iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Last 80's Horror Movie You Watched is (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Last 80's Horror Movie You Watched is
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Satan´s Blade (1984).

"At a mountain resort, a local resident is possessed by the evil spirit of an ancient mountain man, and terrorizes a ski lodge." (IMDb)

This movie has a very low-budget, amateur cast and in the middle of the film the plot just drags.
But at the same time it has that haunting feel and the kills are pretty nasty if you can forgive the cheap sfx.
I also liked that the story has a decent ending.
The film was shot in 1980 so you can´t find any mid 80s flavour here.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
 -

The Power (1984)

Fun little horror flick by Stephen Carpenter and Jeffrey Obrow who also did The Dorm That Dripped Blood in '82
and went on to do The Kindred in '87 (which is still unavailable on dvd to this day).

Oddly constructed story, since it doesn't really have a lead

character. After a 15 minute prologue we meet
three teenagers and several reporters, and eventually the story seems to focus most on two of the reporters,
but when a little demonic possession is thrown into the mix, the movie shifts gears towards a nasty finale.

Effects are sparse but effective, the cast does a good job, plus there is that typical late 70s / early 80s feel to it.
The Power also deserves credit for not going the "teen slasher" route, which was most common around that time,
but instead chooses to present itself as a supernatural horror fantasy.

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8hF0kYrlw

The Power is available on dvd from Scorpion Releasing.

The power was a excellent movie as far as I'm concerned I loved this movie so much. The last 80s horror movie I watched was A Nightmare on elm street part 2 I think this one is better then the first one.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underatted sequel Elm Street 2 I think David,very dark compared to the later sequels,Freddy's still pretty creepy here where as in the later entries he loses his fear factor altogether,the continuous funny one liners I think don't help.

Love the Elm Street 2 music score which I believe is done by Christopher Young who also done the music score for The Power.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Alien from the Deep (1989) which was directed by Antonio Margheriti who ripped off every other film back in the 80s.
This time he´s taken ideas from The Abyss, Aliens, Deep Star Six, Leviathan etc.

So, there´s an american factory built on exotic island with a volcano. They dump radioactive waste into the volcano.
Two Greenpeace workers start filming while the volcano becomes active, wakes this monster from outer space and all hell breaks loose.

Sounds fun but what we have here is lousy plot, bad acting, cheap effects and Charles Napier.
I have only one advice: Stay away from this island! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Charles Napier didn't stand a chance against Rambo but does he fare any better against the Alien From The Deep?

Atomik have you ever seen the sci -fi horror Deep Space with Napier from 1988,if so is it any good?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Napier gets infection and dies. Haven´t seen Deep Space.
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The opening dream scene from Nightmare On Elm Street 2 is still one of the series' highlights.

-

[ 29. May 2016, 07:01: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Uninvited (1988).

"A scientific corporation of ill repute (Genetic Laboratories) loses control of its test subject—a poisonous, mutant cat (the Uninvited) that inhabits the body of an ostensibly benign house cat.
At the behest of two attractive co-eds, the Uninvited is ironically offered lodging aboard the luxury yacht of a duplicitous arbitrageur ("Wall Street" Walter Graham),
en route to the Cayman Islands to escape criminal prosecution by the SEC. Ensuing challenges to the Uninvited's viability result in widespread carnage. (Wiki).

Haha, what enjoyable trashfest from Greydon Clark (Joysticks, Wacko etc.)
Starring Walter Graham, George Kennedy, Clu Gulager, Rob Estes, Eric Larson and pretty ladies, Toni Hudson, Clare Carey & Shari Shattuck.

Crazy cat on the loose in a yacht biting people and spreading metabolical steroid (whatever that may be) [Big Grin]
You have to see it to believe it. Uninvited trailer

Cute, cuter, cutest [Smile]
 -  -  -

[ 31. May 2016, 00:51: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That's my neighbours cat,it's evil!

[ 31. May 2016, 09:59: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Can that be Amy's (Amanda Bearse) cat perhaps ?

-

Let's be honest, there are some striking similarities here ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haha Johnny, without a question it must be Amy´s cat [Big Grin] So, Amy is your new neighbour warrior?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

As kids, Todd is institutionalized for a murder whilst his twin goes free. 10 years later, on Thanksgiving, Todd escapes and a killing spree begins in his neighborhood. - from IMDb.

-
Louise Lasser as the twins mother Maddy.

Very enjoyable and extremely gory early 80s horror which was originally made in 1983 but not released in theatres till 87 and under the alternative title of "Nightmare At Shadow Woods" this a fairly well made little slasher which you can tell was probably put together on a shoestring budget and the end results i'd say were very admirable!

The Performances here I thought were generally pretty good though I did think that the twins mother as played by Louise Lasser (Above) could maybe be accused of slightly over acting it a bit though in her defense her role probably did call for this plus that of the asylum security guard who was hunting down one of the twins seemed slightly amateurish though then again in his defense he probably wasn't helped by some of the dialogue that was being used which at times was totally insane!

-
Mark Soper as the murderous twin brother Terry.

The kills off which there are many range from the gruesome (the early drive in murder) to the ridiculous (the lady psychiatrist who has been chopped in half and her upper body is twitching away a few feet from where her legs lay) and the build up of tension which occurs during these many on screen kill scenes i felt was aided no end by the cool and haunting music score that was used throughout!

-
The Pretty Julie Gordon as psycho Terry's girlfriend Karen.

Overall this was a really crazy,fun slasher movie that was absolutely full to the brim with gory kills,nudity and a killer 80s synth soundtrack (I loved the music score to this),so in short it was a blast to watch!

I saw this as a rental but I have read that the limited edition Blu Ray from Arrow Video is first rate and I believe that it actually comes on three separate discs containing 3 different cuts of the movie though I might be wrong!

https://youtu.be/JLPBILe-vmQ - Blood Rage trailer (made in 1983 but released in 1987).

Slasher fans check this one out you won't be disappointed!

[ 11. June 2016, 08:48: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I need to check out Blood Rage!

-

Well, i watched The Kindred (1987)

"Amanda's deathbed request to her son, John, was for him to destroy all the lab notes etc. from her last experiment. She also blurts out he had a brother.
At the funeral John meets Melissa, who claims to be his mothers biggest fan. Together with some of John's friends they go to Amanda's house, but none are prepared for what they find there." (IMDb)

This was pretty typical late 80s horror feature, much like The Nest and few others.
Solid acting, few nasty kills and nicely done creature.
Always good to see Amanda Pays, Rod Steiger plays the evil Dr. Lloyd and David Allen Brooks is our hero John Hollins.

A solid midnight snack for us horror junkies.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Not seen The Kindred in years Atomik but do remember liking it,pretty scarce now on VHS it is one that has been belonging for a DVD or Blu-ray release.

I think Synapse or someone like that had it scheduled sometime back for a future release but it seems to have fallen thru unless it still is on the cards!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Boogey Man (1980)

"A young girl witnesses her brother murder a man through a reflection in a mirror. Twenty years later the mirror is shattered, freeing his evil spirit, which seeks revenge for his death." (IMDb)

Finally watched this early 80s low budget Ulli Lommel hit and i liked it.
At first, i though that this is going to be a straight Halloween rip-off but then came the evil mirror spirit, some exorcist stuff etc.

It´s a little slow moving but has really cool atmosphere and i love the soundtrack.
The theme tune mixes Carpenter sounds, Oldfield´s Tubular Bells and even some Goblin.

Few cool kill scenes in this one, especially the ending rocks!
The lead actress, Lommel´s then wife Suzanna Love did pretty good as Lacey. Not so sure about her brother though [Big Grin]
I recommend this one if you happen to like low-budget early 80s supernatural horror stuff.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always like Suzanna Love and thought that she's had an interesting life. She came from a super-rich family and got involved in Andy Warhol's New York City scene where she met husband Ulli Lommel. She didn't do a lot of films, but she's especially good in Lommel's Brain Waves and The Devnonsville Terror, the latter, as an auburn-tressed Jamie Lee Curtis lookalike. Cool actress.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hair was the only film she was in outside Lommel movies.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Devonsville Terror is a good one. I still have a The Boogey Man / Devonsville Terror double-feature dvd
from Anchor Bay, which was released in the early days of the dvd format. Transfers still hold up reasonably well.

I believe The Devonsville Terror is scheduled for blu-ray release in the UK through the 88Films label,
along with Ulli Lommel's Olivia a.k.a. Prozzie (1983), which also stars Suzanna Love.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it about The Devonsville Terror? A lot of people, including me, like it, despite the fact that it has cheesy, stupid special effects, lots of talk, and some good actors and acting mixed in with some over-the-top lipsmacking performances. It shouldn't be good at all, but it is. Maybe it's because it's inherently interesting or that Lommel moves things along nicely. Suzanna Love--mimicking the look of Jamie Lee Curtis--is a big plus too. She's attractive and watchable, a good actress. Donald Pleasance was always welcome in any horror film of the period, and the thing is nicely shot on a tiny budget. And there's some decent gore and nudity. Maybe that's why it works after all...
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The House Where Evil Dwells (1982).

"In 1840, a samurai comes home to find his wife in bed with another man, so he kills them both and then himself.
Flash-forward to the present day, and an American family of three moves into this since-abandoned house and starts to experience incidents of haunting and possession." (IMDb)

Oh boy, this "horror" film has so many unintentionally funny scenes you just can´t take it seriously.
The acting is mostly sub par but like Crash said on another thread, Susan George is a sight for sore eyes.
Doug McClure is so wooden i can´t help but laugh everytime i see him [Smile]

The ghosts are pretty well done though and i liked the settings.
The giant crab scene rivals the spider scene from The Beyond but it was effective enough for me because i hated those creepy crawlers [Big Grin]

The ending was very anticlimatic because that was the most obvious choice to end the film.
Can´t really recommend this one but i have to say that it´s a must see for all Susan George fans.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates the charms of Ms. George. I think of all her roles, this one is the most eye candy. She really looks great undraped, overbite and all. A very attractive presence in the 70s and 80s. [Smile]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Just ordered this US scream factory double feature as I've always liked Ghost Warrior aka Swordkill and I'll just treat House as a bonus feature and at least get a chance to check it out and not get to upset if I think it sucks!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
YW, you won't mind House. It's downright silly in spots, but it looks good, and at least it's different: a Japanese-American horror film from the 80s.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Crash I have watched it years back but all I remember is the crazy scene with the crabs which is something that once seen is not quickly forgotten!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Checked out The House Where Evil Dwells and while I did find plenty of faults with it I still found it to be pretty entertaining overall and i also thought it was beautifully shot!

Certainly nowhere near as bad as I remembered it and pleased I revisited!

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home