iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What was the first movie you ever bought?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What was the first movie you ever bought?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it was 1988, and I joined the Columbia House Video club. The first movie I ever bought was Harry and the Hendersons.

Did anyone else ever make homemade video tapes by taping stuff off HBO or regular TV?

I just went through about a billion tapes that we had saved, that my Aunt use to tape us 3 movies on 1 vhs tape off HBO, and then we would watch them, and then she'd tape over them if we didn't like them.

It seems like nobody does that any more, but to me that was the cool thing about VHS tapes, is being able to record anything you want to watch.

How come people don't think that was more of a positive thing to be able to do, than buying DVDs?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VHS tapes are bring phased out with the advent of the recordable DVD player and DVR with a lot better clarity and lasting time. The first VHS movie I bought was Back To The Future. I remember buying movies on VHS was pretty expensive in the beginning........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first movie I ever bought...I don't have a foggy clue? I used to tape tons of stuff off TV...movies, TV shows, music videos, etc. Now it seems everything is available on DVD. I'm a collector, so I like to have the nice shiny pictures and cases so I can display them in neatly organized rows...things have to be just so. I hate when movies I want to buy come in them cheap carboard cases....I usually print a new cover and put it in a regular DVD case....so...not much recording for me...I want the real deal....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the first movie I bought. I used to tape tons of movies from tv. I still burn alot of movies to dvd now rather than buy them. Saves me a ton of money.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap. What a question. I'm not sure, but I know one of the first I ever owned was, Mr Nanny and Suburban Commando double bill on VHS.. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to remember but it might be Chuck Norris flick The Octagon.
I remember that we had the original tape in the mid 80s when we got our first VCR.

Like Motley said, original tapes were really expensive back in the day
so there was no chance to buy every movie you wanted.

We taped movies all the time.
We rented flicks and taped all of them with two VCR´s.
And of course the tv stuff: Movies, music, tv shows...

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first movie I ever bought for myself was "Escape From New York" and I must have watched that movie a hundred times since.

I am ashamed to say the first DVD i bought was GOdzilla (please don't hate me)

Call me noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought three vhs tapes from a video store that was going under, Fist of Fury with Bruce Lee, a movie called Ninja Terminator and the Bond flick, Goldfinger... probably around 87, 88.
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family was one of the dozen or so people in the world that bought...a Beta machine. When we eventually bought a VHS player, we used to tape anything and everthing we rented, using the two machines. I specifically remember that we had La Bamba and Dirty Dancing on one tape...man oh man...we watched them movies a lot...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem always was how to fit two movies on one three hour tape.

Of course there were 4 hour tapes too but those were more expensive.
Later came long play VCR´s but i thought that the quality was weaker.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betamax: Star Wars, Star Wars Holiday Special, Making of Star Wars, Silver Streak, Mad Max

VHS: Lethal Weapon, Die Hard

DVD: Meet Joe Black

Blu-Ray: Dark Knight

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VHS - Transformers the Movie
DVD - Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke
Blueray - aint moved onto these yet [Smile]

Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weirdly enough, the first dvd I bought was also Bruce's Fist of Fury.... strange. And the first Bond movie I bought on dvd was indeed Goldfinger... hmmm... I just realized this!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rad.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to tape tons of stuff off TV, I unfortunately have very few left aside from a bunch of 30's and 40's horror movies. VHS tapes were expensive back then, so I didn't have many until later on, but I'm pretty sure the first VHS I bought was Goonies and Jaws.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home