iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fall is around the corner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fall is around the corner
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live up in MN and walked out my door this morning and felt the cold air hit my face and said to myself, wow this feels like fall weather already. Being my favorite time of year I got kind of excited. My next thought was, what movies would be great to watch to get me in the mood for autumn. I checked the weather and it's supposed to be pretty cold this weekend so I was thinking of staying in and watching a bunch of fall based movies (this is my first free weekend in forever).

Here's where you come in. I'd love to hear all your suggestions. I'd prefer to watch 80's/early 90's but if you have any other suggestions they will all be welcomed.

Thanks for your help!

GG

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG - I live right below you in Illinois, so I know just what you are talking about! Probably a little early, but some of my very favorite fall time movies (doesn't everybody save certain movies for a certain time of year?) are ther Halloween movies! I love 'em and they always come in perfect this time of year.

Of course there is Children of the Corn (noticing a theme here?) which very well encapsulates end of summer / early fall!

And seriously, with Favre signing to the Vikings and football just around the corner, who couldn't go for some Varsity Blues & Necessary Roughness?!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earl, ya I hear you on it being a little early but I'm starting to get a little excited for it and with the crummy weather slated for the weekend I thought, mind as well (I know it's a bit of a stretch [Smile] )

Ya Halloween is always my go to. Children of the Corn would be a good one too! I tend to go to the horror movies but am looking for some other ones to mix in as well. My girlfriend is not as much of a fan of slasher films.

Now as for Favre, I'm a transplant from WI and a huge Packer fan so this whole thing is crazy! Can't wait, the NFC North will be a fun one this year [Smile]

Other movies I have thought of:
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Funny Farm (kind of fall themed)
Family Stone
Dan in Real Life
Sleepless in Seatle
When Harry Met Sally
You've Got Mail
Rudy

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Gord...a great movie highlighting Thanksgiving is "Pieces Of April" with Katie Holmes. Love this movie and highly recommend it.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Will Hunting
Autumn in New York
The Big Chill
The Breakfast Club
Indian Summer
The Ice Storm
School Ties

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back To School (1986) - Much respect to the guy who got no respect...And the Triple Lindy! [Wink]
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost Boys or Red Dawn are good to get ya in the end of summer spirit. Of course neither are upbeat so it depends on the kinda mood ya wanna be in when your done watchin the movies !!!
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Well I waited as long as I can but the weather grabbed me again a little early! But two weeks better then last year [Smile]

So it's one year later, and Favre is still here in MN (booo) so I guess a lot hasn't changed. Just wanted to bump this up to the top and see if there are any other good suggestions for fall movies!

I'm really looking forward to leaves changing, warm clothes, and curling up on the couch for some fall classics.

New one for the list:

The Trouble With Harry - Old Hitch**** movie, got it in my netflix que!

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am loving this weather! So sick of the sticky hot humidity we had in July and August.

Every fall I usually watch all of the Halloween-Michael Myers movies. A newer movie that is perfect to watch in the fall is Trick r Treat (not the one with Ozzy, it's a new one with Anna Paquin).

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady in White has a great fall feel for me!

Why are people naming movies that aren't 80s? grrrr haha I could care for that rubbish...if it's fall or not! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Whoops [Frown] I guess I got caught up in the fall thing a little too much! Ya this weather is great right now up in the midwest!

VS- I agree, I love watching the Halloween and Friday the 13th movies.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by gordongecko:
quote:
I live up in MN and walked out my door this morning and felt the cold air hit my face and said to myself, wow this feels like fall weather already. Being my favorite time of year I got kind of excited. My next thought was, what movies would be great to watch to get me in the mood for autumn. I checked the weather and it's supposed to be pretty cold this weekend so I was thinking of staying in and watching a bunch of fall based movies (this is my first free weekend in forever).

Here's where you come in. I'd love to hear all your suggestions. I'd prefer to watch 80's/early 90's but if you have any other suggestions they will all be welcomed.

Thanks for your help!

With Autumn coming up, that means Halloween is getting close around the corner. And that means lots of horror movies!

But since I'm not a fan of horror movies, I'll let others chime in on that genre.

I agree with the others have said, but would like to add in Woody Allen's "Hannah And Her Sisters", the only other 80's movie (besides "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles") that takes place in Thanksgiving.

For an early 90's movie, you might want to try Barry Levinson's "Avalon", which partly takes place during Thanksgiving and toward Christmas.

For an old pre-80's movie, try "Miracle On 34th Street", which begins during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York.

Hope this helps!

[ 03. September 2010, 12:02: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this fall, i am planning on watching Friday the 13th movies parts 1 through 7.

Family Stone and You've Got Mail are great fall movies! i know they aren't 80s but still!
and i agree with Veronica about Trick 'r' Treat, the latest one. great fall movie!

i wish i could recommend some 80s movies for fall, but i just automatically think about Halloween and all the 80s scary movies?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Tim Burton movies are perfect for fall too. Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, and Nightmare Before Christmas especially.  -
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tron. Whatever the weather: Tron. Trust me.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home