iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011) (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011)
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! I loved the Friday the 13th series! That show was so underrated. I don't think I get the Chiller channel. Is that like FearNet on demand? [Confused]

Speaking of Friday the 13th, they are actually putting out another one in theaters this Feb! What is this one? #18? #19? #20? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've mentioned this before, but my fav Friday the 13th movie actually goes against my no sequels clause. It might be because I saw this one before the original, but my fav is "Friday the 13th: Part 2" with Amy Steel. Also, for any "Scream" fans, I so would have gotten that question right because I knew part 2 was the first one where Jason was the killer.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get Chiller on Dish Network and Direct TV. It's NBC/Universal owned.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I have watched One Missed Call, and The Darkness Falls. Tonight I am going to watch Halloween.
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ringtone in one missed call was a bit spooky for me. i kept humming that tune well after the movie was over.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched THE HOWLING last night for the first time...

Pretty good flick! A little bizarre, but the special effects were phenomenal.

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, "The Howling" is a great movie.

I have always associated it with another movie that came out about the same time....."Wolfen". The beginning of "Wolfen" was very creepy, but stylish as well.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always get The Howling and Wolfen mixed up. I still don't know which one is which. If you really like werewolf action then you definitely need to check out Underworld and Underworld: Evolution.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Howling is available for free HD Streaming if you have Comcast Cable and On Demand right now.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
If you really like werewolf action then you definitely need to check out Underworld and Underworld: Evolution.

Yes! Both kick a$$!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wednesday 10/15:

The Initiation of Sarah (1978)

-

A college coed rejected by snotty social climbers joins an old sorority, where the house mother encourages her to use psychic powers for revenge. Starring Kay Lenz, Shelley Winters, Morgan Brittany, and Morgan Fairchild.

Kind of a 'Carrie goes to college', but a decent movie in my opinion.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, it sounds like I would like The Initiation of Sarah.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched The Howling on Demand today. What a bizarre film. The makeup effects were great, but the plot had so many holes in it! Also, was it trying to be a serious horror film or campy? I didn't get it. It was creepy in parts and gross too however. Overall, I'd give it a Halloween thumbs up.
Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Saturday Night October 18th: An electric chair gone wrong double feature

Destroyer (1988)

-

During the execution of serial killer Ivan Moser (Lyle Alzado) a prison riot breaks out. By the time the guards gain control of the prison, Moser's body is missing. The prison is soon shut down, and sits abandoned until Director Robert Edwards (Anthony Perkins) decides to film a b-level Women In Prison movie there 18 months later. Along for the shooting are camerawoman Susan (Deborah Foreman) and her pseudo-journalist boyfriend David (Clayton Rohner).

I only recommend this flick for fans of Deborah Foreman and Clayton Rohner as a chance to see them in a different type of movie.

Otherwise, watch:

Shocker (1989)

-

A killer is on the loose in a Los Angeles suburb, and a television repairman with a pronounced limp named Horace Pinker becomes the prime suspect. When the investigating detective, Lt. Don Parker gets too close, Pinker murders Parker's wife and family except for his adopted son, Jonathan, who develops a strange connection to Pinker through his dreams and leads Parker to Pinker's rundown shop. In a shootout in which several officers are killed, Pinker manages to escape. He targets Jonathan's girlfriend, Allison for retribution.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the last couple of days, I've seen the following:

Dog Soldiers on TV.

Very enjoyable werewolf flick. 7/10

An American Werewolf in London on HD DVD.

AAWIL is a movie that I've seen countless times. It feels slightly dated nowadays, but some parts of it still shine, and make you feel uneasy.

The transformation scene is still hair-raising [Big Grin] , and far more frightening than watching any CGI.

As for the restoration to HD DVD, the PQ/SQ are adequate at best.

Film: 7.5/10
PQ: 6/10
SQ: 6/10

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I watched Friday The 13th 1 & 2 on DVD.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually prefered the 2nd one. Also, Jason wearing a sack on his head is a lot scarier than a hockey mask.

Anybody else agree?

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley-where are you coming up with these movies...I have never heard of any of those movies. I think I'd like "The Initiation of Sarah" too. I might have to go look that one up .

Last night I was watching Halloween- with the audio commentary from John Carpenter, Debra Hill and Jamie Leigh Curtis....I have never watched an audio commentary ever...but this movie is so cool to me, and while I was watching and listening to the audio...it made me realize why I like it so much.... John Carpenter says that there is very little blood and violence in this movie, and people think that it is a violent movie, but the beginning scene is the only scene that really shows anything...and you don't even really see the girl being stabbed...and when she falls on the floor ...if you look...she only has a little bit of blood on her. That shot, with her without a shirt on, is really only 1 of 2 scenes that has even a tiny bit of nudity in it.

But, the way they made it....it gave people the perception of being horribly violent.

John Carpenter was talking about how he cast Nick Castle as Michael Meyers...and if you look at him...he's a small guy...but he moved in a way when he walked that made it seem scarier.

Now...they make Jason and Michael Meyers these giant monster men, and they make them incredibly violent...which totally is not what John Carpenter did...which is why his movie did so well and theirs don't.

John Carpenter was talking about the playground scene at the beginning about how the boys were teasing Tommy about the Boogie Man, John Carpenter said...in today's world a kid would pull out a gun and shoot the other kids...and I thought..wow..that he said that.

I like how this movie takes place in a nice Suburban neighborhood. They filmed most of it in California, and threw fall leaves around the set to make it look like fall in Illinois. But, it was really spring in California.

I want to know who the kid was that played Michael Meyers ...at the beginning in the clown outfit. Does anyone know what happened to him, and what he looks like today?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
The lIttle boy that played Michael Myers was Will Sandin and I have no idea what happened to him. On a side note, the little girl that played Lindsey was Kyle Richards, sister to Kim Richards and aunt to Paris Hilton.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew about Kyle Richards...I was at a Halloween party over the weekend, and there were identical twin girls there...but they had costumes on, and one had her hair cut short. But, they looked like Kyle Richards and Tatum O'Neal. I said that.. to the people they were with...and I was suprised they knew who Tatum O'Neal was.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I want to know why in Halloween...does John Carpenter and Debra Hill call Michael Meyers "The Shape"? I looked it up on imdb, and saw that's what they have listed for Nick Castle's part. I never remember hearing that said before.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since Michael's really only seen in the shadows or from a distance in this one, and given that Carpenter wanted to show him more as a dark force of evil nature than a human being (I don't think his full name is even mentioned in full at any point during the theatrical cut), it would make sense that he would seem more like a "Shape" than an actual person. 

And mentioning the theatrical cut, what does everyone here think of the extended version shown on TV for years (and still sometimes today depending on the network in question)?  While the additional scenes added in don't really add anything major and go on a little long, they do mesh quite well with the original footage.  I for one really like the scene of Loomis pleading the board of directors to move Michael to a more secure facility; Carpenter does a good job surrounding Donald Pleasance with lots of empty space to give the whole scene a more ominous undercurrent.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I agree with Chris. 'The Shape' was a name created by John Carpenter to illustrate that Michael Myers was no longer a mere human being, but he was pure evil in 'the shape' of a human body.
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

Shocker (1989)

-

A killer is on the loose in a Los Angeles suburb, and a television repairman with a pronounced limp named Horace Pinker becomes the prime suspect. When the investigating detective, Lt. Don Parker gets too close, Pinker murders Parker's wife and family except for his adopted son, Jonathan, who develops a strange connection to Pinker through his dreams and leads Parker to Pinker's rundown shop. In a shootout in which several officers are killed, Pinker manages to escape. He targets Jonathan's girlfriend, Allison for retribution.

One can’t go wrong with Wes Craven. I Love this one. Good pick Valley.

When I first saw the X-Files, I knew the face of assistant director Skinner looked somewhat familiar. It was a ‘shocker’ to find out HE was the one who played Horace Pinker.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I understand why they called him "The Shape", I just never knew they did that...because they don't say it in the movie...the first I heard of it was in the commentary, and then saw that's how they listed it on IMDB-which I must have never paid attention to it before on there.
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got to watch a couple of horror movies in anticipation for Halloween. The Howling.....hmmmm....not as good as I remember as a kid...found it quite slow, and ended up shutting it off. Fright Night....gotta love it. Just yesterday I found "Wolfen" at the bottom of my sock drawer....I bought it 1/2 a year ago....ummmm.....I sometimes hide my DVDs from my wife and "blend" them into my collection when she's not home...she may be on to me. Anyway...anyone see this one, and is it any good? Only $2.99, so if it's no good, I can live with that.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home