iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » How do you choose movies to watch?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you choose movies to watch?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a ton of movies to watch that I haven't gotten around to yet, and they seem like they will be good ones, they were given to me by different people...lots of 80s stuff, but I can't explain it...I have to "click" with the title, or who's in it, or the story line...and even if people tell me it's a good movie-and to watch it, I have to be in the right mood to watch a movie I have never seen before.

But...then I can look at the cover art on a movie -that even someone might have posted on here, and I'll think-I have to get that movie. And, I'll watch something that way, easy.

I wondered how other people decided on what to watch, and when to watch it?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm somewhat the same way in the fact that I have to be in the right mood to watch it.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's horror, chances are I'll watch it. I don't go by reviews or critics or Oscar Nominations or anything like that. If it sounds good to me I check it out. If a friend recommends a movie chances are I'll check it out too.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have real good instinct now concerning 80's movies. In the past I was too selective and passed over a bunch of ones I would love to have now, now if I find it remotely 80's looking I grab it. I do a lot of research too, if I watch a movie and it has some good actresses and actors, I will look them up and find what else they did on IMDB, sort of a six degree of separation thing. This will lead to finding other movies which include other people I know about, so it's a total domino effect and labour of love for me.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more of an actors fan. I'll often see whose in it first and if someone I like is, then I'll most likely give it a go. Every now and then I hear of something good with nobody of note in it, and I'll take a chance, but my movies at home are arranged in terms of what actors are in them ie, Tom Hanks collection, Johnny Depp collection. Except for my amazing horror collection which rarely stars anyone of note, but are all classics..
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all depends on the mood I'm in as far as what genre I will watch at that particular time. As far as buying or renting....reviews mean nothing to me. If I see a preview or read the description and it intrigues me, then I will get it to watch and make my own judgements.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly depends on my mood on what genre of movie I feel up to watching. Some of my absolute favourite movies I haven't watched nearly as much as others I just merely like. Raging Bull is an incredible movie but I can only watch it maybe once a year. Dazed and Confused is one I can watch over and over again but I would never put it in the same class as Raging Bull.

I'm kind of a mixture of a fan of actors and a fan of directors. There's not too many actresses that I'd say I'm a huge fan of though.

Nicholson, Deniro, Spacey and Bogart are a few of the actors I really like.

Scorsese, Kubrick, Wilder, Tarrantino and Hitchc0ck are some of the directors I like. Think I'm going to start exploring more of Capra's work.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the thing with looking for other movies that actors I like were in, that's how I found April Fool's Day- I had never seen it in the 80's, but I loved Deborah Foreman in Valley Girl and I loved Amy Steel in Friday the 13th part 2-so I thought it had to be good.

I also liked Jill Schoelen in The Stepfather, so that made me look up a few other movies she was in, and I ended up loving the movie "Rich Girl", and I love the horror movie " Curse 2-the Bite"- which made me like J.Eddie Peck-but I never saw him in anything else.

I like Betsy Russell in Private School, but I didn't really like her in Tomboy...but I did try some other movies of hers, but Private School is by far the best one she ever did, and then Cheerleader Camp is ok.

I loved Sam Jones in Flash Gordon, so I bought a bunch of his movies- but none of them were that great. Even the combo of him and Deborah Foreman in My Chauffer was horrible to me.

I like Zach Galligan in Gremlins and Waxworks, so that lead me to a couple of his movies...and he's in a made for TV movie with Molly Ringwald which I think is one of the best movies either of them has ever done, it's called "Surviving"- it's about teen suicide- it has River Phoenix and Heather O'Rourke (from Poltergeist) in it. So, it is a sad movie for many reason, but it is really well made, excellent actors in it as the parents.

Riptide-I was the same way too about passing up stuff...now if it from the 80s...I just want to watch it just to even see the fashion and the cars people were driving and the products they use...back in the 80s when they came out ..all that stuff was all over and that's how we were living...who knew it would end.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's very difficult for me to decide. I have so many movies, it's kinda like a "brain overload" when looking at them all. I try to pick a movie that I have, but haven't seen...but often am drawn to my favorites that I've seen a dozen times. With a two year old son, it's sometimes hard to find the time to actually watch a movie...so when I finally get the chance to relax and enjoy one...I want it to be good...therefore drawn to the ones I know are good...the ones I've already seen.

I have to do some more research re buying...I love sifting through the discount bins with some of the oldies, but am always unsure which ones to grab...I can't afford em all, so I have to be choosey. Always finding movies from the 80's that are $3 to $5, which is fun.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a mood thing. Sometimes I feel like watching something familiar and comforting - like Ferris Bueller - but sometimes I feel like trying something new and watching a movie I've never seen before, or with actors I don't normally watch.
But, if it looks like a cheesy horror movie, it will always be picked! I'm desperatly trying to find Night of the Comet on DVD here in Australia... I think I'll have to resort to Amazon.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
It's weird, I might have a movie on DVD- and never watch it, but then if I see it's coming on TV- and I have absolutely nothing to do...I'll watch it.

I have known about Death Wish 2-for forever, but it never seemed to be a movie I could bring myself to go buy and it just happened to be on TV the other day, and so I watched it.

Sometimes I can't believe how many movies there are from the 80s that are out there- that I haven't seen. It is nice knowing that no matter how hard I try I can't ever see them all.

I have been wanting someone to tell me if the movie "The Year of Living Dangerously" is good or not, because I want to buy it, but if it totally stinks , then I don't want it. I read about it, and it's set in the 50's (I think)...sometimes I love movies like that, and sometimes I don't, so that's why I was hoping to get feedback on that movie.

I bought Mausoleum not long ago, and I haven't been in the right frame of mind to watch it.

I tried watching the Tv movie about Charlies Angels, but it was dumb, I couldn't get through 15 minutes of it. But, that made me want to start watching the Tv show again.

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame you didn't like the Charlie's Angels movie Isis, I really enjoyed it. I loved the fight sequences, the music and the obvious fun that Cameron Diaz, Lucy Liu and Drew Barrymore were having.

I didn't enjoy Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle as much, like most sequels it wasn't as fresh as the original.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Stitch...I was watching a made for Tv movie about the lives of the 3 original Charlie's Angels.

This is what I tried to watch:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383915/

It stunk.

But, I didn't like the new movies at all either, and I don't think any of the new girls are even good looking...Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymoore or Lucy Lui.either ...they were horrible. I actually don't think any of those girls are good

buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love horror movies the best i have a bid on e bay for the saw movies right now gonna buy the whole set haven't seen saw 5 yet but heard it was pretty good ? and your right that charlie's angel's movie stunk!! lol
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I wondered how other people decided on what to watch?

Ip... dip.... etc.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C.Rod
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for C.Rod   Email C.Rod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If i'm bored out of my mind, I'll watch any movie just to keep my brain occupied. I have a wide variety of 80's movies lined up so when i go to watch any of them i like to do the eenie,meenie,miney,moe,where it stops nobody knows. [I like to suprise myself]
Posts: 23 | From: Hartford, Ct | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by C.Rod:
If i'm bored out of my mind, I'll watch any movie just to keep my brain occupied. I have a wide variety of 80's movies lined up so when i go to watch any of them i like to do the eenie,meenie,miney,moe,where it stops nobody knows. [I like to suprise myself]

Three words buddy... Get a girlfriend!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home