iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Streets of Fire (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Streets of Fire
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Streets of Fire" is an incredible mixture of music, dialogue, and violence. One of its taglines is "A Rock & Roll Fable." That is a perfect way to describe this combination of the past and fantasy comic book style romance.

-

The second Ellen Aim and the Attackers take the stage you know you are in store for a unique and power adventure.

-

The casting was so on...Michael Pare was outstanding as Tom Cody and Diane Lane embodied the essence of Ellen Aim. But the real fun was Willem Dafoe as wacked out Raven and Amy Madigan as Cody's tough sidekick McCoy.

The soundtrack is magic with tunes like "Nowhere Fast", "I Can Dream About You" and "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young".

But the real kicker for me is the fact I got to see and hear it in HD tonight. The colors popped and the music soared. Reminded me again how special this movie can be when you are in the right mood!

[ 09. November 2009, 05:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun flick! The opening is great and really sets the tone for everything that follows.

I used to have the HD-DVD until I sold all my HD-DVD stuff (of the whopping 6 movies I had, only this and Fast Times hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet... soon I hope!)

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only other movies I can bear to watch Rick Moranis in are My Blue Heaven and Little Shop Of Horrors.

He's not bad in this one at all - plays Billy Fish just right.....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love rick moranis and his role in this one. he's trying to be serious and sarcastic..hehe and still makes me laugh. his scenes with mccoy are hilarious. [Big Grin]

michael pare is gorgeous in this movie!
and as for willem, he was freaky as raven. defoe has always been good at playing those bad guys and weirdos.

as much as i love e.g. daily, she annoyed me in this. not a lot, but mostly because she's the tag along, i guess.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie might be able to answer this questions....

I've heard rumours that "Streets of Fire" was intended to be a trilogy, but the poor box office performance of the original killed any sequels. Was there ever any screenplays for the other two films?

Also, some people are calling the movie "Road To Hell" (2008) a loosely based sequel. Has anyone seen it...I know they used the names Cody, Ellen, and McCoy?

The original Streets of Fire seems to get better the more times I watch it!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Ronnie might be able to answer this questions....

I've heard rumours that "Streets of Fire" was intended to be a trilogy, but the poor box office performance of the original killed any sequels. Was there ever any screenplays for the other two films?

Also, some people are calling the movie "Road To Hell" (2008) a loosely based sequel. Has anyone seen it...I know they used the names Cody, Ellen, and McCoy?

The original Streets of Fire seems to get better the more times I watch it!

Valley, I don't know about the others, but the stories that you have heard that Streets of Fire was to be the first of a trilogy only for the film's poor box office takings to put paid to this are true.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few indelible images and scenes from this movie that have stayed with me, I think in large part due to the use of the music over the scene. It is always easier for me to recall images set to music and I always like the end after the fight. The editing of the motorcycles pulling away and jump cuts to the stage with the start of "I Can Dream About You" overlayed which I just loved.

The group that sang "lip-synched" the above mentioned song coming back out on stage to back up Ellen and their dance steps as they would glide behind her, arm punching straight out, knee up in unison in a line. I haven't seen it in some time, but like I said, just images that stick with me.

I also remember and loved the entrance of Tom Cody. Coming into the diner, getting a butterfly knife pulled on him, taking it away from the guy, slapping him around, closing up the knife and handing it back to the guy so he can try again...classic...classic entrance in any movie!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Diane Lane do her own singing or did she lip synch?
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lip Synched. The vocal performers are the same as on the Soundtrack album.

IMDB Soundtrack page

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought the dvd and watched this after some 20 years.
What a classic this movie is!

The directing, cinematography, editing, acting, the music.. it just all "click´s".
Fantastic stuff!

Walter Hill - one of the greatest directors of all time!

Now i definately have to buy the soundtrack.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good: I loved it as a kid and it makes me feel nostalgic. Diane Lane was beautiful, the songs are great, and Dafoe is a great villain.

Bad: Pare lacks the charisma needed to be the strong silent type, and the film feels like it had 20 minutes cut out the middle. Something doesn't quite work.

I still love it and think it's a good film. But it could've been a great film.

quote:
Now i definately have to buy the soundtrack.
You lose ten retro points for not already owning it.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, that really hurt [Cool]
Luckily i have so much where to take [Wink]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Streets of Fire" in HD is incredible!

I just realized that the guy Cody teaches a lesson to in the beginning of the movie is Paul Mones who was great as Nick in "Tuff Turf".

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just ordered this, never seen it before. I wonder how many retro points Logan's gonna dock from me [Frown] [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
All I'm gonna say is "Streets of Fire" is an experience and the louder you play it .. the more awesome it is in my opinion. What I love about it is the fact it is like no other 80's movie!

There'll be no morning for us...I hope you enjoy it!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
I've just ordered this, never seen it before. I wonder how many retro points Logan's gonna dock from me [Frown] [Razz]

4. Hmm... as it's you... 3.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, not too bad [Smile] [Razz]

Ok Valley I will have it blasting [Wink]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to get his on DVD, my taped off TV VHS copy will not suffice. Val, didn't notice Paul Mones in the beginning, he was also in this TV show with Swayze in the early 80's called Renegades.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was in FRY'S ELECTRONICS last night and saw streets of fire dvd with a completely different cover haha. i have the originally released dvd with the drawn cover art like the vhs version.

wonder if it had any extras, i didn't get a chance to pick it up and look at it.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wasthis it?

-

[ 22. January 2010, 20:55: Message edited by: Valley ]

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

yes! haha..doesn't compare to the original case. [Smile]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I hate bad photoshopped covers. Anyone could do something that good in their own home. DVD's should use the original theatrical posters for their covers.
lovely_julie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6249

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lovely_julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this movie:)
Posts: 61 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by lovely_julie:
Love this movie:)

This movie loves you. And don't you ever forget it.
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
I hate bad photoshopped covers. Anyone could do something that good in their own home. DVD's should use the original theatrical posters for their covers.

I agree fully! I'm sure the problem is that the cheap bean counters at the studios don't want to have to pay the original design team/artists again! That's suckage but apparently that's how it goes.

Great movie by the way! I was fortunate to have seen in in the theaters when it came out.

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home