iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top 10 Brian De Palma movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 10 Brian De Palma movies
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian De Palma is one of the great Hollywood directors, he's much better than Steven Spielberg IMO but isn't nearly as well known. He's the man who wrote the Star Wars introduction for George Lucas, discovered Robert DeNiro and created an iconic series of scenes & characters in movies that are now considered modern classics.

"I've never been accepted as that conventional artist. Whatever you say about David Lynch or Martin Scorsese, they are considered major film artists and nobody can argue with that. I've never had that. I've had people say it about me. And I've had people say that I'm a complete hack and you know, derivative and all those catchphrases that people use for me. So I've always been controversial. People hate me or love me."

Top 10 Brian De Palma movies

1. Redacted
2. Scarface
3. Carlito's Way
4. The Untouchables
5. Blow Out
6. Dressed To Kill
7. The Black Dahlia
8. Mission: Impossible
9. Femme Fatale
10.Greetings / Hi Mom!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine would be:

1. Carlito's Way
2. Carrie
3. Scarface
4. Raising Cain
5. The Untouchables
6. Casualties Of War
7. Blow Out
8. The Fury
9. Wise Guys
10. Mission: Impossible

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
De Palma rocks!

1. Scarface (1983)  -

2. Body Double (1984)  -

3. Blow Out (1981)  -

4. The Untouchables (1987)  -

5. Raising Cain (1992)  -

6. Carrie (1976)

7. Femme Fatale (2002)

8. Carlito´s Way (1993)

9. Dressed to Kill (1980)

10. Casualties of War (1989)

Haven´t seen The Black Dahlia yet.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philblankenship
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7563

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for philblankenship   Author's Homepage   Email philblankenship   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It blows my mind that no one has SISTERS (1973) or PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE (1974), by far my favorite two De Palma films!
Posts: 30 | From: hollywood | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both are good movies. Maybe 11. and 12. [Cool]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a huge De Palma fan..so damn near every film is good in one way or another to me...but here's my rough top 10:

1. Body Double
2. Carrie
3. Carlito's Way
4. Dressed to Kill
5. Scarface
6. Obsession
7. Casualties of War
8. Phantom of the Paradise
9. Blow Out
10. Raising Cain

...as much as I like The Untouchables..it just barely misses my top 10 and comes in in a not so distant 11.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many masterpieces... Here goes...

1. Blow Out
2. Carrie
3. Carlito's Way
4. Obsession
5. Scarface
6. The Untouchables
7. Dressed to Kill
8. Phantom of the Paradise
9. Casualties of War
10. Sisters
11. Home Movies (since it gets no love)

Body Double, The Fury, Hi Mom, Greetings, Wise Guys, Mission: Impossible, Femme Fatale, Murder a la Mod, and Snake Eyes are all fine and are 12 through 20! A Wedding is OK as a student film.

There are a few, very few, that I'm not wild about--Mission to Mars, Bonfire of the Vanities, Raising Cain (DePalma ripping off himself and Argento), The Black Dahlia, and Get to Know Your Rabbit. I haven't seen Redacted, and no one has seen Dionysus in '69, so I think that I have covered them all. Except maybe his U.S. Treasury commercials. [Wink] (Can you tell that I have been a fan for a long time?) Kash, the late great critic Pauline Kael in her review of The Fury in the New Yorker said that DePalma was a better drector than Orson Welles and Steven Spielberg. She really loved him too.

[ 01. February 2011, 17:57: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may toggle the list of my fav De Palma films from time to time....But my Top 3 are pretty much cemented in those spots for all time. Those Top 3 Being:

1. Body Double
2. Carrie
3. Carlito's Way

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Body Double
2 Blow Out
3 Carrie
4 The Fury
5 Sisters
6 Dressed To Kill
7 Carlito's Way
8 The Untouchables
9 Scarface
10 Obsession

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tried to give Bonfire of the Vanities another go after years and lasted 25 minutes. Wow, what an irritating film [Mad]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tone is just so wrong. Heck, everything from the casting to the performances is all wrong.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home