iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anyone seen Light of Day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone seen Light of Day?
esmagnus
Master Rewinder
Member # 8099

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for esmagnus   Author's Homepage   Email esmagnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Michael J. Fox. Just ran across the title today, but can't get it on Netflix.

Anyone seen it?

Posts: 171 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I did see that movie when I went through my late 80's Michael J. Fox obsession. Joan Jett was also in it, which was pretty cool. Truthfully, it's been so long that I only remember the basic plot details from the movie. I don't remember being overly impressed with it, but that could have been a result of the young age I was when I saw it. Back to the Future (love it, love it, love it), The Secret of My Success, and Teen Wolf were more my type of fare at the time.
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was so so. Not great. Watch it just to see Joan Jett... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a copy on VHS but haven't watched it yet...on my list....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Hated it.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated it too. I love love love Joan Jett and so I made a friend who had seen the movie already rent it for me one day when I was at her house. It was just a real downer of a picture.

SPOILERS - unless Im remembering wrong the mother is dying (cancer?) and Joan has an illegitimate child who was fathered by - a preiest I think? Its been so long I cant remember.END OF SPOILERS

Ive toyed with renting it again to see if maybe now that Im older its a different experience, but Im pretty sure it isnt.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another case of Michael Fox being miscast when he was trying to be an 'adult' actor.

I think I read somewhere that Springsteen was going to be the lead at one point, and he had the script by Paul Schrader then called 'Born in the USA'. He liked the title and used it for a song (then an album). When it became clear not only that the title couldn't be used anymore (and that Springsteen wouldn't be in it) Springsteen gave Schrader a new song entitled 'Light of Day'. Something like that.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Another case of Michael Fox being miscast when he was trying to be an 'adult' actor.

What would you say are the other examples? I, for one, loathed Bright Lights, Big City for this particular reason, and I'm wondering if that's what you are refering to as well. Perhaps Casualties of War as well?
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saturnchick:
Perhaps Casualties of War as well?

I love the movie Casualties of War....first saw it in the theaters when it just came out. I do agree though that Fox was not the best choice for the character he portrayed.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What would you say are the other examples? I, for one, loathed Bright Lights, Big City for this particular reason, and I'm wondering if that's what you are refering to as well. Perhaps Casualties of War as well?
Both. Though I was thinking of 'Bright Lights'. Actually, I really like it, but that has more to do with nostalgia and the timing of when I watched it than the quality of the film itself. Fox was definitely miscast.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esmagnus
Master Rewinder
Member # 8099

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for esmagnus   Author's Homepage   Email esmagnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is if I want to see it, how can I? I don't see it available on Netflix
Posts: 171 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esmagnus
Master Rewinder
Member # 8099

Rate Member
The other question is do I want to spend $14 on a movie I might not like? haha
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
quote:
Both. Though I was thinking of 'Bright Lights'. Actually, I really like it, but that has more to do with nostalgia and the timing of when I watched it than the quality of the film itself. Fox was definitely miscast.
Yes, I figured that you were refering to Bright Lights. He was definitely miscast in that role. I never actually sat through Casualties of War but I remember there being a fuss over the rape scene that is depicted in the movie.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Light of Day (1987) is another music film i watched while the site was down.
And yes, i also liked this one. I found Light of Day a touching family drama/rockmovie.
Joan Jett was surprisingly good and i also liked the rest of the cast which includes Michael J. Fox, Michael McKean, Gena Rowlands, Jason Miller and Thomas G. Waites.

I think that the story was believable and gritty enough. You can´t find much glamour here. Needles to say that the soundtrack rocks.
You can hear stuff from Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ian Hunter and Mötley Crue among others. They also visit Fabulous Thunderbirds concert.
Now release this fine film, written and directed by legendary Paul Schrader, on blu-ray asap!

Barbusters band + their roadie posing
 -

[ 01. May 2015, 05:10: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just recently watched "Light of Day" for the first time ever. Excellent film; great story, and good '80's hard rock soundtrack.

I'm not a huge MJF fan, but Joan Jett & Gena Rowlands (as well as many of the supporting actors) were fantastic. JJ seemed like she wasn't even acting but was basically playing herself, which was perfect because her persona really fit the role.

Great rock & roll songs, especially the original?! songs like "Light of Day", which opened & closed the film.

The scene towards the end - when Patty (JJ) spoke to her mother (Rowlands) at the hospital - was quite poignant.

It would be great see this with better picture quality/sound on DVD/Blu some day, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. IMHO, one of the reasons (if not the only reason) this hasn't hit modern home video is because of the licensing rights involving the music in the film. There are a plethora of artists featured here re: many of the cover songs played by JJ's band, as well as The Fabulous Thunderbirds sequence, etc.

[ 31. October 2016, 05:24: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home