iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » MOVIE OF THE WEEK: LOSIN' IT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MOVIE OF THE WEEK: LOSIN' IT
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay-
So I did a search on this to see if at some point I had already done a topic of the week one, I came up with nothing so here goes.

I thought of this movie because of the recent career resurgence of Jackie Earle Haley. As many of you already know Jackie will be playing Freddy Krueger in "A Nightmare on Elm Street" coming out this spring. I for one can't wait to see it because I think he is perfect in roles like that. Now that I have said my schtick about him let's talk about "LOSIN' IT"!!!

What can be said about the all-star cast in this one. Tom Cruise, John Stockwell, Jackie Earle Haley, Shelley Long, and Rick Rossovich. This starts out as your typical 60's teen romp about a rowdy group of boys headed to Tijuana for some risky fun and get in a whole heap of trouble along the way. A heartwarming note about the film was the subtle and compassionate relationship between Shelly Long and Tom Cruise's characters, not something easily found in a teen romp.

Let's discuss: What are your thoughts on this film??

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, funny flick.
The cast is good and it was directed by Curtis Hanson.
He´s done some very good movies IMO.
Of course the location is also a bit exotic.

-

[ 20. February 2016, 02:42: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackie Earle Haley? Was he the guy with the Sinatra fixation in the movie? I used to fin Losin it a bit fun, haven't sat down to watch it in ages. Just wonder if this movie made anyone want to plan a Tijuana roadtrip?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackie Earle Haley has just starred in 'Watchmen' as Rorschach.

I seem to remember 'Losin' It' as a slightly above par loss of virginity movie. Like Rip I haven't watched it in a long time.

[ 15. January 2010, 10:06: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I like it, funny flick.
The cast is good and it was directed by Curtis Hanson.
He´s done some very good movies IMO.
Of course the location is also a bit exotic.

-

Kreisi Bisnes [Big Grin] Is that finnish for Crazy Business, as in a nod to Risky Business??
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie you lost me at Jackie Earle Haley! Why?

Because he is also known as the legendary Kelly Leak from the "Bad News Bears" trilogy of films that I loved as a kid. From The Bad News Bears to Losin' It to an Oscar nomination for the movie Little Children. Wow!

As far as Losin' It..I've always thought it was a fun south of the border flick. I've only seen it a few times and there are some hilarious moments, but not a movie that I ever owned.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley have you seen his performance in Little Children? He definitely deserved his Oscar nod. He was just born to play roles like that.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To JAY LEE,

you´re absolutely right [Big Grin]
I love these silly finnish 80s names...

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen this one. I love JEH in Breaking Away, and of course BNB, and he was great in Little Children (I bought a copy at the video store when they were closing). I have yet to see All the King's Men, the other movie he did the same year as Little Children.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of this either, but Rick Rossovich starred in one of my all-time fave 80's movies - Spellbinder!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Shelly Long and I liked the part she played in this movie but i'm with Valley on this one I liked it but will never own it.

JEH is sorta creepy

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy he is creepy!
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I saw Losin' it in my youth, and thought it was ok at best. It just didn't really appeal to me.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie haha! I looked up IMDB after and totally think he might be fitting to play Freddy!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, everybody, if you would like to view "Losin' It," then you can do so on YouTube. Choaps27 has the whole film posted on there.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to get hold of some Spanish Fly because of this film.
Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to say these words TUCK N' ROLL
Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this the other day. Always liked it. I agree with some of the posts here. If you are my age you definitely remember JEH As Kelly Leak from Bad News bears. He actually was a intimidating figure in BNB To myself. Hard to believe since he is so small. All image I guess. And Shelley long and Cruise just don't go together. Perhaps Rebecca demornay would have been a better choice but all in all a fun film.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the VHS somewhere, bit it's been years since I saw it. A lot of these films like this and Porky's, Fraternity vacation, etc., just kind of blur together with the same themes. Fun seeing pre-superstar Cruise, Shelley Long and Stockwell though. I may attempt to see this again.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home