iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Date with an Angel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Date with an Angel
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Date with an Angel" is a romantic comedy fantasy, a cute angel falls into the swimming pool of one soon to be married Jim Sanders. Hung over from his bachelor party, his encounter with the angel has Jim questioning his upcoming marriage to Patty, the daughter of a wealthy cosmetics mogul. After Jim helps the injured celestial being, Jim must protect her from his money scheming friends as well as his overly curious fiance.

-

Fun movie, but as a fan of Phoebe Cates it was hard to watch her as such an annoying character. Not for everyone, but a good watch if you enjoy these kind of movies.

-

Emmanuelle Béart's beauty and performance are the highlights of this flick, even though she does not speak until the final five minutes.

Anyone?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never get throught he screeching sound the angel made...that's all I can even remember about it.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only a small handful of 80's romantic comedies that I can say I honestly enjoy, and this is one of them. This is sadly an easily forgettable film for most people. And I'm willing to bet there are many who've never seen it at all. I personally loved this movie as a lad, and still do to this day. To put it simply, it's pure and genuine 80's fun. I'll even go as far as to say that it's an essential 80's movie for me. Though Phoebe Cate's character was an annoying and snobby twit in this film, I still found her performance to be rather hilarious. Probably the funniest in the movie. My only real gripe about the movie is, as mentioned above, the voice of the angel. It can easily get under one's skin and make your nerves stand on end. But I suppose stereo-typically that's how angels would sound to us. But this is the only flaw I see in the movie. And it's a very minor flaw that can be overlooked. Other than that, this is a very enjoyable movie with a genuinely warm 80's heart to it and a pretty sweet 80's Soundtrack to boot. Great to watch over and over again and highly recommended if you've never seen it.

[ 21. November 2016, 14:53: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post, Pyro. I love this one too. That is for sure.

I wonder if anyone in history has watched it and not been annoyed by the Angel's sounds?

Badass Tune Alert: Steve Winwood - The Finer Things (at aprox. 1:11:12)

Random screenshot:
 -

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen it-looks good. Totally remember Tad Martin from One Life to Live [Smile]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haven't seen this one in a long time, but i too was always annoyed by the angel. i remember feeling bad for phoebe cates's character because she basically gets dumped (even though she was a brat). i think i felt bad because it was phoebe cates...i've always liked her in movies.
i thought the angel was beautiful but still didn't care for her haha.

i remember one of the dudes in the picture above, eating a pickle between 2 pieces of bread somewhere in the movie. and i remember the scene where the angel tastes french fries and goes bananas for them.

i'd like to see it again, i'll have to add it to my wishlist at some point. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DangerousThunder
Rewind Curious
Member # 9016

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DangerousThunder   Email DangerousThunder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun fact about this movie -- The writer/director is also responsible for the Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives.
Posts: 8 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jul 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousThunder:
Fun fact about this movie -- The writer/director is also responsible for the Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives.

I didn't know that..that's a nice little fun fact [Smile]
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the dvd sometime ago and just watched and loved the movie.
I can´t believe that i missed this in the 80s!

Great movie, so funny, touching and magical.
And i didn´t have any problems with that angel "voice".

The writer and director Tom McLoughlin was fantastic in the 80s.
He did three movies (One Dark Night, Friday VI, and this one) all good/great.
After the 80s ,he´s made mainly tv-movies, don´t know why.

The cast is huge.
Michael E. Knight was solid in the main role and Beart was breathtakingly beautiful.
Very funny role from Phoebe Cates and David Dukes was great as her daddy.

I loved Knight´s "friends" Phillip Brock, Albert Macklin and Peter Kowanko.
Especially Brock (Tex, River´s Edge) was hilarious!

I also liked the special effects. Looked very cool.
And i want one those huge Phoebe Cates posters asap [Smile]

Highly recommended!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like this is an underrated flick. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Atomik [Cool]

It has a tremendous soundtrack as well. Amazing bits are bolded for annoyingness.

01. Men Without Hats - Intro
02. Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
04. The Cars - You Are The Girl
05. Men Without Hats - Pop Goes The World
07. Francis Lai - Theme From Love Story
08. The Icicle Works - Understanding Jane
09. Steve Winwood - The Finer Things
10. Rosie & The Originals - Angel Baby
11. Russell Hitchc0ck - I Come Alive (Date With An Angel)
12. Russell Hitchc0ck - Someone Who Believes In You

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of it. It must have bypassed the UK. It's a bit 'Splash' by the sounds of it. That is quite an impressive soundtrack though [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never knew it had such a good soundtrack! Wow.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earth Angel:
I've never heard of it. It must have bypassed the UK. It's a bit 'Splash' by the sounds of it. That is quite an impressive soundtrack though [Smile]

It didn't bypass the UK, it came out here like everywhere else. Not quite as 'classic' as Splash (and not as funny) but not bad.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro, watched this one last night. My daughter loves it and I agree...the music is terrific.

"You are the girrrrrl" [Big Grin]

http://youtu.be/I_4K0p6bzAQ

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Glad you enjoyed the rewatch Ronnie..And a nice bonus that your daughter enjoyed as well [Cool]
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have watched Date with an Angel.

Going by all the comments, it looks to be a humorous, emotive film.

I would like to give it another viewing sometime.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
After yet another re-watch the other night this movie still holds up quite nicely for me. Definitely one that hits right on the nostalgia bone. And If the movie itself doesn't do that for you, than the soundtrack certainly will with all it's great 80's gems (listed in a previous post above). Still highly recommended.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home