iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Vision Quest (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vision Quest
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thread reboot....Earl mentioned this movie ...so let's discuss.

Michael Schoeffling is one of my 80's heroes. I was a bit shocked to find out Judd Nelson had just turned 50, but more shocking for me is that Michael Schoeffling will be 49 on December 10th. So let's show him some 80's Rewind love!

-

"Vision Quest" is one of the best sports movie of the 80's. The soundtrack is totally kicktassh in my opinion. Matt Modine does an outstanding job of portraying a quirky 18 year-old athlete trying to find his place in the circle. Add in the brilliant Michael Schoeffling as the best friend and this is one excellent flick. btw, that noise you just heard is Cindy Mancini frustrated about her failed 'vision quest' to track down the elusive Michael Schoeffling aka Jake Ryan.

I loved the final match though some will say contrived, it still gets a "Karate Kid" fist pump move from me everytime as Louden Swain leaps into his teammates arms to the vibrations of Journey's "Only the Young". Speaking of awesome tunes.... how about Journey, Berlin, Madonna, Red Rider, and many more.

"It aint the six minutes kid, it's what happens in those six minutes that matters"

-

-

This is just a reflective moment, but has anyone else ever thought about how the decisions you make when you are 18 years old can shape your life forever? You don't even realize it at the time, but choices you make then could be the most important ones you ever make...very scary stuff ya know.

Okay, back to the movie, sports for some people (like myself) are a part of that kind of thinking. The big game still runs through my mind 20 years later, so I'm sure it does for so many others as well.

"But all I ever settled for is that we're born to live and then to die, and we got to do it alone, each in his/her own way. And I guess that's why we got to love those people who deserve it like there's no tomorrow. 'Cause when you get right down to it - there isn't."

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to add the full speech. Loudon needed a kick in the backside.

"I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the goddamn goalie never knew what the **** hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.

That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes."

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it appears my memory embellished that quote a bit, but l so enjoyed reading the full version Spreadking. Great stuff!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie and soundtrack. I have yet to buy my copy though....soon! The Swain scene in the gym with John Waite playing in the background rocks....
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you just knew I would have to weigh in on this one, but it almost feels like I don't need to as you have really brought out the spirit of what makes this such a great movie. I am typically not "moved" too often by everyday events, but when it comes to these types of movies, I am truly an unabashed sentimentalist.

What this movie really reminds me that I must do is start a thread so we can discuss not favorite movies of the 80's, but rather personally iconic movie moments. I would love to hear what touches and moves other people and for me that often comes right down to specific moments. Sure those moments need the context of the entire movie to work, but when they build to them, they sometimes come out of nowhere and catch you by surprise and often become some cathartic release that you didn't know you needed. The West Wing often worked that way for me as well as a host of movies, but you all summed up a perfect moment in the scene with Lowden and Elmo when he is talking about Pele and ..."Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to..." was just one of those lump in the throat type moments and just kind of seared itself in there for me.

Truly an all around great movie with a perfect pop soundtrack with soaring anthems (journey) and the use of each piece defining each scene, they used it so well and not only drew me further into the character and scene, but helped to imprint it. I can't hear Change without thinking of Lowden breaking from the circle after being told he won't be allowed to wrestle Shute and he hits the board and does something none of the rest of them can do on the peg board.

The use of Lunatic Fringe as he silently prepares and when you hear the announcement of his name muffled through the doors and the roar of the crowd, he hits the doors to an explosive rip of the guitar announcing him to the field of battle. And of course the afore mention use of journey not only throughout, but again appropriately to take us out the lyrics telling the story of Lowden's vision quest. "Only the young can saaaayyy...they're free to fly away..."

I'm sorry, but I just love stuff like this and it never gets old for me. Never. Cool topic Valley! Thanks! That's fun stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A definite favorite of mine and I was never a wrestler! This movie inspires me when it seems like I can't make it over some obstacle in my life. Great music as well.
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oneyed & Bamersy .. my favorite Journey tune in an 80's movie is "Only The Young" in "Vision Quest"!

Shute going down..

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen it since it came out-did like it and the love story-and the Madonna song. Didn't she sing it in the movie as herself?
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
movie:  -
soundtrack:  -

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Bamersy.. Madonna plays herself singing two awesome tunes.."Crazy For You" and "Gambler" during a night club scene in the movie. She had no true acting role in the movie, but her performance was very memorable.

"Lies In Your Eyes" and "Warning Signs" are two other songs which she was suppose to sing in the movie, but were later left behind. I wonder if someone has those performances captured on film?

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special edition needed for this one?

quote:
"Lies In Your Eyes" and "Warning Signs" are two other songs which she was suppose to sing in the movie, but were later left behind. I wonder if someone has those performances captured on film?
Interesting. She's no Lady Gaga.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
logan5 .. I doubt there is enough interest for a special edition, but I'd obviously love it.

- deleted scenes
- comparing the book to the movie
- cast commentary
- where are they now? - Michael Schoeffling, Pele, and the guy that played Shute
- Madonna 1984 versus Madonna 2010
- Nick's Rewind location shots - inside Carla's closet or laundry basket

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Vision Quest for the first time last year...I loved it. A great 80's feel, great tunes, Madonna in her prime. Alas, I am currently stuck with a crappy cardboard cover for my DVD. Is there a non-cardboard cover available...I like this movie enough to re-purchase...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always loved this one! great movie, great soundtrack!
Matthew Modine is great...his obsessions and how they take him over...Linda and her husky voice...early Madonna in a dive bar.

I LOVE MY CARD BOARD COVER! It's like a record cover for me and how they continue the art on the inside....because doesn't it suck when you open the CRAPPY plastic DVD for the first time to find there isn't even an insert! grrrarhhh

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I saw Vision Quest for the first time last year...I loved it. A great 80's feel, great tunes, Madonna in her prime. Thankfully, I am currently stuck with a great cardboard cover for my DVD. Is there a rubbish non-cardboard cover available...I hope not
Fix'd.

quote:
I LOVE MY CARD BOARD COVER! It's like a record cover for me and how they continue the art on the inside....because doesn't it suck when you open the CRAPPY plastic DVD for the first time to find there isn't even an insert! grrrarhhh
I'm hearing myself... and I like it!

We should form a club... 'The Cardboard Kids'? 'The Warner Snap-Box Society'? Surely there's a movie in there somewhere!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I just looked at the cool inside of my DVD cardboard cover..........it's a great drool worthy photo of Modine plus the Chapters are noted for when music is played (Lunatic Fringe) etc........that's cool!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
and I just looked at the cool inside of my DVD cardboard cover..........it's a great drool worthy photo of Modine plus the Chapters are noted for when music is played (Lunatic Fringe) etc........that's cool!

Actually, that is cool! I may have to pick this version up before it becomes extinct!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brrrrrr....got a little chill so I lit my cardboard DVD covers on fire and placed them in a tin pot....feeling warmer and surely not missing my DVD cases. Had to burn approximately 10 covers...I tied the loose DVDs individually on a piece of fishing wire and hung them all on a clothes hanger...then I hung the clothes hanger on an ironing board and placed it right in the middle of my living room. It will take some getting used to, but...sure does look better than all those crappy DVD covers! Muffy and logan 5...two spazzies does not a club make...you crappy cardboard cover lovers....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kev I just read this laughed so hard. Then I went to look at how many 80's movies I had with cardboard covers. So sad I only have 7........they are all Warner Bros and they all do the soundtrack tracks noted in () next to the chapter it's in...how did I never notice before?!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Yeah Muffy...I kinda like that too. For several movies, my wife made me new DVD covers with original cover art, then (hope this don't hurt too bad)...I'd cut the cardboard cover out and use it as an insert. Gremlins and Ghostbusters were two in particular that I just couldn't settle for anyting but the original cover art! * I have about the same amount of cardboard covers as you (7-10), but I usually aim to replace them if I see them in the store for cheap enough...I've also outright refused to buy certain movies with cardboard covers...though typically regret this when I can't find the movie again. My hate will live on [Razz]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
sure does look better than all those crappy DVD covers!
Lies!

quote:
Muffy and logan 5...two spazzies does not a club make...you crappy cardboard cover lovers....
Yes it does! It does if the spazzies say it's a club!

quote:
then (hope this don't hurt too bad)...I'd cut the cardboard cover out and use it as an insert.
NNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! MONSTER!!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

quote:
My hate will live on [Razz]
So will ours! (Mine?)

CIVIL WAR AGAIN!!!!

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wermnsdfjksdfn
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Pyromantic.. were you just bored last night or something?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol was thinking same
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think drunk maybe?
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home