iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fast Times at Ridgemont High

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I've seen this probably 500 times, but watching it the other day on Encore made me love it all over again and want to post about it, so here are my thoughts...

-Sean Penn really needs to do more comedies. But maybe he knows he will never be that funny again?

-Whenever my brother used to watch this movie with me, he would always say, "why does a girl in every 80's movie have to get an abortion, and it's like no big deal afterward?" I think he is just comparing this with "Last American Virgin."

-Yes, Spicoli is awesome, but isn't Mike Damone really the star here? It's a shame he hasn't done more stuff.

-I love that this movie was shot at the Galleria mall just like Valley Girl. I'm always expecting to see Julie, Loryn, Stacy, and Suzi in the background somewhere.

-People always rave about the soundtrack, but it's really kind of hit or miss. "Raised on the Radio" sucks but The Go-Go's songs and "American Girl" make up for it I guess.

-What was with those dangly feather things that Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh wore throughout the movie? They looked like dream catchers or something!

This movie never gets old to me and I haven't really met anyone who didn't love it. What do you all think?

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely put me on your list of someone that enjoys "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I totally agree that the soundtrack is very hit & miss overall.

Mike Damone is slimy awesome ...on 80's sport coat night.. I will often quote his tips for Rat before the big date with Stacy...

The Sherman Oaks Galleria was the ultimate for 80's movie locations including flicks such as Fast Times and Chopping Mall. I too always thought Valley Girl was filmed at The Galleria, but recently found out its food court scenes were actually filmed at the Del Amo Fashion Center mall in Torrance, CA. Last time I visited my friend, Brian, in LA..I did an 80's movie location day and paid it a visit just to verify. Even ate lunch at the Chick-fil-a you see in the movie!

Oh and for your 501st viewing ... have some fun with this:

I Watched Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread "Fast Times" Valley. Keep threads like that coming!! "Can't Buy me Love," please?
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a classic for a reason.

Fast Times is one of those "we all agree" type movies (like the Hughes movies). The people that say they didn't like it will be lonely indeed (especially here!)

The real question should be... how do people feel about 'Hot Times at Montclair High'?!!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Is that a parody movie, Logan?
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not a parody. Just a very lame highschool T & A type movie that came out quite late in the 80's and clearly tried to steal some magic from Fast Times by borrowing from the title!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth Angel..did you just say you have never seen "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"?

Check out this thread and click the link for tips for first time fast times viewers. Ha

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well....Panic over. I just picked up a VHS copy from Amazon for the grand total of £0.01 with £2.75 postage. I will let you know what I think [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelli Maroney
Rewind Curious
Member # 8989

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kelli Maroney   Author's Homepage   Email Kelli Maroney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the cheerleader Cindy Carr.
Posts: 6 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Too funny! I always liked Dina Phillips better. [Wink]
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You two really are too funny!! [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cometman
Rewind Curious
Member # 8999

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Cometman   Author's Homepage   Email Cometman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Posts: 6 | From: San Jose | Registered: Jul 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you you guys know Crowe had a book out before the movie that now commands a hefty price? Why wouldn't they still print it? eh? I don't understand?

-

I want to read it bad!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I have actually held this book a long time ago. I would imagine it's hard to get a hold of.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I bought that book about 10 years ago and read it really quickly, and now I have no idea where it is [Frown] I think I paid like $35 for it back then, so I imagine it's even more expensive now. I remember it being a pretty fun read though, and of course it gives lots of additional info about the main characters.
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why isn't that book back in print?? I'd love to read it!

The Go-Go's song referred to above is called Speeding. It was a B-side from the Vacation sessions. Good song but then again I'm a major Go-Go's fan!!

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
That book was one of my first ebay purchases - mind condition hardback. It seems to be worth a lot more now! It's like the film (with some extra stuff and some parts that were slightly different to the movie).

Muff; if you want to read it then search out the movie tie-in paperback. It would probably be cheaper.

Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favourite 80's movies. Everything works in this one: the characters, the acting,the soundtrack, the pace... And of course, the legendary scene with Phoebe Cates, on which every rental tape got stuck.
It's funny, but it also handles some serious matters.
Fast Times is a movie I can watch over and over again. A true classic!

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know the real location of the dugout scene with Stacy and Ron Johnston. On the Fastrewind movie review page for the movie it has 2 postings of the location but the 2 locations are different.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never watched this film but it's definitely on my list of films to watch now. It sounds really great to watch.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David J, it's a must see 80's movie!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DavidJ. Pittsburghgirl speaks the truth. You must watch it asap. The sooner you watch it, the more you Will be able to see it again and again. Start now before its too late.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home