iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Hitting It Big as an Actor in the '80s - Totally Awesome Blessing or Gnarly Curse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitting It Big as an Actor in the '80s - Totally Awesome Blessing or Gnarly Curse?
ashleys
Rewind Curious
Member # 8027

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ashleys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which actors wish they were stuck in the '80s... and which ones never made it out.

http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/2009/06/top-ten-1980s-actors.php

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It hasn't seemed to hurt Tom Cruise, Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage, Johnny Depp, Bruce Willis, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Demi Moore, Kurt Russell, Tom Hanks, Richard Gere, Alec Baldwin, Daniel Day Lewis, Keanu Reeves, Liam Neeson, Kevin Costner, Kevin Bacon, Glenn Close, Forrest Whitaker, Robin Williams or Michael Keaton either. A few of them have seen their careers wane in recent years, but were all at least hot through the 90's.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashleys
Rewind Curious
Member # 8027

Rate Member
absolutely -- you make a totally valid point. the post, however, was more to illustrate the curse aspect... about those guys (specifically guys) who were 80s megastars and then their movie careers just kind of just pooped out as soon as the calendar hit 1990. a couple others that might go on that list are the two Coreys and Judge Reinhold...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashleys,

Welcome to The Rewind!

I think everyone listed in your link (blog) are all still viable (except John Candy R.I.P) for a number of reasons. They are all still household names, most of them are still working, some of them are doing very well, the 80s movie genre is more popular now than it was ten years ago, many "80s children" are now in their late 30s or early 40s and we are a big fan base.

I do wonder what happened to some of the 80s actors you don't see anymore. IMO it's better to have been a 80s movie actor and to have made it rather than to have never made it at all.

Totally Awesome Blessing!!! [Big Grin]

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Words.... Michael Dudikoff! Sure he has made movies since the 80's. But his star expired when Cannon films shut down!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashleys
Rewind Curious
Member # 8027

Rate Member
wow... now that is a name i have not heard in a *very* long time!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week, my husband and I were both wondering what the heck happened to Michael Keaton? He was a big star in the 80's up through the mid-90's, then he seemed to disappear. Did he drop down to doing B-level movies? I never really cared for him as an actor or otherwise (he was a big time drug user), but I just wonder why his star seemed to fall so suddenly.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years back he successfully voiced the villainous Chick Hicks in Cars. Agreed, though that it is rather surprisingly how much he's otherwise gone under the radar. Perhaps the problem is he did so well as Batman that the studios could no longer see him as anything else, and thus was stuck with similar roles for years. Taking ultra-flops like the horrid Jack Frost didn't help either. But like any other actor out there, it only takes one good film to get everything moving again.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, watching Jack Frost every year has become a tradition for me [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Michael Keaton fan here, he was working steadily until the late 90s, one of a few actors to have played the same role in two different movies (Ray Nicolette in Jackie Brown & Out Of Sight). Seems like he's gone into semi-retirement, only making films every now and then.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Keaton was the original choice to play Jack on Lost, but apparently he stipulated that he'd only do it if the producers agreed to kill him off at the end of the pilot. They decided that they wanted Jack as the main character, so Keaton was nixed. I think he's semi-retired and only does things here and there now.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that he returns to PA regularly pitt to watch the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates play. He was born in Coraopolis, PA and lived in Robinson Township Allegheny County, PA. How far away are you from those?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live on the other side of Pittsburgh. Those towns are kinda southwest of the 'Burgh. Coraopolis is where the old airport was, before they built the huge newer international airport, and also is home of Robert Morris College (they are known for their basketball program). Robinson is not far from the airport too. It is another fast growing bedroom community.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like he's still working:

# Toy Story 3 (2010) (filming) (rumored) .... Ken
# Noah's Ark: The New Beginning (2009) (post-production) (voice) .... Noah
# Post Grad (2009) (completed) .... Walter Malby

My favororites from Keaton:

Gung Ho (1986)
Johnny Dangerously (1984)
Mr. Mom (1983)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home