iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best 80's mini series (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best 80's mini series
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 80s was the golden age of mini-series in Australia.

The following is a selective list of these. I have watched some of them.

Alice to Nowhere
All the Rivers Run
Anzacs
Bangkok Hilton
Bodyline
The Cowra Breakout
Cyclone Tracey
The Dir****er Dynasty
Fields of Fire
Fields of Fire 2
Fields of Fire 3
A Fortunate Life
The Great Bookie Robbery
The Harp in the South
Heroes
I Can Jump Puddles
The Lancaster-Miller Affair
Melba
My Brother Tom
Nancy Wake
Poor Man's Orange
The Rainbow Warrior Conspiracy
The Shiralee
A Town Like Alice
Waterfront.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One I watched recent was Beulah Land from 1980

Some famous 80s actors and follows a plantation from the 1830s through til after the civil war.

Lesley Anne Warren, Madeleine Stowe, Don Johnson, Meredith Baxter, and the great Dorian Harewood.

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Shogun is hard to follow...my mom LOVES it. I bought it for her 2 years ago for Christmas. I think it might have subtitles in certain places.

I finally saw the Thornbirds for the 1st time...just a few years ago.

My mom loves Lonesome Dove.

I know this is from the 70s...but ROOTS is one of the best mini series ever made.

I bought my mom "The Holocaust"...it's from the 70's too. I got it from Greece last year, for her for Christmas. It stars James Woods and Meryl Streep. It is sad, but very well acted.

Was The North and the South from the 80s...with Patrick Swayze and Kristie Alley?

A really really good one from the 80s, is LACE. I finally got it. It has Phoebe Cates in it.

I reminds me alot of Dynasty.

In reply to your question, ISIS, yes, North And South is from the 80s and it did star Patrick Swayze and Kirstie Alley

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088583/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that The Day of the Triffids (1981) was good and scary mini-series from UK.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great mini series was 'The Singing Detective'

-

It was a joint British & Australian production.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought Windmills of the Gods (1988)

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just took a quick look at this thread's pages, and i was surprised nobody mentioned
Salem's Lot. Technically it came out late in '79, but i think most of us saw it either on
tv or on video somewhere in the '80s.
Originally a two-part miniseries with a running-time of over three hours, but later re-edited
to a less than 2 hour version for its release on videocassette.
I believe both versions are available on dvd nowadays. The original series still holds up very
well today.
Good, scary stuff !

Here's the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbJ2rQ59ZE

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yes, i own this full length 184 min UK VHS tape.
Great stuff!

-

[ 12. August 2015, 02:29: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Megaforce
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7183

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Megaforce   Email Megaforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year in the life from 1986 is one of my big favorite mini-series.
Posts: 70 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Noble House (1988)
Bought the Finnish 2-VHS set because i heard that they once again deleted some scenes from the R1 dvd.

-

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hands down, it's gotta be "V" for me..

-

I started a thread about this already in the TV Forum, so I won't get too deep into it. But I was just hooked to this show from day one. And it just got better to me from there.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone recommend Alice To Nowhere?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Alice to Nowhere was released here on VHS but i´ve never seen it.

Sins (1986) and Monte Carlo (1986) will be released on dvd here next month. Can´t wait!

-  -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just bought Aussie mini-series All the Rivers Run (1983)

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Master of the Game (1984) while the site was down.
It´s a three-part miniseries based on Sidney Sheldon novel.

"Elderly Kate Blackwell looks back at her family's life beginning with her Scottish father Jamie McGregor's journey to South Africa to make his fortune in diamonds.
The family history is littered with revenge, lust, betrayal, manipulation, and murder." (IMDb)

The first part is set in 1883. Jamie McGregor (Ian Charleson) travels to South-Africa and meets the devilish Salomon Van Der Merwe (Donald Pleasence).
I like this part the most. Good adventure feel and it´s always nice to see Pleasence.

McGregor´s daughter Katherine (Dyan Cannon) and her son Anthony (Harry Hamlin) are the main characters in the second part.
Times moves fast and it feels like every other minute someone dies. Anthony goes to Paris to study art and meets Dominique played by lovely Maryam d´Abo.
In the beginning of this ep Cannon plays a teen at 46 which was pretty hard to swallow [Smile]

The third part is pure soap opera. Anthony has two daughters (Liane Langland in dual role), one wild and one decent.
The wild one makes bad things and Katherine takes her out of her will and the rest of the ep she tries to scheme back in.

I would recommed this miniseries only for true 80´s fanatics.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The Gambler (1980) and sequel Kenny Rogers as The Gambler: The Adventure continues (1983) earlier this week.

"Brady Hawkes, The Gambler, receives a letter from his son indicating he needs help. This sends Brady to the rescue.
Along the way Brady meets up with Billy Montana, a young man who thinks he knows everything about playing cards.
Brady teaches Billy a few lessons along the way and they end up forming a strong friendship and team up together." (IMDb)

The original 90 mins tv-movie was pretty decent stuff. Rogers is cool and always has the last word and it was nice to see beautiful Lee Purcell.
Few poker games, gunfights and easygoing feel.

The sequel was a three hour miniseries originally aired in two parts. It starts basically right where the original ended.
Hawkes and his son are going to San Francisco with Billy Montana (Bruce Boxleitner again).
Evil McCourt (Mitchell Ryan) and his merry men try to rob the train but fail so they take Hawkes´ son instead and the chase begins.

This was pretty entertaining tv-stuff with co-stars like Linda Evans and Brion James.
Nice adventure feel and lots of wheelin and dealin but somehow Rogers forgot that he limped in the first film. Now he´s running like a young stallion [Big Grin]
Three more tv-films were made but i don´t have those.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anne of Green Gables (and the sequel). Loved Megan Follows.

-

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I remember watching Anne back in the day and she was also in Silver Bullet. Megan is a very good looking woman nowadays.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a bit of a cheesy action piece, Brotherhood of the Rose with Peter Strauss, David Morse and Robert Mitchum is pretty solid entertainment.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Brideshead Revisited (1981).

11 hours of rather dry british drama but i loved it. It was like a drug and i needed my daily dose.
Wonderful cast playing wonderful characters on wonderful locations.
Just finished the last episode and i already miss it.

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Anne of Green Gables (and the sequel). Loved Megan Follows.

-

Anne Of Green Gables is one of my wife's favorites...I've seen bits of each show, but not the entire series (she has them on DVD, so may watch with her someday). We are only a 1.5 hour ferry ride to Prince Edward Island where the series is based...we visit at least 2-3 times a year (my brother lives there).
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home