iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What if First Blood had ended like this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if First Blood had ended like this?
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Blood Alternative Ending

A very powerful scene, brilliantly acted by Stallone (there’s a sentence you don't see written down too often). I suspect that if they'd gone with this ending; Sly would've taken home an award of some kind.

First Blood is a masterpiece, Rambo is ridiculous but mildly amusing, Rambo III is great if somewhat OTT and Rambo (2008) is a lot like the sequel; entertaining but badly acted.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Blood is definitely a masterpiece. I love this movie and the ending you reference holds much closer to the original ending played out in the original David Morrell novel.

Makes you wonder if they were thinking sequels even before the final edit. hmmmmm....

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at it this way, what would a Stallone movie be without at least 3 or 4 sequels ? It just wouldnt be right ! It would be like Kenny Loggins not doin 80's movie theme songs...
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then where's my Over The Top 2?! [Razz]
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah man, I was waitin to be called on that one. I shoulda said Sly's biggest hits !!! [Frown]
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

What did anyone think of Rambo. Short, to the point, but pointless if you ask me.

First Blood is awesome. Rambo made me want to never be in a war. Those bullets went through everything.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
I have to agree on that Devolution. I think the main problem for me with Rambo is that it just hasn't aged well at all like some others, particularly First Blood. I really enjoyed it back in the mid-80's and it was kind of an "event" movie that everyone was hyped up for and I really liked it. Today it just seems flat. Not terrible certainly, but just kind of whatever. I often catch some of it on a basic cable channel on like a sunday afternoon and don't feel cheated for not seeing the first half or when I keep flipping.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree. First Blood is my fave Stallone flick of all time(Rocky IV is a close second). The other Rambo's didn't do much for me. I can watch First Blood every day if I had the time.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it helps that there Rambo isn't the almighty killing machine they'd make him into in later installments; indeed, I can recall only one corpse throughout all of First Blood, and in that instance Rambo only did it in self-defense, making it far more easier to remain sympathetic to him.

Of course we must remember that overt patriotism was so much higher back in those days, with the Russians seemingly poised to take over everywhere if we dropped our guard, so in many ways the cartoonish Rambo of later films was more a product of the times (take a look at any Cannon production of the day for instance where Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris mow down Soviets and Arabs and other one-dimensional foreign types left and right for further examples). Fortitously, I do believe we have grown much better than that these days, although back on topic one must wonder if Rambo would have come out as the same character if the series was rebooted in the present.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home