iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What are your favourite 80s action films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are your favourite 80s action films?
Hokit
Rewind Curious
Member # 7926

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hokit   Email Hokit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again!

What action movies from the 80s do you guys think are the best?

I admit, there's an ulterior motive for this post - I'm curious to see if anyone will nominate titles that I've long forgotten! [Big Grin]

I'll start off with a couple of my faves: The Living Daylights (1987) and Licence to Kill (1989). I gotta say I reckon Timothy Dalton should've replaced Roger Moore and Sean Connery as James Bond in all 007 movies in the 80s! And I do think Licence to Kill is one of the BEST Bond movies ever made. Period!

Sorry for the mini-rant [Wink] Can't wait to see the lists!

Posts: 4 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movies that remain to be my favorite 80's action films are:

Predator
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Mad Max

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Hard is the only 80s action movie. Every other one is "Die Hard, only not as good..."
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "The Terminator" Action or SciFi or both?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Escape from New York
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
First Blood?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Top Gun
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Hard
Terminator
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Lethal Weapon
Beverly Hills Cop
Aliens
Empire Strikes Back

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Is "The Terminator" Action or SciFi or both?

I always kinda seen the first Terminator as horror, the second one as sci-fi and the third one as crap [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the difference between Action and Suspense and Thrillers....are they all the same?? Or different?

My favs...are:

Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Tango and Cash
Commando
Silent Rage
48 Hours
Cobra
Nighthawks
Roadhouse
Wisdom

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few that haven't been mentioned:

The Dead Pool
Raw Deal
Bloodsport

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Nico: Above The Law
Police Story 2
Predator
The Killer
A Better Tomorrow

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Blood (one of my all time favs)
Predator
American Ninja
Any Chuck Norris Movie

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen Predator on video, too. I own as well the novel tie-in, which I ordered through Biblioquest.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, has anybody watched Predator 2? And if so, then what did you think of it?
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to go low budget and somewhat obscure here:

Ninja III: The Domination [Big Grin]

Seriously awesome! The opening ninja sequence is the ultimate ninja action ever.

Wish there was a nice widescreen DVD available.

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuB1978
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7950

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DuB1978   Email DuB1978   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Retreat,No Surrender
48 Hours
The Golden Child
Over the Top
Road House
Uncommon Valor
Red Dawn (probably my favorite action movie)

Posts: 82 | From: Owensboro KY | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Above the Law
Action Jackson
Aliens
American Ninja
Armour of God
A Better Tomorrow
Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Big Trouble in Little China
Bloodsport
Braddock: Missing in Action 3
Cobra
Code of Silence
Commando
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
The Dead Pool
Death Wish 2
Death Wish 3
Die Hard
The Empire Strikes Back
Escape from New York
The Exterminator
Exterminator 2
An Eye for an Eye
Firefox
First Blood
For Your Eyes Only
48 Hrs.
Gotcha!
Heartbreak Ridge
Heat (1986)
The Hunt for Red October
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Invasion U.S.A.
Kickboxer
The Killer (1989)
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
The Living Daylights
Lock Up
Lone Wolf McQuade
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Malone
Midnight Run
Missing in Action
Missing in Action 2: The Beginning
Murphy's Law
Never Say Never Again
Night Hawks
Octopussy
The Package
Police Story
Police Story 2
Predator
Prime Risk
Project A
Project A 2
The Protector (1985)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Raw Deal
Red Dawn
Red Heat
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Return of the Jedi
Road House
The Road Warrior
RoboCop
Runaway
Runaway Train
The Running Man
Running Scared
Savage Streets
Sharky's Machine
Shoot to Kill
Silent Rage
Stakeout
Stick
Sudden Impact
Survival Quest
Tango & Cash
Tank
10 to Midnight
The Terminator
They Live
Tightrope
Uncommon Valor
A View to a Kill
Vigilante
The Young Warriors

[ 11. May 2009, 21:30: Message edited by: journey ]

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what he said... [Big Grin]

Nice list journey...

- j

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely nice list Journey, also liked the ISIS if your into the whole brevity thing. What I didn;t see though was To Live and Die in LA . Another must see from 85 that stars William Petersen before he became Will Grissom. Gritty, unwashed, great beginning & soundtrack, turns you won't see coming, really frantic car chase and Willem Dafoe at his creepiest...and that's pretty creepy. You won't be disappointed.
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shamwow
Rewind Curious
Member # 7989

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shamwow   Email Shamwow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoverswithCassie:
By the way, has anybody watched Predator 2? And if so, then what did you think of it?

It's well worth watching. Stupid, not nearly as good as the original but good fun and way better than AVP stuff.
Posts: 4 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dice Man
Rewind Curious
Member # 8014

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for The Dice Man   Email The Dice Man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Predator 2 is Worth watching for Busey Alone
Posts: 1 | From: NYC | Registered: Jun 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earl Keese:
Definitely nice list Journey, also liked the ISIS if your into the whole brevity thing. What I didn;t see though was To Live and Die in LA . Another must see from 85 that stars William Petersen before he became Will Grissom. Gritty, unwashed, great beginning & soundtrack, turns you won't see coming, really frantic car chase and Willem Dafoe at his creepiest...and that's pretty creepy. You won't be disappointed.

Good call on To Live and Die in L.A. - that definitely should have been on my list. Some others I forgot:

Blind Fury
Streets of Fire
Over the Top
Class of 1984
Maximum Overdrive
Outland
The Thing

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x0x0ilymucho
Master Rewinder
Member # 6772

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for x0x0ilymucho   Author's Homepage   Email x0x0ilymucho       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beverly Hills Cop I
Back to the Future
Terminator

Posts: 102 | From: Hill Valley, 1985 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only picked pure action movies. For example: no Back to the Future, Indy or To Live and Die in L.A.

1 Robocop
2 The Terminator
3 Savage Streets
4 The Road Warrior
5 Commando
6 The Killer
7 Road House
8 Rocky III
9 Legendary Weapons of China
10 Die Hard

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home