iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Boy Who Could Fly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Boy Who Could Fly
80sfilmbuff
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80sfilmbuff   Email 80sfilmbuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this and I remember loving it as a child and it is just as great as it was back then. Anybody else love this movie? I remember my family had the VHS and we watched it so much it had horrible tracking.
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

You can probably research the thread, but It's a good movie, but has limited replay value, in my opinion.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringbackboywhocouldfly
Rewind Curious
Member # 9559

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bringbackboywhocouldfly   Email bringbackboywhocouldfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've joined Fast Rewind just to post this special message.

Theres a facebook page out there for people to join and gather enough fan support to "Bring Back The Boy Who Could Fly".

For more details please check out the youtube video here and please spread the word - we need all the help we can get [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40-x3zJlzk

Hope to hear from you....

Regards,

James [Cool]

Posts: 1 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a fantastic movie. I have loved it ever since it came out. Another 80's flick I saw at the cinema.

Anyone who has not seen it, really needs to.

If you wanna see a different side of bug from Uncle Buck you need to check it out too. I thought Jay Underwood was great in the TBWCF.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I liked it. I remember NOT wanting to see it but wound up liking it. I haven't seen it since 1980-whatever though.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't watched this one in quite awhile. I remember enough about it that it was a pretty dramatic story for a Disney film. And this was Fred Savage's first feature film if i'm not mistaken.

This movie is OK. Not really one I can say stays with me over a long period of time though.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also worth mentioning, is a great performance by Fred Gwynne as Uncle Hugo. I have a soft spot for this movie for some reason.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I remember enough about it that it was a pretty dramatic story for a Disney film.
Not a Disney film.

Written / Directed by Nick 'The Shape' Castle, right after 'Last Starfighter'.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The one thing I can remember about the day I saw this was when I was 5. My brother and I were being looked after by the baby sitter and her family. I remember finding heaps of change in my jacket pockets for some reason. I was pretty happy about the whole situation because I had no idea where the mystery money came from. I still don't know.

Slightly off topic but when I was about 7 I remember making out with that baby sitters daughter who must have been about 12 at the time, while watching some 80's movie called Hypersapien. I don't think I have seen the movie since and I am sure it was probably pretty bad, but I remember it for good reasons.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
quote:
I remember enough about it that it was a pretty dramatic story for a Disney film.
Not a Disney film.

Written / Directed by Nick 'The Shape' Castle, right after 'Last Starfighter'.

Oh, I coulda sworn it was a Disney film...guess I was mistaken.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucas Locusts
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5826

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lucas Locusts   Email Lucas Locusts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually watched this film for the first time this morning after seeing what people had said about it on here.

Like most films of that era, it had me captivated all the way through which cannot be said of films in our current era.

Thanks Fast Rewind for helping me discover this gem that i missed all those years ago!

Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
It's good to finally get someone who truly appreciates this movie. It is a gem. It's a magical feel good movie with great performances.
Lucas Locusts
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5826

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lucas Locusts   Email Lucas Locusts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
It's good to finally get someone who truly appreciates this movie. It is a gem. It's a magical feel good movie with great performances.

Couldn't agree more with you on this, i think the soundtrack really added to the whole mood of the film.
I will certainly be adding this film to my 80's collection.

Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
This movie is actually the second movie that I remember seeing at the cinema...the first being Teen Wolf. It's a must for the 80's collection. I think it's about time I watched it. I can still remember what the VHS cover looked like remarkably well.

This is not my pic but remember seeing it like this at the video stores:

-

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched The Boy Who Could Fly.
I liked it a lot, touching story from Nick "Escape from New York" Castle.

The cast was very good.
Lucy Deakins and Jay Underwood were simply awesome.
It was nice to see Fred Savage as a G.I. Joe fanboy in his first movie role.
Funny to see also Jason Priestley in his first role as one of the neighborhood "gangster".

And yeah, The Coupe de Villes (Carpenter, Castle, Wallace) also appeared [Cool]
I don´t know why Louise Fletcher´s role was uncredited though.

Bruce Broughton´s score was very good
and i also liked the end credits tune "WALKIN' ON AIR" by Stephen Bishop.

See Fred Savage playing The Last Starfighter video game,
wonderful old school fx (i love the scene when they fly above the town) and cool ´86 fashion.

Highly recommended!

The Boy Who Could Fly teaser trailer

Here´s the Finnish VHS cover art:

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Atomik!!

I really have always loved this one.......I watched it this year again and it's still great in my opinion also.....such heart awwwww

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i have seen this movie only once and it was forever ago. i'm gonna watch it soon, i think my daughter would like it. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'll definitely have to hunt this one down again for another watch. But I will have to have a box of tissue nearby when I do though. As I remember enough about it that the story does kind of hit pretty close to home for me.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why, but I really love the original poster for the movie:

-

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home