iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » High School for you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: High School for you?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which 80's teen movie represented your high school experience?

There are so many excellent choices, but for me .. my high school days are best represented by the movie "Sixteen Candles"..

-

My character wasn't actually included in the movie .. I was the nice guy that was popular because of his abilities at sports that hung out with Jake Ryan, but was still friends with guys from different social orders. Might be why I love flicks like "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Just One of the Guys"...because some of the most interesting people in high school for me were the misunderstood social misfits. But while some of our fav 80's movies allow them to go from "totally geek to totally chic"...the reality was that it took a 20 year class reunion for that idealism to come full circle for my high school.

Okay back to "Sixteen Candles"...our school had a the 'who do you like' notes passed around in class, the awkward bus rides, the school dances that we were graded on for gym, geeks that thought $70 and a pair of girl's underpants were like Willy Wonka's golden ticket, parties at the 'coolest' guy in school's house when his folks were out of town, a popular guy that dump his cheerleader girlfriend for a sophmore girl nobody knew, and some wild stories from my friends and I about our incredible adventures..but unfortunately the pictures we took as proof just didn't turn out???

Oh and we didn't have a Long Duk Dong, but we had a guy that always showed up at every school function including our spring break trip to Florida.. that we later found out never even went to our school. That guy rocked!

What about you?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thread, Valley!

"Sixteen Candles," "Fast Times," and "Ferris Bueller" combined all remind me of my high school days. I could relate to Samantha Baker because of her obnoxious family (Remember the scene where her Grandmother talks to Jake on the phone? I had a similar experience...) and she just captured that awkward 16 year old essence well. Plus, all of us girls had a guy like Farmer Ted following us around, didn't we??

Stacy Hamilton's friendship with Linda reminds me of some friendships I had my Freshman year. Older girls who were supposedly more worldly and wanted to show you the way...And I kinda went from going after the jerks like Damone to being with a nice guy like Rat.

And "Ferris Bueller" reminds me of my Junior and Senior years of high school because of the friendships between Ferris, Sloane, and Cameron. Me, my HS boyfriend, and his best friend all used to hang out and get into trouble together. We even took a couple day trips to Chicago too (trying to emulate the movie, of course...).

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome topic Valley!

I'm gonna have to think about this one......whats so hard is I graduated in 96' so the 80's movies are hard for me to place myself as a high schooler then.

I was the art girl who went to rock shows all the time........had her group of friends she drove around with on weekends sneaking peach schnapps got a movie I could have related too? [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oddly enough I would say that even thought I graduated in 93, that my high school life was a cross between Hoosiers, (I went to a lot of basketball games) Weird Science (I was a math nerd, and kind of had a few friends that just caused problems, and Rad(I rode my bike EVERWHERE).

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oddly enough I would say that even thought I graduated in 93, that my high school life was a cross between Hoosiers, (I went to a lot of basketball games) Weird Science (I was a math nerd, and kind of had a few friends that just caused problems, and Rad(I rode my bike EVERWHERE).

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I can't really think. My high school was all girls so there was none of all that drama [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, good idea.

I'd say a good mix between Sixteen Candles and Can't buy me love. Maybe a few shakes of the Breakfast Club mixed in.

I was the jock but hung out with several different groups. I had a lot of friends that were considered the "nerds" (this reminds me of Can't Buy Me Love). I also dated a girl in high school that I felt like I "needed" to date. I didn't follow my instincts like Jake Ryan did and try dating other girls that I wanted to. Of course, young and dumb, but I would have changed that about my high school years. I always enjoyed times where school would put you in groups of people that you typically wouldn't hang out with (field trips, class projects, etc). This reminds me of Breakfast Club. That feeling of wow, it would be really cool to date this person, or hang out with this person. You would get that strong "crush" feeling for a day, only to be gone a few days later and nothing ever came of it. Good times [Smile]

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I graduated in 91, but my friends and I were so immersed in 80's music and movies that it's like the 90's never happened. My HS years could be seen as a cross between the movies Youngblood and Dream a little Dream. I had a great group of too smart for their own good buddies, but I loved hockey so much it wasn't funny. I liked Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Brett Hull and Patrick Roy about as much as I liked Beastie Boys, Metallica, Madonna, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys. So I kind of had my feet stuck in two camps.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, I was into the "art" crowd too. I graduated in 2000, but me and my friends were all really into 80's music (we went to Depeche Mode and Cure concerts) and 80's movies. Heck, we all watched "Valley Girl" after leaving school for the last time senior year...So I can definitely relate my H.S. experiences to 80's movies.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
Muffy, I was into the "art" crowd too.

Of course you were! you are so much like Eangel and I anyway [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I went to Ogden high school the same time they filmed 3 O'clock high but I really don't think that represented me in H.S. I'm n ot sure what movie did, I ran a store out of my locker selling soda, candy, chips, notebooks, pen, pencils, and anything else that I could get my hands on. So I'm not sure what movie matches me ANY SUGGESTIONS??
King

Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King,

Kind of reminds me of Damone pushing tickets to everyone. He was the guy who could get you what you needed. Ha. Fast Times at Ridgemont is where my mind went.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol I never sold tickets but yea I guess thats sound about right.
Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides Damone another 80's movie hustler was Styles of Teen Wolf.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kingcain..I was totally thinking Damone from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and noticed gordongecko had picked up on it first. And Riptide's suggestion of Stiles from "Teen Wolf" is awesome too.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:

I was the art girl who went to rock shows all the time........had her group of friends she drove around with on weekends sneaking peach schnapps got a movie I could have related too? [Smile]

Muffster..I was so thinking you would relate to "Say Anything" especially with your Seattle connection! I can totally see you as someone like Rebecca or D.C. in high school that helped Corey give Lloyd Dobler advice about Diane Court.

Of course, you are probably saying ..

Valley...that'll never be me, that'll never be me. That'll never be, never be me. NO... NO, NEVER, NEVER, EVER. And don't you EVER THINK IT!!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a class-clown. I was never 'in' any social group, but then again nobody seemed to actively dislike me. It didn't help me that my best friends and the people I hung out with went to another school entirely. I liked comic books (when it was insanely unfashionable to do so - I was the only kid at my school that did) and I listened to and watched music/movies from all eras. Everyone else seemed to be consumed by the 'current' things.

Life for me (and I'd imagine for most British schoolkids) was emotionally like a US teen movie (universal experiences, etc), but physically unlike it:

School uniforms; Prefects; 'Houses'; Grey concrete buildings. School for me was like a mix of 'Gregory's Girl' (without the Scottish accents) and 'Grange Hill'.

Worth pointing out that in the UK we leave school at 16, and we aren't allowed to start driving until we're 17. Which severely limits the kind of social life you have (unless you're a pretty teenage girl who's dating an 18 year-old with a car).

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
I don't know, I can't really think. My high school was all girls so there was none of all that drama [Razz]

Oh, I can give you two choices: Christine, Jordan, Jim, and Bubba from "Private School" or Tracey, Palmer, Eddie, Bif, Muffy, and Rand from "Making the Grade".
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love it! ok Say Anything......cool point about Seattle though i've only been here 10 years...I'm really liking the Say Anything idea....that was my friends right there.....and we sorta had a Lloyd Dobler in our group

[ 21. January 2010, 16:04: Message edited by: Muffy Tepperman ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and we sorta had a Lloyd Dobler in our group

Be honest... you were his Diane Court.

Did you give him a pen?

It was a pencil?! That's terrible.

Oh, I get it... he only gave you his pancreas. Yeah, that's a fair trade.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy.. that is awesome that you knew a Lloyd Dobler in high school. I wasn't quite a Lloyd Dobler, but I definitely had some of his unique qualities when I was in high school. For instance, there was a girl I liked and we sat next to each other at the mall...definitely a first date. So had my friends take pics of us together..well incognito style as I snuck up beside her..usually with me doing the rabbit ears on her. And I was the ultimate party keymaster that let her mingle with everyone while I checked in to make sure she was okay. What an awesome romance we had .. of course she probably still thinks my name is Donald. Sorry wrong movie!

I want to watch "Say Anything" now...

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No 80's movie, but my HS time was alot like Dazed And Confused, even though that is set in the 70's. And im ashamed to say that I was a huge douche to hundreds of people, so I was probably a mix of Don Dawson and Clint Bruno!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Don Dawson was hilarious and overall harmless, but Clint was a

Jay Lee... I only came here to do two things, kick some tassh and drink some beer....

Looks like we're almost outta beer!

If you've read my take on "Dazed and Confused" then you know I love it. It's a 90's movie about the 70's that feels so 80's when you're watching it.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
There'll be no morning for us..I thought of one more for ya..how about "Fire With Fire"..

How are cliffdiving skills?

Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
quote:
Besides Damone another 80's movie hustler was Styles of Teen Wolf.
quote:
kingcain..I was totally thinking Damone from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and noticed gordongecko had picked up on it first. And Riptide's suggestion of Stiles from "Teen Wolf" is awesome too.
Riptide and Valley Man I haven't seen Teen Wolf in years I have to watch it again and see this Stiles guy. The only thing I remember about the movie is the van surfing scene.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home