iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » over the top

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: over the top
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sly Stallone arm wrestling flick, often gets overlooked due to the Rocky franchise, but a good movie in its own right. Any fans?
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it a lot....own it on DVD and have seen it a number of times. I like Kenny Loggins' song in the movie..."Meet Me Half Way".
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching it and thinking it was nowhere near as bad as critics made it out to be.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge fan here. I saw it in the theaters when it first came out.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who's more annoying the kid from this movie or the kid from "Dutch"?

The plots are simillar where the rich snobby kid goes unwillingly on a cross country trip with his estranged father in "Over the Top" and his mom's new boyfriend in "Dutch"

Personally I would have left both on the side of the road after fifty miles.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that very offensive Sammy....I was once that rich kid travellin cross country with the Dad I'd never known and......OK.....none of that's true...I'm not rich...and I have a great Dad [Big Grin] I think though, dropping them off after 50 miles may be too generous...The kid from Over The Top was actually in General Hospital for a number of years...and there I go again informing way too many people that I know way too much about General Hospital....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember liking this movie. Gotta like Stallone.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like this movie alot i thought it was a good movie i wish they would put it on again on cable haven't seen it in years now or maybe i will just buy it like i did with black christmas which i got in the mail today gonna watch it tonight!!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When he turned around his cap, he became like a machine, like an animal, hahaha!

Winner takes it all, loser takes the fall!

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie + KILLER soundtrack.

My lucky a$$ just saw Over the Top on the bigscreen here in Los Angeles. It was quite the spectacle. Believe it or not, this good size theater was near capacity. Not only did Stallone's son, "Mike", in the movie show up to speak to the audience, but the kid that he arm wrestles at the truck stop did as well! They told some pretty over the top stories, no pun...

They also mentioned that Brigitte Nielsen (Stallone's girl at the time) was the one who scheduled the audition for the part of "Mike" in the film, and made the final casting decision.

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought this a few weeks ago having not seen it since I was a kid. It's cheesy as hell and slow moving, but it's great 80's Sly.. Worth a look people..
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Over The Top (1987) last night.

Nice movie and a perfect way to spend sunday evening.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good film. I actually remember seeing this in the Cinema with my brothers.

Nice soundtrack as well.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I like it a lot....own it on DVD and have seen it a number of times. I like Kenny Loggins' song in the movie..."Meet Me Half Way".

Supposedly "Meet Me Half Way" was a song Loggins wrote for the Top Gun soundtrack that went unused, so he recycled it for Over the Top. One listen to the lyrics and it's obvious it was meant for Top Gun. Another song that shares that distinction is Michael Sembello's No. 1 Hit "Maniac" from the Flashdance soundtrack. It was originally written for the 1980 Joe Spinell horror film "Maniac". Sembello rewrote the lyrics a bit to better suit Flashdance, but its origins are still pretty clear.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Cool journey...I can definitely here this song in "Top Gun"...Stallone had so much pull in the 80's...I wonder if he had say in the soundtracks...seems to favor Survivor, Dan Hill, Kenny Loggins....similar music styles...
Johnson's underpants
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7680

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Johnson's underpants   Author's Homepage   Email Johnson's underpants   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to this day, Hagar's "Winner Takes It All" still gets me pumped up.
Posts: 28 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frightnight
Rewind Curious
Member # 8042

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for frightnight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hell yeah, love the movie and awesome soundtrack indeed!
Posts: 7 | From: Miami | Registered: Jun 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnson's underpants:
to this day, Hagar's "Winner Takes It All" still gets me pumped up.

Sammy Hagar's version: yes. ABBA's version? not so much.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin worked for Volvo White back then and his team got to paint the 2 trucks, the crappy one he drove(yes it was really painted to look that way) and the truck he won at the end.
Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Over The Top again the other day. I've always liked it and always nice to see a buff Stallone 80s flick. [Big Grin]

Kenny Loggins... 80s soundtrack king! Love the tunes...especially "Winner Takes It All"..as mentioned above.

Sammy Hagar - Winner Takes It All

All 80s lovers MUST have this song!

As for the kid...I like him. I think I mixed him up with the kid from Flight Of The Navigator for years!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home