iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Idolmaker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Idolmaker
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a movie that I LOVE, here are my 2 favorite scenes from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_g9NHDzjF8

and

this is probably one of my favorite scenes in any movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VWc-6v7Zw8&feature=related

I think Paul Land is gorgeous, and I love that song.

The songs Peter Gallagher does are awesome too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEOL0Jx_Io&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkU6ekp4SzM&feature=related

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time I ever even heard of this one.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A really recommended movie, loosely based on the quick rise and fall of 50's teen star Fabian.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks very interesting.
I have to keep my eyes open for this one.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to see this on HBO all of the time in the 80s. Ray Sharkey (R.I.P), Peter Gallagher and Joe (joey Pants) Pantaliano... Good movie...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When people mention hidden gems, this one definitely should be on the list. Probably Ray Sharkey's best movie and if I remember correctly he won a Golden Globe for it. Paul Land is great, though he will always be Stu from the movie "Spring Break" in my mind.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
When people mention hidden gems, this one definitely should be on the list. Probably Ray Sharkey's best movie and if I remember correctly he won a Golden Globe for it. Paul Land is great, though he will always be Stu from the movie "Spring Break" in my mind.

Ahhh Spring Break... Two words... Corinne Alphen [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember how Shirley Feeney had such a crush on Fabian? He sang "Turn Me Loose".

I watched Paul Land in Spring Break, he didn't do it for me so much in that movie, he almost seemed kind of feminine in it.

Atomik-I can't believe I got one up on you.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Here's the Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOb5C9jJdI&feature=related

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I gotta say is....

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I watched "The Idolmaker" this morning and it is still a great movie. Another awesome role by Guido the Killer Pimp.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally watched The Idolmaker last night and it was fantastic!

"Based on the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered, among others, Frankie Avalon and Fabian."

So, already in the 50s they "made" stars by picking up people basically from the streets.
It´s all in the face! The rest i will teach you [Smile]
Great cast: Ray Sharkey, Peter Gallagher, Paul Land, Tovah Feldshuh, Joe Pantoliano etc.
Lots of awesome tunes composed by Jeff Barry and most of the actors did their own singing.

Highly recommended!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home