iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Grease 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grease 2
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Saw this on Vh1 today and was reminded by how much I love it. I don't care what anyone says, but this movie is superior to the original in so many ways. The soundtrack is filled with guilty pleasures like "Reproduction," "Cool Rider," and "Score Tonight." The cast was perfect, with Maxwell Caulfield and Michelle Pfeiffer in the lead roles and some 80's favorites like Adrian Zmed, Maureen Teefy, and Pamela Adlon. Even though the movie is set in the early 60's, it has the '80's written all over it. I don't know any girl that grew up in the 80's that doesn't pretend she's Stephanie Zinnoni when riding on a motorcycle!
 -

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica, what an incredible thread!! You really gave Grease 2 an awesome tribute....too bad you have lost your mind thinking it is better than the original. ha

Well, I know you probably helped developed the website below along with the 'other' person that is a fan of "Grease 2", but definitely worth checking out.

Grease 2 Website

Actually, Grease 2 is a guilty pleasure and if you pay close attention you will find an 80's fav of mine...Lucinda D ickey.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the first movie is definitely more classic, but the 2nd one is just so bad it's good!

I wish I did have a hand in creating that site! Me and my cousin used to fight over which one of us was more like Stephanie...ha!!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice thread Veronica, welcome to the Rewind btw, but I have to echo the sentiments expressed by Valley: Grease 2...why?

One of the few movies where I actually knew for a fact that I, with absolutely no acting experience whatsoever, could do a better job than the cast.

So who was more like Stephanie; you or your cousin?

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash..I was kinda of joking..I'm the 'other' fan!

I think Veronica put it best..."Grease 2" falls in the "so bad it's good" realm.

Plus, her and her sister probably do Grease 2 karoke concerts for the family at Christmas. Ya think?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Kash, you're funny...My cousin finally settled for Paulette's sister...and yes, Valley, I would totally sing "Cool Rider" in karaoke!!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't care what anyone says, but this movie is superior to the original in so many ways.
I love Grease 2, and certainly don't knock it the way some do. But that statement could get ya snuffed out!

I actually saw 'Grease 2' before 'Grease' and for a while I liked it better. Over time I realised that Grease just seemed to be a much stronger film in many areas. I saw that my youthful preference for Grease 2 had more to do with my attraction to Ms. Pfeiffer than any true filmic quality. Let's face it; John Travolta can sing ok and he can dance very well, Olivia can dance ok and she can sing very well. Maxwell and Michelle were a cute couple, but they really weren't good singers/dancers. Maxwell in particular wasn't a singer in any way (I do like 'Charades', but he has no power in his voice!)

Grease 2 is silly but fun. Grease is also silly, also fun, but a lot better made.

quote:
Me and my cousin used to fight over which one of us was more like Stephanie
Why did I think you were a guy?!

Come on, admit it; your love for Grease 2 stems from the "Maxwell's cuter than John" school of thought!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it this weekend too (even thoughI HAVE it on DVD)- its one of those movies -as is GREASE - even though I have them on DVD if I KNOW they are on TV I sorta HAVE to watch em! My husband and daughter were cracking on me the whole time. Its like the MCDONALDS of movies: I know its not GOOD for me but I cant stop myself! Hahaha

Now GREASE -the first one- is my all-time favorite movie. GREASE 2 for me is just a cheesy Guily Pleasure that the whole family ridicules me for liking (except for my teen nieces, who love it too and probably prefer it to the original GREASE)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Logan - Just to clear things up, yes I am a girl...and yeah, probably a lot of my love for "Grease 2" has to do with my childhood crush on Maxwell Caulfield....But, I do think part 2 is much more romantic than the first one. Plus, it's more 80's, so of course I like it better! I do love the original though, don't get me wrong.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now GREASE -the first one- is my all-time favorite movie. GREASE 2 for me is just a cheesy Guily Pleasure that the whole family ridicules me for liking (except for my teen nieces, who love it too and probably prefer it to the original GREASE)
Keep playing your nieces both movies and eventually they may change their minds. As Ronnie said, the movie is more romantic, which will appeal to teenage girls a lot, but it doesn't make it a better movie; especially when everything around that romance isn't quite up to snuff. I always harbored a belief that Maxwell Cauldfield would have more appeal to teenage girls than JT purely on looks (I know, I know! Don't kill me!) Maxwell is 'prettier', but John looks more masculine. I think as girls get older some of them would switch to John.

quote:
Logan - Just to clear things up,
This is gonna be messy!

quote:
yes I am a girl...and yeah, probably a lot of my love for "Grease 2" has to do with my childhood crush on Maxwell Caulfield....
I knew it! I felt the same way regarding Michelle vs Olivia. Except that Olivia had a better voice. But a better voice doesn't always trump better looking (Michelle's character was spunkier too).

I'll say it loud and proud: I think Olivia Neutron Bomb has one of the best voices ever! It's like warm velvet. But I still found Michelle Pfeiffer more attractive when I was younger. Now it's Olivia all the way!

quote:
But, I do think part 2 is much more romantic than the first one.
Agreed (see above). I used to buy into that too, except that as I got older the romance seemed more and more the teenage 'imprinting' kind, where the guy gets to play the hero and the girl gets to find the dreamy mystery hunk she's been pining for is actually the dreamy hunk right under her nose! It's all a bit teen and unrealistic (not a bad thing when you like the film and take it for what it is). There's less 'romance' in Grease but it has much more believability (even though it's also silly wish fulfillment - the car at the end just underscores how tongue in cheek the film is).

quote:
Plus, it's more 80's, so of course I like it better! I do love the original though, don't get me wrong.
Too late. I've gotten you wrong.

I'm kidding!

I like the 80's-ness of Grease 2, unfortunately it lacks the heavyweights that made Grease such a hit: The original musical as a source; John Farrar's songwriting skill; Barry Gibb's theme song. On and on.

In some ways I think Grease 2 should have been called 'Son of Grease' (the original title) then maybe people wouldn't have been so hard on it at the time. Although, that didn't exactly work for 'The Next Karate Kid'.

Wait a second... there could be something to this; Michelle Pfeiffer starred in a critically mauled sequel to a huge hit; Hilary Swank starred in a flop sequel to huge hit, yet both of them ended up as huge stars!

It's the recipe for guaranteed success! Tell no one!!!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife's absolute favorite movie is Grease, and she's made we watch it...one million times! To my point...when I was a kid, we had one of the first movie channels available (remember...the control box was actually plugged into the TV with a long wire). Back then, they re-played ,movies over and over...and we watched them over and over...one of those movies was Grease 2...I loved it as a young kid and (please never repeat this)...I still like it. I bought it on DVD, and, get this...my wife wouldn't watch it with me [Eek!]

PS: I'm a happily married man who loves football and hockey...had ta get that out there... [Wink]

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kevdugp73...great story...even if you are a tulip.

ha..that was from "Just One of the Guys" a movie I love. We all have guilty pleasure movies that our football buddies need never know about.

Hilarious that your wife won't watch "Grease 2" with you.

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darnit Valley, since I already ousted myself...add "Annie" to that list [Frown] I love that movie...ummm...GO BEARS GO!!

* I have "Just One Of The Guys" as well...a good one.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home