iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011)
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, and lets not forget about the original SALEMS LOT with David Soul.....

How creepy was THIS.>!?!?
 -

Or...THIS GUY!
 -

...or..DAVID SOULS HAIR!?!?
 -
"This is NOT chick hair.....seriously....don't call me Hutch"

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch:

1) Halloween III Season of the Witch. Not only does it have some really nasty gore scenes (tho some are implied if not shown), its just an absolutely damn creepy film on all accounts. The creepy synth score just puts this movie over the top. Yay John Carpenter.

2) The Thing, the John Carpenter Version *AND* The original Howard Hawks version. The first one is great, a near serious 1950's monster movie, and the 80's one is down right brutal....suspense...suspiscion..and some naaasty gore.

3) Yes John Carpenter RETURNS!!! Try PRINCE OF DARKNESS.....I remember being really freaked out by the PREMISE of the film. What if EVIL was tangible, in a physical sense...I know people mocked this movie for its "Evil Slurpy" effects, but keep that in the context of the movie (that the physical embodiment of the son of satan is being let loose, and trying to bring Satan himself to earth to bring about armageddon)...wooooo...Scaaary! Well not really but a creepy movie nontheless. THe very cool "visions from the future that are broadcast into your dreams via technology" adds a cool sci-fi element to the film, you see the end of the world happening...can you STOP IT!? [Big Grin]

4)Dawn of the Dead, the original version. Again, I think I see a trend that cool, creepy synth soundtracks make me feel dread....the score by GOBLIN is great in this one....as the world is slowly taken over by corpses. While the "zombie effects" are lame by todays standards for sure, the premise of the movie is really cool...who hasn't wanted to take over a mall and live there!?

5) Poltergeist...the only film that ever actually scared me. has so many creepy elements I can't begin to list them, but spooky haunted attacking tree in the thunderstorm? Come ON people...who didn't have a tree hanging out their window that you NO LONGER TRUSTED? [Big Grin] Creepy dolls and toys and, oh yeah....corpses and coffins blowing out of the ground, evil ghost demons flying around, a little girl running from "The Beast" while trapped in the nether world........wow......film at 11!

well done HeadRusch. [Smile] i couldn't agree more about the music. john carpenter was great with the sounds he created for those movies.
i love prince of darkness. 'til this day, it still scares me. it's a highly underrated gem!

i love carpenter's remake of the thing. the spider head is awesome! i have already pulled this movie out of the bin to watch here pretty soon. my copy is still sealed, and i purchased it years ago.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never seen salem's lot all the way but i do own the dvd - go figure [Roll Eyes]

is it that good? i know people here seem to like this movie.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff Headrusch! Salem's Lot is awesome for it's time. Very spooky indeed. ISIS will love those pictures too. [Razz] Poltergeist rocks as well....never get sick of that one. Halloween 4 is my favorite of the series. They're all good though.

Thanks Nowhere for the answer. I think I vaguely remember "Patch" now.

-

[ 02. October 2008, 14:13: Message edited by: 80'sRocked ]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Salem's Lot is good. I've neve seen Return to 'Salem's Lot. Has anyone else? I've always wanted to see Prince of Darkness, but it's always been on Sci-fi or something like that. When I watch a movie for the first time I wanna see the whole thing--nothing edited out.

For the record, I've always liked Halloween III. I used to sing that Silver Shamrock song as a kid, LOL.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight's double-feature : The Blob!

I'll be the first to say that "The Blob" (1988) doesn't compare to Steve McQueen's 1958 original, but the upgrade in FX makes it kind of cool. Plus for any Kevin Dillon or Shawnee Smith fans it is a must.

-

and

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

good choices valley. i love the blob remake. i have it on dvd, that's another one i'll be watching this month!

petty, you must get your hands on a copy of prince of darkness. not a lot of vid stores carry it but if you were to buy it, it would be worth the purchase. creepy movie!

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i just ordered lady in white today off amazon (through the rewind, of course) [Big Grin] .
can't wait to see it. [Smile]

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice NowhereGirl. Be sure to post your review! I love reading everyone's take on all these movies - good or bad.

Petty....I haven't seen part 2 of Salem's Lot either. Must check it out.

The Blob remake I liked alot. I never saw the original. It's better you say, Valley?

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please warn me when a picture from Salem's Lot is posted, I almost had a heart attack. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Wink]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah David Soul's hair was pretty creepy.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Friday night movie was the Jessie inspired flick from her recent thread:

Vamp (1986)

-

I've never been a huge Dedee Pfeiffer fan, but thought she was great in "Vamp".

-

Found this little interview by DeDee about "Vamp":

"Out of all the roles I've done, Amaretto from "Vamp" is the closest to me in real life. Of course, there are differences, but there's many more similarities: she's funny, she takes things day-by-day, she's sensitive and when she's into something, she's really into it."

"Vamp" was Pfeiffer's first starring role in a feature film. "I learned a lot on this movie," she says. "I learned more about the production end of filmmaking. What really made this film special was that everyone cared so much about what they were doing. The crew was so passionately involved that it made me become
more involved in the whole process. It was a marvelous education for me. I loved it because if no one really cared about what they were doing, it would have been torturous. It was such a great experience."

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I've never been a huge Dedee Pfeiffer fan, but thought she was great in "Vamp".

Not bad to look at though....She was great in that episode of Seinfeld.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Valley, where's your review of The Blob?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Valley, where's your review of The Blob?

80'sRocked, as I've mentioned before, I don't do reviews, just rambles. ha

Actually, "The Blob" movies are quite similar in plotline, but comparing Steve McQueen to Kevin Dillon was just so not fair. However, as an 80's fan, I must say that I peferred Shawnee Smith "Summer School" and Donovan Leitch "The In Crowd" over the original 1958 cast members. Also, the special effects while meek in comparsion to what they can do today were much more impressive in the 1988 version.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Saturday night October 4th:

The Changeling (1980)

-

John Russell begins a holiday with his family, but a freak accident leads to the death of his wife and child. To escape his own haunted self, he moves across the country, rents a mansion, and begins teaching at a local university. But, a haunting of a different sort occurs with echoing thumps and poltergeist mischief that can't be ignored.

CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started my Halloween Horror Fest..Friday Night i watched The FUNHOUSE & PROM NIGHT(the Jamie Lee Curtis one not the so-called re-make crap that came out last year) [Roll Eyes]

Last night i watched THE PROWLER(on VHS) THE BURNING & TRICK or TREAT(staring that dude from Family Ties)

I'm waiting untill Halloween Night to watch Night Of The DEMONS, HALLOWEEN(John Carpenter's version of course) Halloween II & III.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

you're giving me the best ideas, valley. i am definitely going to watch the changeling as well. the first time i saw this movie, i was in highschool. a girlfriend of mine had shown it to me and i loved it instantly. [Smile]

************spoilers*************

the scene where they bring the old lady to the house to speak to the little boy scared me half to death. i cannot watch that part without getting creeped out. she's scribbling the boy's answers on the paper and it just gets so intense.

another freaky scene is where the younger lady is ranting and looks up at the top of the stairs and sees the wheelchair moving...she just freezes as though she sees a ghost. it's hair raising!

i can't wait to watch this one!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen The Changeling...can you get it on DVD in stores anywhere...or is it hard to find?

I have never seen Vamp either.

I might have to go on a shopping spree.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found The Changeling at Sam's Club, quite cheap, around Halloween time a few years ago. I'm sure Amazon has it. The Changeling is a creepy movie. I saw it for the first time when I was in high school, too. I didn't think it was as creepy as Ghost Story, but it was a close second.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
I found The Changeling at Sam's Club, quite cheap, around Halloween time a few years ago. I'm sure Amazon has it. The Changeling is a creepy movie. I saw it for the first time when I was in high school, too. I didn't think it was as creepy as Ghost Story, but it was a close second.

i rented ghost story on vhs back in the 90s, but i don't recall watching. is it any good?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Ronnie-I love GhostStory...I think you'd like it. It is really creepy. I am going to look for the Changeling...my husband has to go to Sam's Club this week...I'll send him looking for it.
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

isis i think you'll enjoy the changeling.
it's spooky.. no violence. just a good ghost story. now that i think about it, i think the ghost story tape i rented was defective - that's why i never watched it.
im going to try and get a copy of it. [Smile]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Isis, you should watch "Vamp". Only the people that have seen this movie know that it contains the missing "Sixteen Candles" footage about what really happened to Grandpa Howard's au-tooo-mooo-bileee. Let's put it this way....it wasn't a lake. ha

pettyfan, "Ghost Story" is a solid movie choice, so I'm making it tonight's flick.

NowhereGirl & 80'sRocked, thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you are enjoying some of my selections.

Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next up for my Halloween movie viewing this weekend (in betweeen Phillies games [Wink] )-
FUNHOUSE and TERROR TRAIN!!

I never saw Terror Train, but I remember Funhouse being a pretty decent creepfest, starring Elizabeth Berridge from Amadeus and Cooper Huckabee from Urban Cowboy. Hey, anything horror related directed by Tobe Hooper is usually always worth a second look IMO. Comments?

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home