iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Class of 1984 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Class of 1984
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'd never seen this one in the 80's I had it on my wishlist back when it's now on DVD

it plays like an early 80's movie..opening bad graphics and Alice Cooper song haha...Perry King plays a new teacher to a inner city school where a gang of punk kids run the school.
I really enjoyed watching the Featurette Blood and Blackboards with the director and actors now talking about how the movie became a cult classic and really was a scary reality to what schools could become.

Pretty cool flick......

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was gonna post a link to a youtube clip but found this instead a kindof cool series funny take on the movie Gulity Pleasure Class of 1984
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks cool, I'll have to add it to my long list of movies to watch.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
cool Veronica and let me know when you do! [Smile]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We are the future... and nothing can stop us!"

Except the changing of fashion.

I have vivid memories of the cover of this film down the videoshop. It has a really nice b-movie feel.

Check out the early part for a chubby Michael Fox!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timothy Van Patten was one of the most disturbing villains I saw in an 80's movie and some of the scenes were down right nasty. I got the special edition DVD recently and have yet to see the extras but what a dark film and what an ending!
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of this, but sooo want to see it now. I love Muffy xxx
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love Earth Angel! XXX [Smile]

Don't get me wrong because some of the scenes are so over the top......but some seem so real and dark they do stick with you.

In the Doc....they talk about how even the club scene was real punk teenagers and it got a little out of hand.

Timothy Van Patten was great.......his smartassness, awkward grins, he was horrible and believable!

They even talk in the doc how they re shot the end after screenings and it makes all the difference.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have never heard of this, but sooo want to see it now.
Eh? Why? Statements like that are occurring far too often on this forum from people that consider themselves 80's fans. You've been registered here for 6 years, you have no excuse!

Here is your homework:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/Browse.htm

It's an 80's site that has a pretty good movie listing section. Go through the list A-Z. There *will* be a test.

quote:
I love Muffy xxx
quote:
I love Earth Angel! XXX [Smile]
Girls, seriously, if there's any more giggling you're going to finish the sleepover without the TV.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright mate...calm down.

Just because you are an 80's fan, doesn't mean you have to heard of every film. I like to go and check out films on the list on here when I hear of them. I don't have the time to rush out and buy every one on the list.

That's one of the good things about this site, that we get to share stuff, and introduce others to things we may have missed, or think people might like.

Some things like valley Girl are huge in the USA but not here, I have seen that now, thanks to this site.

And we wouldn't have the tv on anyway...we would be painting each others nails and talking about boys.

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I know funny eh? Did you know Earth Angel and I met in real life? thats where all our silly affection comes from haha her and I are totally like a bunch of teenagers at a sleepover........ok dad [Smile]
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Angel thats what I love about the Rewind too. There have been so many movies I only found out about on here ie: Something Special aka Milly Willy, Nice Girls don't Explode and I love them now!!

Only here can all of us that have so much in common help each other discover movies we still have yet to see!

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Yeah....so there!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I'm concerned .. you two girls can say how much you love each other all you want...and please feel free to include me whenever possible!

Sleepover! What was this thread about?

Seriously Logan5 .. are you trying to make people mad on purpose or are we just misunderstanding you?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Long reply coming! Woo-hoo!

quote:
Alright mate...calm down.
Don't worry, I am calm. It just reads like I'm not. Check it: [Cool]

quote:
Some things like valley Girl are huge in the USA but not here, I have seen that now, thanks to this site.
Ah... see, interestingly; Valley Girl was never really that big in the US either. It was a b-movie that did ok at the box office and was then largely forgotten by most people. It's only since the internet and people like the members on this site (including me) that the film has (justifiably) been revised as a classic. Don't be fooled, though! Many of the people on here (even from the US) didn't see Valley Girl in the 80's. You aren't being a slacker McFly!

quote:
And we wouldn't have the tv on anyway...we would be painting each others nails and talking about boys.
Even though there's an 80's TV marathon starting with BTTF then 16 Candles?!

quote:
I know funny eh? Did you know Earth Angel and I met in real life? thats where all our silly affection comes from haha her and I are totally like a bunch of teenagers at a sleepover........ok dad [Smile]
Muffy gets it! [I knew you two had met up for real] Someone has to make sure that you guys behave when you're having a sleepover!

quote:
Yeah....so there!
I can still cancel that Pizza young lady! Now turn the music down and behave!

quote:
As far as I'm concerned .. you two girls can say how much you love each other all you want...and please feel free to include me whenever possible!
Is that a boy in there?! [Mad] [Eek!] [Mad]

quote:
Sleepover! What was this thread about?
It was about viscous 80's gangs terrorising innocent kids. I've derailed it.

quote:
Seriously Logan5 .. are you trying to make people mad on purpose or are we just misunderstanding you?
Seriously - I'm not trying to make people mad (If I was, I certainly wouldn't start with Angel or Muffster!) I'm kidding and exaggerating with my 'finger wagging' for effect (I should probably use more smileys... [Roll Eyes] ). But I am legitimately recommending browsing the movies on the site, as I know that we all tend to congregate on the forums. It's a great place to start when people recommend stuff, especially since the reviews are written by our own members.
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Ok Dad.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee're sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. Now Can Veronica come and stay over next weekend? [Wink]
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too funny.. [Razz] I loved reading, but you're right you're right Valley, I forgot about what movie was posted by the end. Oh well, we gots to have our fun too! By the way logan, I haven't seen this one either...let the finger wagging continue. [Big Grin]

I do however fully intend to check out the link...Thanks!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Ok Dad.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee're sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. Now Can Veronica come and stay over next weekend? [Wink]
After all the noise last night?! I suppose I'll be paying for Pizza again? Grumble grumble... moan moan.

quote:
Oh well, we gots to have our fun too! By the way logan, I haven't seen this one either...let the finger wagging continue. [Smile]
Interestingly, it also had a couple of sequels, one of which came out in the last days of the video rental 'boom': 'Class of 1999'.

Less interestingly. Class of 1984 was one of the movies in one of my great 80's video 'hauls'. I found it, 'Hard to Hold' and 'Wizards' all perfect condition at the same time from a second hand store. Class of '84 had only been issued as a pre-cert and never issued again so it was *very* hard to find. All I had was horrible quality bootleg. I hadn't seen a decent quality version of it or Wizards (also *incredibly* hard to find) in years.

Ahh... everyone's fallen asleep.

*tiptoes out of the room and quietly closes the door*

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Class of 84 and Tenement are a good double billing for that crazy, psychotic dark 80's feel.

Could you imagine if Vanpatten and James Spader from the New Kids joined forces? Sheesh.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is starting to remind me of the first time I watched "Class of 1984" ...I thought I was sitting down to watch a Michael J. Fox flick .. instead it turned into a street fight to the death.

Overall, it was a very good movie, just not what I was expecting. I have not seen the "making of", but it does sound interesting Muffy.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right class, settle down! [Razz]

Good movie; the way the director builds up the injustices and frustration is quite masterly in spite of the trashy, B-movie origins.

Some of the late 70s early 80s flicks were distinctly different in the way they viewed the world: I always say the shiny, happy 80s actually began in 1984 (ironic given the film we're discussing) and anything before that was still in the more serious, 1970s mindset.

Class of 1984 is probably the closest Hollywood will ever get to something like A Clockwork Orange.

Class of 1984 and The Warriors would make for a great double bill IMO.

Remember; before John McClaine, there was...Mr Norris!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Could you imagine if Vanpatten and James Spader from the New Kids joined forces?
Dutra RULES!

quote:
Some of the late 70s early 80s flicks were distinctly different in the way they viewed the world: I always say the shiny, happy 80s actually began in 1984 (ironic given the film we're discussing) and anything before that was still in the more serious, 1970s mindset.
I think the 80's in the UK began in '81 with the ascension of Adam and the Ants, The Human League and Duran Duran to the charts. In the US it seems more like '82 to me. '81 and '82 were the plateau years of AOR in the charts. But MTV gradually changed the scene throughout '82, and by the time 'Do You Really Want to Hurt Me' and 'Hungry Like the Wolf' were moving up the US charts in late '82/early '83, the 70's were officially over. People like 'Rick Springfield' and 'Quarterflash' kind of bridged the gap between the two eras.

Class of '84 definitely has that 70's exploitation feel to it. A pre-MTV world in which middle class white kids who can play the piano (quite well!) are actually frightening gang leaders. Dammit! Guns ruined everything! If we were still scared of piano playing the world might be a better place!

[ 10. January 2010, 15:51: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
Good movie; the way the director builds up the injustices and frustration is quite masterly in spite of the trashy, B-movie origins.

Class of 1984 and The Warriors would make for a great double bill IMO.

Great description Kash! it could be called Troubled Teens double bill at the Drive in! I miss Drive ins [Frown]

And I never saw Logans reply that cracked me up [Smile]

JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have, okay I still have it in my attic, a VHS tape with Class of 1984, Savage Streets, The Warriors, and 3:15 The Moment of Truth on it. I watched it all the time through my high school years.

I also used to have a VHS tape with Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Valley Girl, and Fast Time at Ridgemont High on it that I watched all through high school.

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
This looks cool, I'll have to add it to my long list of movies to watch.

Veronica, if you truly would like to watch "Class of 1984," then you can simply visit RealDeal117's channel on YouTube.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home