay.. the weather is beautiful.. I'm taking a 1/2 day vacation.. just finished eating lunch at Chick-fil-A.. now I'm heading to a hidden gem of an arcade that still has several excellent pinball machines (Fun House & Addams Family) and of course Tempest.. I'll be there until I at least get 6th place on Tempest and can enter DMK..

-

Then it is back to the house for an afternoon movie (details to follow when I figure it out)...

-

Then around 9pm it will be time for "Night of the Comet"

[ 16. April 2010, 10:58: Message edited by: Valley ]

cometzombie
Rewind Curious
Member # 9047

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for cometzombie   Author's Homepage   Email cometzombie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you need to know anything about Night of the Comet here is a fansite at www.nightofthecomet.info
Posts: 3 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | Registered: Jul 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home