iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Friday the 13th Movie Night (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friday the 13th Movie Night
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I watched Friday the 13th part 2 last night. I have never understood this...

How come Mrs. Voorhees thought Jason drown? If he really didn't?

The beginning of Friday the 13th (the original) starts in 1958- in a flash back scene- where the 2 counselors are killed at the beginning. Then they shut the camp down, then the Christies reopen it, and that's when the movie starts- but that is in 1980- which is 22 years later.

The Jason that pops up and grabs Adrienne King at the end of part 1, is he suppose to be like the ghost of the little boy who died in 1958? I never quite understood that...or if your really not suppose to think about it too deeply, because the more sequels they made- he was immortal.

But, in the first one-it's the mother who's the real killer, so that felt realistic, and then in part 2- Jason is the killer- but I always thought he was real- and had survived, and just lived in the woods all that time. That made it scary to me, that someone was living in the woods waiting to kill people.

When they get in to him being immortal in the other movies...then that takes the scariness out of it, and makes it dumb...that's why I never liked the sequels.

I've had this same argument with rabid Friday fans a few times. My question is, if Jason didn't really drown, then where did he go? He popped up on the shore and just decided - with his mentally challenged little boy brain - to abscond off into the woods and live by himself? Why wouldn't he just go back to his mom? I think it's the biggest plot hole in the whole series, even more so than having him bounce between mortal, half mortal and complete immortal over the course of various sequels (which, you're absolutely right, destroys any credibility the series had left).

Here's the only valid explanation I can come up with (and it's a stretch):

Jason nearly drown as a child, but did survive. Mrs. Voorhees hides him away in a cabin she owns in the woods, far away from society because of her paranoid belief that they will hurt him. She lets everyone just think that he died and goes on with her job. But she still blames the teenage counselors for leaving him unattended and - ostensibly - for torturing and ridiculing him for being deformed and retarded. So she gets revenge a year later by murdering the two teens in the flashback scene. And she commits a series of vandalisms (starting the fires and contaminating the water supply) in an effort to prevent the camp from reopening, and attracting more people that might hurt her son. Things quiet down after that and she is able to raise Jason in the woods without the threatening presence of any interlopers, but as the years go by she grows increasingly more paranoid and psychotic. Then, Steve Christy comes along and decides to reopen his parent's old summer camp. He is undetered by the acts of vandalism, the eerie bad luck, and the omnious warnings of the townspeople. Mrs. Voorhees can't scare him off as easily as she did his parents, so she infiltrates the camp, taking a job there instead. Seeing firsthand all the capricious teenagers with their drugs, their fornicating, their callousness, etc. is more than she can take and she has a complete psychotic break. She goes on a rampage as evidenced by the events of Part 1. When she reveals to Alice about her son that "drown" because of the negligent counselors, she is speaking from the point of view of a mentally ill person who is having trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. And when she is decapitated by Alice at the end of the first film, we are to believe that Jason, now fully grown, is hiding in the woods watching this. Up to this point he's been living as a relatively non-violent deformed recluse, but seeing his mother - the only person he's had human contact with for over 20 years and the only person he loves and trusts - get killed (by another teenager no less), sets him off on his own murderous rampage.

As for the kid that pops out of the lake and pulls her out of the boat at the end, it is meant to be the "ghost" of the drown little boy as imagined by Alice in her nightmares.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now i love the friday 13th films but one thing i have thought about over the years is what does Jason do when there is no one around to kill?
Does he have a nice little cabin in the woods that he lives in keeping himself to himself,you know comuning with nature etc.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be mike? i wonder if he has a garden where he plants veggies? lol [Wink] [Big Grin] [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journey-That is exactly what I have made up to be what I think happened with Jason.

Because in Part 2-Amy Steel (Ginny) is talking about how Jason must have seen the whole thing happen....he absolutely had to- because he went and gathered up her head, and put it in his cabin as a table centerpiece. Didn't the police ever wonder where her head went to?

I guess you can't totally put alot of thought in to it, but the storyline is very cool, up until it becomes an impossible thing to have happened.

They did that with Halloween too. The first one is really good, because he gets up and is gone after everything they went through to kill him, so that is really scary...but after they burn him up in Part 2...that should have been the end. I liked John Carpenter's whole original idea...of what he wanted the Halloween movies to be, and that's where he got part 3- he wanted to make a horror movie that took place at Halloween- but were totally unrelated to each other. I think they could do that all the time. There's so much cool stuff you can do to scare people at Halloween anyway...that it would be easy to make
story lines up.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meen even a serial killer needs some time for a bit of R+R.
Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was an impossible thing to happen after about the first 10 bodies. Rocket scientists don't write these types of movies that's obvious. Just enjoy them for what they are......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing like "Friday the 13th: Part 2" for the second Friday the 13th in two months!

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you watching it tonight?

My son said we should have bought Friday the 13th part 1 on Blu-Ray when it was almost 60% off on Amazon. I actually wish I would have done that.

I think Friday the 13th part 3-would be cool on Blu-Ray with the 3D stuff- does anyone know if it's out yet?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 2 is out on Blu-ray but I'm thinking part 3 comes out in July?. I was browsing Best Buy the other day and noticed they had released Friday 13th Part 3 on regular dvd in 3-d though. The package I saw had the 3-d glasses with it......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yes, I have seen that version.

I want to get:

Friday the 13th-His name was Jason. I think that will be my next purchase.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's back!

As stated above: Friday the 13th: Part 2 is my fav of the bunch.

Which is your fav?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 and 5 are my faves [Smile]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Part 2 is my Part 1 ... I appreciate the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, but part 2 is where Jason became the infamous killer. Plus, I really like the role Amy Steel played as the heroine!

Why Part 5?

I think my second fav is Part 4 with Kimberly Beck and Corey Feldman..

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 2 was my favourite. That's what I'll be watching tonight.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I think I documented this whole thing along time ago.

Part 4 is my favorite
then part 7
part 6
part 1
Freddy vs Jason
Jason X
part 2
part 3
part 5
part 8
part 9

I couldn't figure where the new one would go, I oddly really liked that one. I think it's because he was "Real" all over again. Not brought back for the 70th time.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home