iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 18 AGAIN, LIKE FATHER LIKE SON, VICE VERSA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 18 AGAIN, LIKE FATHER LIKE SON, VICE VERSA
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know..maybe 17 AGAIN coming out with Zac Effron (and me rolling my eyes, and groaning "THAT old chestnut?" at them re-hashing this tired ole' plot yet AGAIN ) got me to thinking about the '80s "switch movies". I dont think I saw ANY of them shockingly!

The ones I recall are

18 AGAIN (George Burns and I think Charlie Shlater)

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON (Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron)

VICE VERSA ( Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage)

Were these any good?

And di I forget any other ones???

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all of them.
Like Father Like Son and Vice Versa are good flicks.
I haven´t watched 18 Again yet.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VICE VERSA is the best of the lot you listed, IMO.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with 80's Rocked! Vice Versa is the best.......Judge was awesome and Fred Savage.

I own all 3 of these also.

I secretly want to see 17 again because for me that cheezy age switcharoo Freaky Friday movie idea is always delightful haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I preferred 18 Again but they are all good... Wasn't there another one though??? [Confused]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember 18 Again, though I'm sure I saw it. I liked Vice Versa and Like Father, Like Son back in the day, but I tried to watch Vice Versa a few years back and couldn't get into it.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shocked the first time i saw Vice Versa
and they went to the concert and it was a MALICE concert.

Malice is one of my favorite bands.

Oh wait a second, here´s the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GEuRhIntvE

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malice is really a band? haha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some others along the same line:

Freaky Friday (1976)
All of Me (1984)
Something Special (a.k.a. Willy/Milly or I Was a Teenage Boy) (1986)
Big (1988)
Dream a Little Dream (1989)
Heart Condition (1990)
Switch (1991)

By the way, did you know that Vice Versa is actually a remake of an old Peter Ustinov movie from 1948?

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Big' & '18 Again' are the best of the bunch.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all of them, even though some are cheesier than the others.
There's also the Disney movies '14 Going on 30' and 'Young Again'. Two that feature the 'swap' theme but not any kind of aging or time travel are 'Double Switch' - a body swap movie in which the characters literally (Prince and the Pauper style) changed places; and 'Student Exchange' - two kids radically make themselves over and pretend to be exchange students at their own highschool.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I forgot that someone uploaded 14 going on 30 to youtube......I've gotta watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXe_3pJDcR4&feature=channel_page

Stiggs
unregistered

26 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I love body swap movies so much? All the ones listed here are pretty good, and some are great. I even watched the 17 Again movie that came out a few years ago, and I didn't want to die afterwards. So this must be my kinda thing. Definitely a sub-genre that is among the best.
| Site Updates: 26 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of being someone else, re-living your life, seeing how alternate decisions might have affected your life, and time-travel in general are common themes for pretty much all human beings to think about at some time or another. Our lives are finite, narrow and one-directional - these stories are the ultimate 'what if's'.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
So true, Logan and the fact is, that these films truly are wonderful, well made films with a great cast.

I also love 14 Going on 30 and Double Switch.

They released both Student Exchange and Young Again here on VHS but i´ve never seen them.

Here are the Finnish VHS cover sheets for 14 Going on 30 and Double Switch:

-

-

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Student Exchange is my favourite of the lot. You really need to track that one down.
Stiggs
unregistered

21 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14 Going On 30 is pretty good. I like Student Exchange too. I've never seen Double Switch or Young Again. Gonna have to track those down.

Big, 18 Again, Vice Versa, and Like Father Like Son are all excellent flicks too.

| Site Updates: 21 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have definitely seen all these garbagy/good movies. My favourite would have to be 18 again followed by a dismal & pathetic but still highly watchable as a ten year old, Student Exchange (don't even get me started on objectively criticising this movie) but hey. I thought Logan would be too high brow for Student Exchange but again my judgments have proved me wrong (yet again).

BTW, where were you for like a year? Or some time frame semi similar, whatever it was?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have Young Again on VHS somewhere around. Original Disney VHS video. No bull!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
but still highly watchable as a ten year old, Student Exchange (don't even get me started on objectively criticising this movie)
Get started!

quote:
but hey. I thought Logan would be too high brow for Student Exchange but again my judgments have proved me wrong (yet again)
Highbrow? You do know where you are... [Confused]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I just watched vice versa for the first time since it's original release back in 88,i could only remember odd scenes from it such as Reinhold playing the drums in the store and when he goes to meet his sons (as played by Fred Savage) school teacher and he's pulling faces at her and doing some crazy dance moves behind her back.

Forgot what a blast it was,i thought it was really good fun!

[ 13. May 2016, 00:33: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Young Again (1986) which was an entertaining Disney film.

So, wealthy 40 years old Robert Urich wants to be 17 again, meets an angel and turns to Keanu Reeves.
Keanu then travels to his childhood home Georgetown, goes to high school and gets together with Jessica Steen only to see her mother, his old flame Lindsay Wagner.
Of course he has his 40 year old mind and becomes a basketball star and a genius in economy classes.

The high school scenes are fun and Keanu gives a great performance throughout the film.
I also like Jessica Steen very much and remember her from one of my favorite tv shows Homefront.
The soundtrack is pretty cool including tunes from Madonna, Howard Jones and Survivor performed by other artists, Disney style.

Wagner´s husband is dead and she wants to be with Urich/Reeves but only in his 40s form.
The audience cries when Reeves leaves town but don´t worry, the movie has a happy ending. Disney style [Smile]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently watched Vice Versa. I hadn't seen it in years, since I was a young child, so I decided to check it out again. And it's a brilliant movie! Very funny! [Smile]
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home